2011 Edge Sport, 28k miles, dealer claims I need rotors

Had some issues with the pass rear brake holding up after highway speeds. I took my edge to the dealer. They called me back and told me the inside brake pad had come loose and that it was 2/3rds worn and that it was due to rust. He then tells me that I also need a new rotor. After this he explains I would need another new rotor on the drivers rear too. He claims they inspected the front brakes and they are on their way to corroding and I should replace the from rotors as well. He tells me this happened because I did not get the "15k mile brake service". This is my forth brand mew Ford and second Edge in a row, I have never ever done a 15k mile brake service on any vehicle. He also tells me my pads are fine and only half warn except for the pad that was rubbing the rotor. None of this is covered by any factory warranty. I also have the premium Ford extended warranty.

I called Ford direct and start a claim, the district rep calls me back and basically says this is a maintenance issue and will not be covered under warranty. When I started the claim the operator was able to look back at my warranty service history and told me the dealer had logged that they inspected my brakes at 20k miles back in March and everything was fine. I explained this to the district rep but was basically called a liar and she told me that they can not go into my service records and see when stuff was done. I told her I was on fordowner.com and was literally reading it from my computer when I was telling her. Nothing. I called the dealer back and picked up my truck. I am frustrated. I don't know who or where to call next. The service manager told me he would help me out but Ford requires pictures of everything now so there is no room to even wiggle. Any suggestions? Or am I wrong? Should these brakes be falling apart at 28k?? I am obviously not a heavy braker if my pads are still at half life at 28k so it isn't my foot. Thanks.

Brakes should last easily 30,000 miles, more if you brake gently. Substantial stop-and-go would decrease longevity. It is normal to have surface corrosion on rotor hubs and on the circumference. Also normal to have surface corrosion on the rotor's fricition surface if sitting for a few hours and/or in humid weather. It is possible that the caliper is sticky and not pushing evenly against the pads. The "rust" may have come off the rotor after braking. Could also have a fluid leak somewhere in the system or a damaged brake line, etc.

Are you feeling any vibration or hearing any chirping noise? How do you know it's your rear brake not performing?

Dealer's definitely sounds like he's trying to get your money for unnecessary work or insufficient diagnostics. Ford is not stepping up locally either.

So at the very least, I would a) go to a different dealer, and B) call the National Ford Customer Service Line if needed. National has been known to assist where Local has not.

Due to where you live I would say that the rust issues are normal, and a brake pad separating from the backing is not normal, but not exactly rare either. Brakes are one place where you should not go cheap. As for the dealers response, I would unfortunately say they are right. Brake pads and rotors are a wearable item, and if the caliper has not malfunctioned, it is hard to hold Ford responsible for a defective brake pad. They are advising you to replace both rear rotors because they are sold in pairs, as are brake pads. As for replacing the fronts also, they may be trying to make some money off you, but without you taking the car to another dealer or an independent, it is hard to tel. I would doubt that the dealer would even let you take the car back without the repair due to liability. I hate to say it, but I would either pony up and pay for a full brake service or have them tow the car to your house. You can get a full PowerStop brake kit including slotted rotors and ceramic pads for the front and rear from Amazon for $400 with free shipping and the job can be completed in your garage with simple hand tools.

Good luck

I already have contacted National Ford customer service and the lady was unwilling to have an adult conversation with me. She said "brakes are a wear issue and Ford will not cover them". The dealer put my truck back together and I drove it home. I purchased four rotors and all the pads for $300 and I am going to do the brakes myself, yes I do know how. lol I am not giving up on getting through to someone at Ford. I am disappointed that they werent even willing to meet me half way on something, like I pay for pads and they warranty the rotors. I am 33 years old and this is my forth brand new Ford in a row. I can honestly say I wont buy another Ford product again if this is where Ford's cutomers service future is headed.

I knew it was my rear passanger side brake because after highway speeds I started to hear that wheel making noise. When I would get to where I was going, I would get out and look through the rim. The rotor was so hot I could feel the heat from about a foot away from the wheel. A few times, when coming to a stop after highway speeds, the caliper wouldnt release when I let off the brake pedal, so it made a loud clunking noise. I thought the caliper was the problem, so I took it in to be checked.

The thing that really gets me is that the National Rep tells me its a "wear" issue and the local service dept tells me my brake pads are half, which says to me I am not a heavy foot on the brake, especially at 28,000 miles. At this point my focus is more about the National Rep basically calling me a liar when I told her that the Ford phone operator was able to tell me that at 20,000 miles all of my brake componants were visually inspected at a Ford dealer and that everything was fine. If they did this or not, I dont know, but its on my service log and the National Rep claims that the Ford computer system can not see service records only warranty. The funny thing is, I brought the Edge in for engine noise, under warranty and the service was billed under warranty. I called the Ford 1-800 number back but the phone operator was not allowed to "comment on the situation" because he saw I had a claim open. Game on Ford. :runaway:

• Like 1

It seems like Ford is paying attention to more "serious" issues like engines blowing up, but not to "wear/tear" items, even though they are directly safety related. Brakes were weak-ish on the 07-10 Edges, supposedly addressed in 11 with redesigned brake booster. The door latch issue is another such example. I am assuming that in "wear/tear" cases, Ford is relying on what the dealer has to say, which makes sense, but can certainly be infuriating.

