Better MPG than the sticker?

cjd3

I took my 2012 Edge on a nice 240 mile road trip yesterday, and some how managed a 26.3 highway average. I am pretty impressed. Being a fuel miser, I tried to keep it at posted speed, which was 55 and 65. Also, the drive from Anchorage to Seward, and back was fantastic. Really impressed since our old/other vehicles probably got 19 mpg highway at best. I also loved getting home with the DTE stating 9 miles.

re running < a few gallons, unless you're running in a very dirty environment and given the filtering that is already present ... I would concur... not a concern.

My last 3 vehicles (mileages of 251,000, 174,000, ~115,000) have all been fuelies and I've run them empty (live in the boondocks - "I think I can - I think I can - I think I can - :whew: . .. I made it) may a times. The last two are still with me ....

The Edge can deliver decent fuel economy with careful driving. I've been able to get 27.5 to 28 on several long trips over 3-4 tanks of fuel. This in a FWD 2012 3.5 Limited model. On mostly level terrain. Using fuel with up to 10% ethanol. However.....that was cruising in the 65-70 MPH range, hot weather driving with climate control on auto and recirculate (saves some fuel), tires inflated 36-37 cold (in my garage 75-80 F is cold) and being careful accelerating out of rest stops, stuff like that. Basically driving for fuel economy, something many of you don't wish to do.

Going over 70 or so kills fuel economy. Maybe next body style will be more aerodynamic.

Congrats on your AWD economy run!

Edited by RJG

My '11 Limited AWD I've noticed something recently. I usually have been filling up on monday and then have to fill up on thursday or I'll not make it home. Now all of a sudden, I'm filling up on monday and making it into saturday. No change in drive to work or driving style. But .. I did realize today that my edge just had it's 15k birthday about when this started and got to thinking. Did Ford get smrt (smart) and program the ECU to run the engine intentionally rich for the duration of a normal burn-in period ?? Easy enough to do.

I had kind of thought it has felt peppier the last few weeks.

Any one know the ins of the ECU programming to confirm or debunk ?

Any one know the ins of the ECU programming to confirm or debunk ?

The PCM has an "alt" mode that it uses when the vehicle is in the factory and as it breaks in. It turns itself off after 50 miles.

All EPA and emissions testing is done with about 4-5K miles on every vehicle. So Ford has no reason at all to have the calibration change after that.

Do you always fill up at the same gas station? Seems more likely the station changed their fuel either they got some non-ethanol fuel, or for some reason they were still using winter-blend.

"fill up at the same gas station?"

Yes ... 3 blocks from my house, too convenient not to and they have the good prices, usually.

This week/tank I'm right on track to do it again. In fact, on this tank I've even got several service trips to adjoining towns that I don't usually factor in. And I'll still make it to saturday !!

About breaking in over time ... I've only had my Edge for a few months, just recently turned 15,000. This sudden increase in range was fairly sudden. I think I'm going to run some real hand math mileage numbers and see what I get.... very strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got back from a vacation to the OBX and the AWD 3.5 got around 21 mpg on the way down. I was a bit dissapointed since last summers trip when we had less than 5k on the engine was a little better (think we got 23) and our average speed was much higher (750 miles in about 10 hrs vs 450 miles in 8.5). We were actually carrying a lot more last year since we had another adult and their luggage. On the way back we were averaging around 24.5mpg the first half with top speeds around 60. But by the time we got home the average dropped a point to 23.5 with some 75-80 mph sections. Overall not horrible but still a bit dissapointed as all previous vehicles would have exceeded the rated mpg with the same driving style.

The Edge can deliver decent fuel economy with careful driving. I've been able to get 27.5 to 28 on several long trips over 3-4 tanks of fuel. This in a FWD 2012 3.5 Limited model. On mostly level terrain. Using fuel with up to 10% ethanol. However.....that was cruising in the 65-70 MPH range, hot weather driving with climate control on auto and recirculate (saves some fuel), tires inflated 36-37 cold (in my garage 75-80 F is cold) and being careful accelerating out of rest stops, stuff like that. Basically driving for fuel economy, something many of you don't wish to do.

Going over 70 or so kills fuel economy. Maybe next body style will be more aerodynamic.

Congrats on your AWD economy run!

Very good post that most can learn from. My 11 FWD SEL does about the same. The idiot gauge just showed me 28.3 when I got back from a 478 mile highway trip. Any vehicle can get better mpg if ya know how to drive for it. I kinda make it into a game to see how well I can do. Been keeping her over 22 in the city!!!!

On a recent drive in my 2011 LTD AWD with 3.5, I averaged close to 28 MPG on flat Illinois roads with speeds ranging from 55 to 65. Trip was about 120 miles. Overall I am really impressed with the MPG for a car that size and weight. On another trip, Chicago Asheville NC and back, I averaged 23+ MPG driving 75 MPH to 80 MPH loaded with luggage and passengers. Again pretty impressive. For the next generation Edge I would expect a lighter vehicle by several hundred pounds, an 8 speed transmission and smaller displacement motors with more turbo options. Until then I will keep the Edge I have.

Regarding my mileage, one thing I use is a full synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and I am pretty religious with maintaining the tire pressure. So that may also be contributing to the mileage figure. I also have a Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6 DI and I regularly get better mileage than the sticker (27 MPG vs 30 MPG) on flat Illinois roads usually with the A/C on.

I don't believe synthetic oil is improving your mileage....at least as compared to the Ford 5W20....which has some synthetic base stock in it (though I doubt very much). Full synthetic will improve mileage compared to older higher viscosity oils. When you get to the 0W and 5W oils, not much difference in friction between any oils. My new Honda CRV takes 0W20.

I figure you are just a very good and careful driver, who pays attention to how he drives his car. It takes some skill and patience to get terrific mileage.

Edited by RJG