cooling fan problems

john latham

• 4 weeks later...

Took mine in a couple of weeks ago for warm AC at idle, they replaced the fan assembly AND found it was a little low on refrigerant. Ran a vacuum test, passed, told me it's common to lose a small amount of refrigerant over the years due to seals swelling in the summer and shrinking in the winter. Just saying ...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So is there a certain temperature the engine gets to and the pcm tells the fcm to turn the fans on. I have a 2008 Ford edge that over heated in traffic. I throw 12 volts and a ground to each fan and they do not work. After making a attempting at supplying power and ground for about 15 mins to each fan I decide to turn the fan while supplying power and ground and what do you know they start to pick up speed and run. I'm wondering if one fan went out then the other. I took my edge to a place and said there was a code with the fan control module in the history. But at the time it was operating ok. I'm just wondering if the fcm wiped the fans out or made them weak. Looking for assistance

So is there a certain temperature the engine gets to and the pcm tells the fcm to turn the fans on. I have a 2008 Ford edge that over heated in traffic. I throw 12 volts and a ground to each fan and they do not work. After making a attempting at supplying power and ground for about 15 mins to each fan I decide to turn the fan while supplying power and ground and what do you know they start to pick up speed and run. I'm wondering if one fan went out then the other. I took my edge to a place and said there was a code with the fan control module in the history. But at the time it was operating ok. I'm just wondering if the fcm wiped the fans out or made them weak. Looking for assistance

Replace the whole unit and be sure it will work. Use motorcraft fans to be sure they will work and be compatible. Others have had mixed results with aftermarket. This link is the to MC Fan for 2008-2014 wo towing. http://amzn.to/2FboErA

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have, what seems to be, a very common problem with my 2013 Edge.  Overheats in stop/go traffic or City driving.  I put the AC on Max and pop the hood.  Neither fan is spinning.  After reading various threads about this, I start at the fusebox under the hood.  Fuses good.  Check the connections to the relay, nothing obvious, i.e. connectors not burnt or corroded, but the module itself looks like it might have gotten hot.  The label on the module is discolored and flaking off.  After another quick search I figure that I need to replace the relay.  Relay replaced and still no fans.  Replace fan assembly, with a Dorman, and return relay, still no fans.  While I seem to be enjoying this  game of throw parts at the problem, I honestly don't know where to go next.  I read somewhere that the Cylinder Head Sensor may be bad which may be causing the relay to not turn off/on but cannot confirm that information.

Any thoughts?

The temp sensor has nothing to do with the A/C turning on the fans.  I'm not sure how to go about this but are you getting a signal from the computer to turn the fans on?  Is there power going to the relay?

I haven't heard very good things about Dorman replacement parts.  I bought a mirror motor replacement from them and it was a POS.  Test the electrical to the fan and see if there is a signal and power.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Runterborn said:

I have, what seems to be, a very common problem with my 2013 Edge.  Overheats in stop/go traffic or City driving.  I put the AC on Max and pop the hood.  Neither fan is spinning.  After reading various threads about this, I start at the fusebox under the hood.  Fuses good.  Check the connections to the relay, nothing obvious, i.e. connectors not burnt or corroded, but the module itself looks like it might have gotten hot.  The label on the module is discolored and flaking off.  After another quick search I figure that I need to replace the relay.  Relay replaced and still no fans.  Replace fan assembly, with a Dorman, and return relay, still no fans.  While I seem to be enjoying this  game of throw parts at the problem, I honestly don't know where to go next.  I read somewhere that the Cylinder Head Sensor may be bad which may be causing the relay to not turn off/on but cannot confirm that information.

Any thoughts?

Have you captured any wiring diagrams to start diving into the power and ground of the circuit itself? I looked them up and it looks like this isn't a typical relay controlling a high current circuit like a blower motor relay circuit would be. Apparently the module has a relay, but there is no direct method to power the fans. Which relay were you checking? I don't see a relay for cooling fans in the underhood fuse panel diagram.

Engine cooling fans diagram.JPG

fan module relay.JPG

eda19425-f1b5-4df8-a997-1448c1f89e1dclfm12_edge_214.gif

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mvan231 said:

Have you captured any wiring diagrams to start diving into the power and ground of the circuit itself? I looked them up and it looks like this isn't a typical relay controlling a high current circuit like a blower motor relay circuit would be. Apparently the module has a relay, but there is no direct method to power the fans. Which relay were you checking? I don't see a relay for cooling fans in the underhood fuse panel diagram.

Engine cooling fans diagram.JPG

fan module relay.JPG

eda19425-f1b5-4df8-a997-1448c1f89e1dclfm12_edge_214.gif

There is a relay on the drivers side of the fan assembly.  I have the towing package so there was one lead going in and two, one to each fan, coming out.  Based on the diagram above the relay plugs into C1554.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Dormans suck - that might either be a bad unit or the connection isn't good.  I would assume the temp sensor is the same one that's feeding the temp gauge so if that shows it overheating then that's probably not the problem.  

That is what I am afraid of.  I may just bite the bullet and buy and OEM to see if that fixes the problem.  The removal and reinstallation was quite easy I must say.  On a side note, our Edge has 198,000 miles on it and has had one type of electrical issue or another since we purchased the dang thing.  

50 minutes ago, Runterborn said:

There is a relay on the drivers side of the fan assembly.  I have the towing package so there was one lead going in and two, one to each fan, coming out.  Based on the diagram above the relay plugs into C1554.

That is quite interesting that it isn't in the diagram. Do you have photos of the unit? I wonder if you apply direct power to the fan motor power if it will spin. Could be that the cooling fan module itself is dead

Ultimately I called the dealership and ordered an OEM fan assembly and installed it one night after work.  The OEM assembly worked and both fans cycle as expected. 

The overheating issue is gone for now.  Pulled the Dorman out and returned it.  

Edited by Runterborn
  • Like 1