Would you mind documenting the old parts as you take them off so we all can see what is going on? Good luck!

Yes, I will put up some pics, most likely tomorrow. I am saving all of the old parts just in case I do get somewhere with Ford. I read some stuff online about Disk Thickness Variation (DTV) and how the calipers can be slower to open. It basically machines the rotors over time and breaks them down. This sounds exactly like what the rear passanger wheel I took it in for was doing, the caliper wasnt opening back up enough to allow the rotor to spin freely. I know I live in a region with more snow and our city uses salt on the roads but I have never had this happen on any vehicle at 28,000 miles I have ever owned, let alone a Ford. We shall see where this goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I still havent put any pics up, the parts are sitting in my garage. I wrote 5 letters to various departments at Ford, including William Ford jr, Fredrick Tooney who is the global CEO of customer service. I also sent a letter to the Board of Directors. Who knows where it will get me, if anywhere, but at least I feel like I had a right to complain lol

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2008 edge Ford Certified used, with 47k on the odometer. When we bought it, the front brakes were grinding. Ford fixed this before we drove the car off the lot. It now has 71k on the odometer and the brakes are grinding again. The car doesn't pull left or right when applying the brakes, and I can't feel any vibration in the brake pedal. The sound doesn't seem to happen when the road is wet. The sound is very loud and concerning. Having to start with brake issues after 24k miles (even with dealer servicing) is concerning. I have driven only Ford vehicles since 1995. This is my third Ford product, and I have owned cars from virtually every American manufacturer. I have am always gentle on the brakes. I have NEVER had brake issues after so few miles.

VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Depends on the dealership, but it is very likely the rotors and pads were simply cleaned/resurfaced, not replaced. So you probably got better mileage out of them than someone who really steps on the brakes :)

Probably best to replace the brakes (rotors/pads) with aftermarket like EBC or PowerStop. Then be sure they are bedded in properly.

Just did the pads and rotors on mine last weekend. Went for aftermarket slotted and what a difference it has made. Just goes to show that brakes for put on the edges where really cheap to begin with. Not sure if the sports were the same but the limited rotors where warped to shit. Probibly doesn't help me running 24's on it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds familiar. Our once enjoyable Edge Sport has turned into a comedy of errors and breakdowns. The most recent being the rear caliper pins seizing locked and burning the break pads and rotor up. (Took multiple trips before they would investigate at 2 different dealers) I've been told they'll fix the the issue (our Edge is still well under warranty) and "as a courtesy" machine the rotors but pads aren't covered and will be $150+ even though they are now worn due to the stuck pins and were JUST inspected less than 500 miles ago and told they were fine with plenty of life left. Even with Z plan I have no intention of ever purchasing another Ford vehicle again. Sadly, I can honestly say I've had better warranty coverage with Chrysler of all companies than Ford. Utterly ridiculous.

I was having a similar issue with my 2011 Sport pulsating when braking (25,000 Miles / 40,000 Km)

After i first felt the pulse it took me 2 weeks to get to the dealer and have it checked out

Here is what they found

Measure rotor run out -

Front has .006-.008 Runout

Machine front brake rotors

Measurement before was 28.15 MM - RT Side - After 27.70 mm

Measurement before was 28.05 MM - LF Side - After 27.75 mm

Rear brakes are good

I have the FMPP maintenance plan so all was covered

Service advisor said this is a known issue

Edited by tmbubell

• 8 months later...

If this continues and you get nowhere, I would contact the states attorney's office! I am having a severe issue with my 2008 Edges brakes and they are wonky! They make a horrible sound when I stop, you can feel it in the break peddle, sometimes it won't even stop!

The dealer greased the calipers, turned the rotors (twice) get the rust off and too the glazing off of the brake pads. I brought up the forum while I was sitting at the dealer and my service guy comes up and asked me what I found on my machine (iPhone) I told him what other issues everyone was having and I absolutely know that they know it's something serious! I am demanding they tear the brakes apart and I will be telling them that they are not to turn the rotors for a third time! I know that's not what it is, if my car fails to stop and I hit someone who is that person going to sue? Certainly not my dealer and Ford!!

I really would like to demand new boosters and calipers. I will be taking the car in Sunday for work Monday! In the meantime I will be driving Ford Mustang to work. I hate taking my baby into the city with all the crazies but I have no other choice.

