Adaptive steering fault

Hey guys-

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this. About a month ago, 4 different times I started the truck I got a "adaptive steering fault" warning. I called the dealer and was told that I could only bring it in when the light was lit up. It wouldn't store the code. Pretty hard to go to the dealer when it wasn't happening all the time. It did happen over the course of 2 days. Fast forward to yesterday and had it come on twice. Now it is off again. Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks

Forgot to add: 2016 Sport

Edited by Sean Jones

I have the same issue. Within a week of purchasing I have this pop up on the dash. Left at dealer for this a couple days and they said could not find an issue. Within 20 miles after picking up it pop up again and has been there every time driving since. Dropping off again. Let's see what happens.

2016 sport also

Edited by AltonFP

You need to purchase a bluetooth ObdII and the forscan app to record the issues as they occur. Then you have evidence.

Oooh! I actually have one of those in the garage somewhere. That's good thinking. But even if I get the code, won't the code or fault still need to be showing when I bring it in?

Oooh! I actually have one of those in the garage somewhere. That's good thinking. But even if I get the code, won't the code or fault still need to be showing when I bring it in?

It should but in many cases it may not. Many have driven to the dealer (turned off the Edge) then went in and said I have a CEL. Dealer goes to check starts the Edge and no CEL. Record the issue with the device and App then you have proof. Another thing do not turn off the Edge leave it running if the CEL is still on!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue guys. Long story short I dropped off my Edge on 7/22/16 and didn't receive back until 8/26/16 due to unavailable part(s).

I am actually in the process to see if Ford will buyback my vehicle due to 30 days in shop. My vehicles steering was affected and my wheel was off centered. My issue also began at 300 miles on the odometer or 1 week after purchase.

Edited by adgz
  • Like 1

That's too bad. At least you got parts for yours. I had an appointment for last Monday to go in the shop, but a couple days earlier it was giving me the fault message. I drove to the dealer, they said there was between 7 to 10 codes it was giving for it. They wrote them down and told me to come back on that Monday. The fault never came back on, and the dealer said that maybe it was a hiccup in the computer and that when they pulled the codes, it should fix everything. OK??? I wanted to believe them but now it has come on 2 times in the last couple days. WTF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine had an issue like the others above, First msg was Adaptive steering error, service required. It went away and I had several Adaptive Steering re-initializing msgs. On one occasion, the wheel was half way to the left while the car went straight. I took it in on Aug 29, the dealer found a code and had to convince Ford it needed to have the wheel replaced. It has caused me to drive my other car to Florida for the part of the year we spend there. My son is supposed to pick up the car tomorrow after they finally received the "constrained" part and will park it in the garage till I return. So far I have 25 days in the shop for a vehicle less than 4 months old. My dealer was concerned it would turn out to be a safety issue, so didn't want me to take the car on the road without fixing the problem.

I purchased a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium with all the options. I also have been plagued recently with the "Adaptive Steering Fault" warning. It comes and goes. Doesn't seem to alter how the Edge drives.
I took it to the dealer the first time it came on. But as others have noted, the light was off when they looked at it. The dealer said they couldn't "replicate" the problem, ergo... no problem.

About a week later it popped on again. This time my wife snapped a picture of it. This time they kept the Edge. For 13 days! Said they were waiting for Ford to get back to them with the issue... and how to address it. Picked it up, out money for a rental (they picked up half - still fighting that) and within a couple of days it happened again. And later again.

I have contacted Ford and they assigned a Customer Service Manager to deal with this. They contacted me... I didn't hear back. replied to the email with pictures and so far haven't heard a thing.

Bottom line? I don't think Ford has a clue why the warning light comes on. A ghost in the machine.

Edited by JnGalt52
  • Like 1

I too have an issue with the fault.

I have had the edge for 5 weeks, the dealer has had it for two and one half weeks waiting for the part.

Here too the dealer was concerned about safety issue id driven.

A small dealer but they had sold three vehicles with the adaptive steering and two have had the faulty part!

Seems to be a problem!

