Cleaning and Resetting Vista Roof Rails

The Vista Roof on our '10 Edge has always been slow but its now getting to the point that it is extremely slow for the last 10" of closing.

We've had dealer look at the issue each time we had it in for servicing since new (under warranty). Took it back this past week and they still claim that the motors pass all diagnostic and that the roof rails need cleaning and resetting? Asked me if I parked under a tree as they were very dirty (which we don't).

Seems odd that this had been done multiple times with little success.

Is this a service I can do instead of paying for 2 hours labour at the dealer? I've seen the 3 videos from a gentlemen addressing the 'fail to close' issue but he only speaks to cleaning the grease from the rails and then lubricating, not 'resetting.'

Any info would be appreciated as I'd like to get this done next week before it gets really cold!

Will snap some pics if that helps. Just tell me what shots would be most helpful.

I was able to pick up a 2013 Ford Service Manual on disc from a seller on eBay for a great price. Here is a copy of the manual instructions for initializing the roof motor. Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Roof Opening Panel Motor Initialization

SDV~us~en~file=ani_caut.GIF~gen~ref.GIF WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.

NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

1. Start the engine.
  1. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.
  1. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.
  1. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).
    • For a new drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.
    • For an existing drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.
    • The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.
    • After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.
  1. NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.
    • The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.
  1. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.
    • If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I cleaned the rails today. They were dirty and packed with grease. Nice and tidy now but the roof still closes at an incredibly slow rate and almost stalls as it approaches the last 6".

Assuming I need to replace the motor....

Anyone know where I can source the roof motor from? Privacy shade works normally.

• 2 months later...

Make sure to clean and lube the rails behind the sun roof as well (you'll see them under the rubber flap), also don't miss the vertical guide rails on the far outside of the opening (look for the black plastic "s" channel that sucks the window down when fully closed). All in all there should be 5 rails per side you lube:

1-Bottom inner

2-Bottom outer

3-Vertical guide

4-Rear inner

5-Rear outer

I'm guessing those rear rails are the most missed as well as the most in need to preventative maintenance as they are essentially exposed to the elements all the time. One good automatic car wash could scrub all the lube out in one pass.

Edited by Netwalker

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Just noticed the same thing on my few day old Edge!!!

Has anyone tried to get the dealer to replace the motor?

Had me dealerships service manager check another vehicle with a vista roof. That sounded much smoother compared to mine.

Told me to come back in two days.

This time he tells me oiling and greasing didn't help much. But apparently another edge on thier lot is worse than mine!

Don't think i trust them after reading these forums

Can I use WD-40 as a lubricant instead of grease? I just thought I would get up there and spray the edges and see how it works out but I don't want to mess anything up.

Mine opens and closes up perfectly but I noticed that it is slower than what it used to be since I bought the car in 2013/5. My warranty ends in about 2 months so I want to test WD-40 and see what happens (if it works out, then all the issue is with lubricating and not the motor) but if it's the motor then I need to have that replaced before my warranty ends.

Edited by BlackEdition

Can I use WD-40 as a lubricant instead of grease? I just thought I would get up there and spray the edges and see how it works out but I don't want to mess anything up.

Mine opens and closes up perfectly but I noticed that it is slower than what it used to be since I bought the car in 2013/5. My warranty ends in about 2 months so I want to test WD-40 and see what happens (if it works out, then all the issue is with lubricating and not the motor) but if it's the motor then I need to have that replaced before my warranty ends.

Temporarily, yes, but it won't stay on long term like grease.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't had any issues on our 2013 edge limited with the vista roof in the 2 years we have owned it.

My question is the rubber that is connected to the glass and the actually silver base.

It looks like an accordion and minimizes noise I believe.

It stays with the roof when moving or stationary. The left side is fine, the right side (passenger side) always seems to move and become disconnected. It snap back in place and isn't a huge deal, just annoying as whenever my wife uses it I have to reach up and push it back in place.

any thoughts, help?

I haven't had any issues on our 2013 edge limited with the vista roof in the 2 years we have owned it.

My question is the rubber that is connected to the glass and the actually silver base.

It looks like an accordion and minimizes noise I believe.

It stays with the roof when moving or stationary. The left side is fine, the right side (passenger side) always seems to move and become disconnected. It snap back in place and isn't a huge deal, just annoying as whenever my wife uses it I have to reach up and push it back in place.

any thoughts, help?

Iput a drop of gorilla glue on the front side edge of them and have havent had the falling off problem since