Can someone give me feedback one post so I have some ammunition when I talk to my service guy!!

I put expensive EBC Greenstuff pads and rotors on my Escape a few years back. We has this winter that was snow/Salt mix on the road 50% of the time. I always wash my car down(under carriage, wheels brakes etc. All within a day of the roads drying up. Well that winter I tried my hardest to keep the car clean. But my brakes and rotors completely rotted. I had to replace them with less than 20,000 mile on them. My set before that lasted 80K! So salted roads and heavy wheels(Sports have heavy 22's) can do some serious damage. I would do both rotors and both sets of pads to keep everything equal. If you clean off the wheels and brakes with fresh water after getting soaked with salt water it should give your brakes a longer life.(Maybe).

How many miles on your current pads/rotors, kghayes? You may need a brake booster, in addition to new pads/rotors (unfortunately, I have to recommend non-Ford parts for p/r). I will be getting my brakes p/r done soon with a brake flush.

And definitely change dealers/shops if unhappy with service. Plenty of recommendations on yelp, repairpal, dealerrater, etc.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have 77k on the rotors and have had the brake pads changed out about 3 years ago. I was Coming home from work yesterday and my brakes wouldn't stop me. Good thing I leave at least 8 car lengths in front of me or I would have rear ended the person in front of me. I called my service guy to tell him what happened and he knew I wasn't happy as he always says no matter what the problem I'm always happy and understanding so I told him that I wanted him to take a good look at the brake booster. But having to work during the week it's hard to get the car to the into the dealer due to working an hour away from where I live and the dealer is another 45 minutes from my house. He said they would pull off the brake booster and check it thoroughly. I do trust he will as I have a good working relationship with him. I'm very honest with him in my feelings about how this issue is causing more stress than what is needed.

My husband has been working on cars for years and we have had several discussions as to what it might be. Being with him for all these years has really educated me on my car and any car. And this forum has given me the ammunition to tell them exactly what I want them to check and why!!

Thanks to everyone of you who have posted and keep posting!! I look forward to reading more posts and trying to help others!!

Yep this girl loves your help and hopefully being right!!

Kghayes213, I don't understand some of what you are saying. On April 1, you posted complaining about your brakes being "wonky" and that sometimes they don't even STOP the car! You made a comment about who would get sued if you were in a crash because of the brakes.

Now you post you are still driving it, and the brakes actually went completely out again. The answer as to who will get sued is YOU because you are not acting responsible. You are continuing to drive a vehicle with a KNOWN brake problem. You said your husband has worked on cars for years. If that is a fact, he should know better than to let you drive the Edge until the problem is fixed.

You also said you would be driving the Mustang to work but hate to because of all the crazies. Sorry, but I believe you are the crazy driving a car with known brake problems. How can you maintain at least 8 car lengths between you and the car in front of you? You were lucky this time by not rear ending the car in front of you. Sounds like another recipe for disaster just waiting to happen!

Get the Edge off the road until the brakes are fixed. Be responsible and don't put others or yourself at risk!

:shrug:

I can understand the many complaints about "premature" brake wear on many of your vehicles. But everyone needs to keep in mind that the more harsh the enviroment, the more maintenance is required on our cars. The OP lives in upstate New York and I'm sure that NYDOT is working hard to keep roads driveable by using the latest chemical technology. These chemicals have undoubtedly caused a caliper slide pin to seize, causing the brake pad to wear out ahead of the others. If you drive under harsh conditions, extra service work is reqired.

I lived in Florida for 40+ years and hardly ever had brake problems on anything I drove (mostly Fords). In Minnesota for 4+ years and I've done more undercar repairs and service than the last 40! The difference is no road chemicals in Florida, unless you count roadkill!!

Road chemicals take a serious toll on suspension and brake parts. I have a new routine every spring. Pull wheels, clean and lube caliper slide pins, clean rust and scale from brake pads and calipers. and while the wheels are off I wash what I can touch with soap and water.

This kind of maintenance is not usually found at a repair shop where the techs are paid by the job. Get em in, get em out. That's how these boys make their money.

Shrug:

I thought his was a site to help people and ridicule them. I have stopped driving the car, for your information the issue had stopped and them started again!

I don't feel the need to explain myself to someone like you!

If you can't say anything nice........don't say anything at all! And if you can't help try and figure out what it might be wrong with my brakes please don't comment!!

I see that your rudeness runs rampid

Unfortunately, your lack of concern for other peoples safety from your own actions was inexcusable.

My rudeness I guess was asking why you would endanger other people and yourself by driving a car with "wonky" brakes that sometimes wouldn't even stop the car (your own words). Even after you said you were going to drive a different car (Mustang).

Hope you are able to find the cause of the brake problem and can get back to driving safely.

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1