2011 Edge: Teapot Whistle when Applying Brakes

PrinzII

Every now and then I hear a whistle similar to a teapot when I am applying the brakes. I took it to the dealer and they were unable to replicate the issue. I get this at really wierd times like when I am taking the car out of gear or even when I am stopped. I also notice the brake pedal sinking to the floor but the brakes do hold. Anyone experience this?

not knocking ... just thought it was odd that no one had responded to your entire thread from start to solution. And yes - thanks for taking the time to post the solution. Many people post the initial post and then you never hear from them again.

Hey .. I talk to myself ... and I'm ok .... right ?? Some one ..... please ! :shades:

not knocking ... just thought it was odd that no one had responded to your entire thread from start to solution. And yes - thanks for taking the time to post the solution. Many people post the initial post and then you never hear from them again.

Hey .. I talk to myself ... and I'm ok .... right ?? Some one ..... please ! :shades:

Oh no. The thing I have experienced on many forums (especially this one) is that you can have posts asking about a problem and no one lets anyone know about the solution which can be quite frustrating.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a fairly old post, but I'm bringing it back as thankfully Prinzll kept talking to himself and left the only post I could find that matched my issue. My brake's don't whistle, my brake pedal hisses like air is escaping but the rest seems the same. All works fine if I only use them for a quick full stop, but if I have to ride the brake, or hold it, it seems to slowly sink and require a lot of pressure to fully stop.

If it is the booster, is this dangerous. Would my brakes fail, or just require more force. My next service will be in a couple of weeks, so just wondering if it can wait, or should I get it in ASAP!

Thanks!

All works fine if I only use them for a quick full stop, but if I have to ride the brake, or hold it, it seems to slowly sink and require a lot of pressure to fully stop.

I would consider ANY abnormal brake response to be dangerous or potentially dangerous. I would not continue driving it until I had it checked out to see what the problem is. There are symptoms of something being wrong. Who's to say the next time you apply the brakes they don't work at all?

Get it checked out now!

This is a fairly old post, but I'm bringing it back as thankfully Prinzll kept talking to himself and left the only post I could find that matched my issue. My brake's don't whistle, my brake pedal hisses like air is escaping but the rest seems the same. All works fine if I only use them for a quick full stop, but if I have to ride the brake, or hold it, it seems to slowly sink and require a lot of pressure to fully stop.

If it is the booster, is this dangerous. Would my brakes fail, or just require more force. My next service will be in a couple of weeks, so just wondering if it can wait, or should I get it in ASAP!

Thanks!

I echo everyone else's sentiments in that you should get that checked out ASAP. Guaranteed, it's your booster.

Thanks guys! I've just contacted my dealer to setup an appointment today if possible. Anyone know how long it takes to replace the booster...if they even have one in stock? I did the email service submission so I could list as much detail as possible. Hopefully they'll agree its the booster and have one ready...but I doubt it.

Cheers!

They had to order an are replacing both the booster and master cylinder. Yet to find out why both, but I do know they were not 100% convinced it was the booster based on the test drive. Perhaps it is just cheaper to replace both then the tech time to try one and have to do the other. I'm suppose to get it back today, I'm an hour drive from where they build the Edge so I'm sure the parts will show up quickly. I hope so as I'm currently driving a metallic flouresent green Fiesta. Not quite the same...AHHHH!

I am so glad to have found this post! Just took my 2011 limited to the dealer to have a look at the brakes. They've been acting strange for about 2 weeks (weak, pedals require force sometimes, and yes, a lot of hissing!).

As I live in Brazil, the dealers here don't really know much about the Edge, so I tend to worry if something like this happens and I try to search the forums for a solution to educate them. Hehehe

Anyway, over these past two weeks I've also had the car stall twice for no apparent reason while I had my foot on the brakes at a stop light, and now the engine light came on! Weird...

I'll post the outcome when I know about it. Thanks!!