Some acknowledgement from ford would be nice.

• Like 1

I have 2200 miles on my 2016 Sport and just had the issue pop up today. Dropped it off to the dealer and the error went away, but it left 7 error codes behind. I also has the off center wheel with the error and extremely light steering.

What Part(s) are they replacing for you??

I too have an issue with the fault.

I have had the edge for 5 weeks, the dealer has had it for two and one half weeks waiting for the part.

Here too the dealer was concerned about safety issue id driven.

A small dealer but they had sold three vehicles with the adaptive steering and two have had the faulty part!

Seems to be a problem!

Some acknowledgement from ford would be nice.

If they're replacing it under warranty then they're acknowledging the problem.

So I've been to the dealer 4 times now. Last week it was in and am told it needs a new harness of sorts, but is backordered because Ford is working on a new design. The technician told me that this harness is not always making a good connection and the pins are not strong and that is why the fault is so sporadic. I haven't noticed any difference in the steering when the fault is there or not.

It's standard on the 2016 Sports, if I'm not mistaken.

It is indeed and I love the Adaptive Steering. I'm used to driving sports/sporty cars and when I drove the Edge Sport with this mode ON, I loved it!

I just dropped it off today, so I'll wait to hear back from the dealer tomorrow with a diagnosis.

This is definitely a SAFETY issue, as my steering was all out of whack when the error was up. I can't imagine what would happen when going 70mph down the highway and the steering went wacky!?!

Edited by Chris Furman

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received part replacement recently?

I am now at 4 and 1/2 weeks sitting in dealership.

Mine was in for 5 days, they replaced the Steering Wheel.

Only had it back for 1 day and had to take it back to the dealer the following day.

They replaced the Steering wheel with a different Part # than what was on the car originally. Was told that the Steering Wheel that includes the steering wheel control module was discontinued and super-seeded with a different part #.

Unfortunately the Adaptive Steering change from Normal to Sport no longer works. The car feels like it is stuck in Sport mode and it is very twitchy on the highway. Unacceptable. Now in another loaner.

Escalated to Ford Customer Care and the the Cust Supp Manager was extremely rude and arrogant. Offered no apology nor any compensation or comfort that the issue would be fixed.

I am heartbroken. I have this issue. I am scared to drive my car. They gave me an appointment 2 weeks out. I hate them already.

At first, I got the warning to get it serviced due to adaptive steering issue. Then it went away and I put it down to a computer hiccup. Then, after a 10 hour long trip, it came back. No change in the steering at all, so I pushed through it (ignored it) and then just today the error came up AND the steering wheel was a full one quarter turn off center. I was pissed. Brand new 44K car at 3K miles and an issue like this. Never had anything like it in 50 years of driving.

Had to get to tax office as it was last day to get them done. I had tried turning the engine off and on a few times to no avail. The vestigial steering wheel warning light with an exclamation point was still lit. I was very near empty, and got a full tank. Magically, the steering wheel went back to a proper center and warning light was gone.

I buy new precisely to avoid this type of insanity. I want them to take the car back.

It almost appears that this issue happens when low on gas. I realize that much more testing is necessary to confirm this but thought I would throw it out there in case others had the same experience.

I am desperate for help with this and will keep a very close eye on this thread. Titanium with all options. 2016 2.0.

As if to add insult to injury, I already started a website here www.fordedgeseatssuck.com due to the extremely poor design of the seats. Not to mention the known issue of a non-functioning cooling feature of these so called "seats". I did not want that stupid feature but wanted the heated steering wheel.

I can not use the car without $100 cushions on the seat. Which makes the feature of "heated seats" a non starter. Sheesh.

And to further add insult to injury, both rear lights started fogging up today! I mean really Ford? This is 2016 for God's sake.

Decent seats, lights that do not leak, and steering that just works should not be a damn mystery.

I leased. Which makes my options limited. But cannot stop me from just leaving the damn car on their lot.

Sorry for rant, but this is not what a new car experience should be. FYI, made in Canada.

Thanks for listening. Dave

Edited by CapeDave