13N02 - Extended Warranty Coverage on Brake Booster

omar302

• 4 weeks later...

Having the brake booster symptoms on my 2011 SEL. Called dealer. they looked at it and said it was a "brake booster valve" not the booster itself, and said that wasn't covered. Cost 44.00 for the part and 220.00 for labor. Got the car back and it still has the hissing noise. Is there any way I can prove its the booster itself? What test do they do for knowing if a booster is bad? I'm extremely unhappy. Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had the brake booster problem on Edges made prior to the 13N02 dates of the 2010 through 2012? I just took my 2008 Edge in because the pedal was mushy and it made a hissing noise (like air being let out of a tire), cause was confirmed to be the brake booster. Why is the 13N02 limited to only fords made through those years, was there a separate manufacturer of the booster during that time or something?

Just had my brake booster replaced. Experienced a low hiss when I close all windows and turned off radio.

When I pressed the brake, the RMP would raise a little and stay that way, supposedly it should raise and then lower.

Now when I hit the brake, the RPM doesn't move which I am fine with!

The replacement also seemed to have fixed the acceleration which I believe was affected by the leaking air from vacuum lines.

• Like 2

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have stumbled across this site.

I have been experiencing the problems described here and was researching how to do the repairs myself. My local tire shop said there was no problem with the brake system but that I should flush the brake fluid. I suspected the booster but had no idea it was a known issue or covered under a warranty extension. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for an inspection.

I love this Edge and have been very pleased with Ford and my dealer. We all worked through the sync system bugs when the vehicle was new. Other than that the car has been almost perfect. I'll be searching this site for other edge related issues, particularly transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife called me today to tell me that the brakes started hissing inside the vehicle. She got home and sure enough, they hiss and feel spongy. If I hold the brake pedal down it gets harder and slowly goes all the way down. Brake booster? I have not changed nor messed with brakes, pads etc at all. Going on 60k miles and out of warranty. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning, hopefully get something resolved.

Edited by Edge_Beast

• 2 weeks later...

Same symptoms here on my '11 Edge SEL. Taking mine to the dealer tomorrow morning. Call my service guy today, he looked up my vehicle and they had never done this addressed this TSB on my vehicle. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Peace,

DM

Same symptoms here on my '11 Edge SEL. Taking mine to the dealer tomorrow morning. Call my service guy today, he looked up my vehicle and they had never done this addressed this TSB on my vehicle. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Peace,

DM

Hi DM,

How did your dealer trip go? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll see how to assist.

Meagan

All fixed. Took it to the dealer yesterday morning and it was done by the afternoon. No charge, all covered under warranty. My brake pedal is back to normal and working well. They even did a wheel alignment too.

I'm good.

Peace,

DM

Glad to hear it!

Meagan

So my edge started having these issues this morning. Got in my car to leave and something didn't feel right with the brakes. I have a 2011 with just over 50k and have had it for less than 6 mths.. not a happy camper. Went to leave my house this evening and the brakes felt squishy, i had a long day so i had just thought ut was my mind playing tricks on me. Started to head home and pull out of the parking lot and pushed pedal in and they went from rock hard and then straight to the floor with very little stopping of the vehicle. Tried to go forward and brake again and got the same result, felt like i had to stand on the brake to get it to stop. Thank goodness the nearest ford dealer was less than a mile away so i limped it over there and it sits until morning when i can finally call them. I am guessing it is the booster by reading all these posts. Lets hope for the best tomorrow.

So my edge started having these issues this morning. Got in my car to leave and something didn't feel right with the brakes. I have a 2011 with just over 50k and have had it for less than 6 mths.. not a happy camper. Went to leave my house this evening and the brakes felt squishy, i had a long day so i had just thought ut was my mind playing tricks on me. Started to head home and pull out of the parking lot and pushed pedal in and they went from rock hard and then straight to the floor with very little stopping of the vehicle. Tried to go forward and brake again and got the same result, felt like i had to stand on the brake to get it to stop. Thank goodness the nearest ford dealer was less than a mile away so i limped it over there and it sits until morning when i can finally call them. I am guessing it is the booster by reading all these posts. Lets hope for the best tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup to all above. '13 is currently in for booster replacement.

Symptoms are:

1) Brake pedal is stiff initially on start up, with one or maybe 2 depresses of the pedal. Down then release up. Consecutive depresses are spongy in feel and pedal can be pressed, what seems like, to the floor.

2) On consecutive application of the pedal down and up you probably will hear what sounds like a respirator in a hospital environment breathing. The sound emanates from the engine compartment directly in front of the driver, or even under the dash at the drivers feet. Ambient noise should be at a minimum. It is easiest to observe these characteristics when the vehicle is in PARK.

Tranny problem? Might have suspected with the 6 speed and it's constant searching. We'll see...

Now for those PESKY door ajar switches! DING-DONG... DING-DONG the witch is dead!

From what I am reading the 13N02 - Extended Warranty Coverage on booster brake only covers Edge model years 2010 to 2013. I have a 2007 SEL Plus that is experiencing the same problem at 85,000. Does anyone know if there is a similar recall/extension for the 2007?

• 1 month later...