2013 Edge Limited - Can Factory Remote Start Be Upgraded?

Hello everyone, I am a very happy / proud owner of a 2013 Edge Limited 302A and it comes with the factory remote start but I live and work in areas where I can not see my vehicle and would like to know if it is possible to upgrade to the Ford 2 - Way Remote Start System.

I understand that I would have to add the second remote to my keychain which is fine with me.

I've called the dealer and I've received more "That is a good question" answers than anything. They say they will look in to it and call me back but I haven't heard back anything yet.

Does anyone know the answer to this for sure? I assume since it is plug and play it is possible? I assume I would be removing the one that came with it (which I assume but don't know is also plug and play) and replace it with the Two Way One?

Any information would be greatly apprecaited.

After serveral phone calls to my dealer I got someone that said he would look in to this for me. I got a call back this morning saying I could upgrade my existing remote start with the Factory 2-Way one for $200 which included the parts and labor to install it. After some phone tag I called back and made the appointment for next wednesday. About 10 minutes later I got a call back from the dealer saying that when he called to make the appointment with the people that do their remote start installations he was told that since I have the pushbutton start option I can not upgrade at this time. He said it might be possible in the future but nothing is offered by Ford only some after market options which I don't really want at this point.

So this is where I am at now... If anyone knows anything different please let me know.

Thanks

If Ford does not have a solution, you could look for aftermarket installers with MECP (Mobile Electronics Certification Program) credentials. They should be able to help you out. I will ask someone (on another forum) to see what they have to say.

UPDATE: Got word back that as far as they know, you would have to install aftermarket, and it would be a custom job. Vendors like Viper provide the hardware/software necessary. Probably will have to use their keyfob for 2 way functionality, not Ford's. HTH.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
u cannot remove the existing remote start but u can have a ford 2-way system installed.

Not sure if that is accurate. If I'm wrong, I'd really like to have detailed information about it.

I'm in exactly the same situation as funhouse69.

Based on a conversation with my Ford dealer's service department, you cannot piggyback a Ford two-way system onto an existing factory remote start (at least for my limited with MFT and nav). From what they said, the existing system 'would need to be replaced'. That's all they said - no further details. Guess that meant that they didn't think it was a good idea or really weren't interested in doing it.

On another forum member's suggestion, I went to a custom car installer's shop and asked about having a Directed (Viper) Smart Start system installed. They have either a two-way fob or cell-based system available that is supposed to work in conjunction with the Ford system (you can't have both cell and fob). Asked for a ballpark price and was told about $500. The installer was supposed to call me back later that day with more info, but never did. Either he doesn't need my business or has closed down...

On a side note - because I can't see my car to know if it has started, I happened to try the remote start sequence (lock - start - start) several times in a row not knowing if it had started or not. When I went out to go to work, the car had started okay, but was still running. Looks like the run time may stack on occasion since mine is set for 15 minutes and it was still running almost 25 minutes later.

• 1 month later...

This discussion may lean me to spending more money :spend: as I am about to order a new Edge (or Exp?), and wasn;t even going to get remote start. But the more I thought about it, I decided that it could be very handy at times. NOW I need to decided which RS I am going to want. Oh.. if only that lotto ticket woulda paid off :happy feet:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, it can. Look up http://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html use your smart phone from anywhere, anydistance to start your car. Requires Ford subscription of $49 a year to keep using. It will probably run about $450 installed once done. If you have a limited, check VIN at dealer and verify if module is already installed or not. Just bought a 2013 Edge SEL Saturday and the Sales guy knew nothing about this.

Just had installed 2 way range extender in my 2013 SEL with the factory remote start it can now start from 1 mile away and shows me on the remote if its running or not you will need a

second remote. It is aftermarket from viper cost me $350.00 with the fancy color remote but can get cheaper if you dont want 2 way or you can just add smart start if you don't want extra remote. Ford dealers where no help other than saying go see aftermarket installers.