Tow Package/Radiator/Cooling Fans

I have a 2012 Edge SE, and will be towing a 2,200lb boat. Add the trailer to it and gear it it is probably closer to 3,000lbs. As far as I can tell the Edge tow package (which I do not have) only adds a larger radiator and upgraded cooling fans. (and trailer sway control which I could care less about) Does the radiator also serve as a transmission oil cooler or am I missing something?

I've found the following part numbers for the radiator w/tow package and the cooling fans:

Radiator w/tow package Motorcraft 7T4Z-8005-A

Upgraded cooling fans Motorcraft RF-259

Is there anything preventing me from installing these in my 2012 SE? Anything I'm missing?

Help appreciated!!

-Matt

Here is a link for the Ford site which describes the tow package, and the consequence if you tow without the factory package optional package installed (loss of warranty). How strict they would enforce that, I have no idea. How could they tell if you towed? I have no idea. I do know the tow package was not an option on an SE model. This is for a 2013, but I am sure the 2012 is the same. Perhaps if they even see a hitch on the vehicle and not an upgraded radiator they could deny warranty coverage?

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_edge_oct1.pdf

Interesting that I checked some older posts about the 2008 models, and owner's talked about the package containing transmission fluid cooler and oil cooler. Now the 2011 and up models don't specifically mention either one of those items. Looking at replacement parts for a 2012, there is a transmission fluid cooler shown. I think maybe all 2011 and up Edge's may have the cooler for the transmission. It is shown as part 7A095B on one of the Ford parts catalogs found on line.

The other item included with the tow package is the Tow Mode setting which will change the transmission shift points, and other transmission behavior when it is set to on. I have never towed with my Edge which has the factory package so I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. I have read other forums where the owner's praised the Trailer Sway setting while towing.

Edited by ls973800

I crawed beneath my Factory Tow Package equipped 2012 MKX and I can see the transmission cooler lines and related components shown in the attached Ford Parts online illustration.

The transmission cooler is separate and immediately forward of the (engine cooling) radiator. A Ford Parts illustration of the radiator is also attached.

I'm not aware of any setting of the Factory Tow Package which modifies transmission shift points, though the "Distance to empty" calculation can be changed to use a lower Towing MPG value, and the Trailer Sway Control can be turned "off" or left "on", which is its default setting.

Good luck!

post-23702-0-31103900-1392948885_thumb.jpg

post-23702-0-47808300-1392948903_thumb.jpg

It seems the transmission cooler is part of the A/C condenser, like the '08 Taurus I had before, online parts catalogue dies not show different condenser option which would mean it is the same for tow & non-tow packages.

Note to OP, not having the tow package does not mean you cannot tow, the stock Edge without tow package is still rated to 2000lbs.

Copied from the Ford towing guide I posted a link to in an above post. Perhaps the TorqShift transmission has the Tow/Haul button standard? What is the difference between a TorqShirft transmission and the transmission they are saying to just downshift manually? Since I have the factory tow option, when I found the Tow/Haul switch or selection, I thought it was a part of the tow package.

Maybe it's really a part of the TorqShift transmission? What determines if you have a TorqShift transmission? V-6 engine?

Towing On Hills
Do
wnshift the transmission to assist braking on
steep downgrades and to increase power (reduce
lugging) when climbing hills
W
ith TorqShift
®
transmission, select Tow/Haul
Mode to automatically eliminate unwanted gear
search when going uphill and help control vehicle
speed when going downhill

Towing limits per the Ford towing manual is 1500 lbs for the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost FWD, 3500 lbs for the 3.5 V-6 FWD or AWD, and 2000 lbs for the 3.7 V-6 Sport model with 22 inch wheels FWD or AWD. Towing over 2000 lbs requires the Class II towing option and the correct engine (3.5 V-6).

You can only order the factory towing option on a Limited or an SEL. You can not get it on the Sport because of the limits placed by Ford on the 22 inch wheels. You also can not get 22 inch wheels and the tow package on a Lincoln MKX.

• Like 1

The Toqushift transmission is not on the Edge, I think it's for the Super Duty trucks only. The paragraph with Torqshift in the towing seems to be a general one, not specific to the Edge.

As for the tow button, I am not sure I am 100% accurate, but the 2011-2012 SE came with a button on the shifter for what Ford calls "Drive with Grade Assist", SEL & Limited have the SelectShift, a thumb switch with +/- on the shifter for manual control. 2013 SE then changed to Selectshift.

All 2.0 Ecoboost equipped Edges have the grade assist button (no selectshift), Sport models have Selectshift with paddles.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

Looking at the online owner's manual for the 2013 Edge (4th printing-page 252) it talks about the Tow/Haul feature and the Grade Assist to use while towing. I just checked all the settings in mine, and I don't find the Tow/Haul feature I thought it had. I do have the Sport mode for the transmission.

I did find the DTE calculation to use if in normal driving or if towing. I have never towed anything but got the tow package strictly for the extra cooling features for here in the Dallas area. My wife's Chevrolet Traverse which also had the factory towing package for the same reason did have a push button switch on the dash for Tow mode. It would adjust the transmission shift points, and would also change the turn signal courtesy blinks from 3 (non tow mode) to 6 (tow mode).

Having seen the DTE with Tow setting when I first got the Edge, I must have confused the two different vehicles now and thought the Edge also had a Tow/Haul function. Funny that the Edge owner's manual even mentions the Tow button, but even the manual must be generic in some forms.

• 7 months later...

I just got a CPO 2012 Edge SEL with 3.5L. The factory window sticker did not say tow package but it had a FOMOCO 3500# hitch and factory 4 pin connector on it. It looks like factory install from underneath but maybe it could have been added? It doesn't look like it was used at all.

My  Edge with Tow

IMG 0663

IMG 0664

Factory hitch and connector

Now I looked under the hood and big fuse box and found only the 60A relay with reference to the (2) 40A relays for TT.

My fan assy is pn# 9T43-8C607-AB

If i go to Rock auto they do show 2 different fans and 2 different radiators.

The Tow fan RF-259 Motorcraft rad has PN #9T4Z 8C607A
The Non tow fan RF 223 - has PN #7T4Z 8C607A

I have looked at the Fan assy it is the no tow style ( 2 fans and one connector)

I guess the easy solution is to add the Tow fan but I don't know if its plug and play and add the 40a relays

Edited by paradiddle1

Go to this site, click on "Vehicle" in the top left hand side of the page, and see what your vehicle was built with after you put in your VIN.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Or put your VIN number into this website and see if it pulls the original factory sticker with all of the standard and optional equipment your vehicle was built with.

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html

Go to this site, click on "Vehicle" in the top left hand side of the page, and see what your vehicle was built with after you put in your VIN.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Or put your VIN number into this website and see if it pulls the original factory sticker with all of the standard and optional equipment your vehicle was built with.

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html

ETIS does verify that is has "less towing" "less Sunroof" etc.

My question now is can the tow fan be plugged in and just put in the required relays ?

I'm pretty sure its plug and play

Edge fan plug

Diagram of connector
It does show different guage wire 8 ga for tow and 10ga for non tow

These are the fans

No Tow Fan

No Tow

Tow fans

Tow
Understand that the non tow fans are wired together and the tow fans have seperate harness from the controller
I think I will get the Tow fan assy and 40a relays to test - but I will investigate the wiring

Edited by paradiddle1
  • Like 1

Update - NOT plug and play - I got under the hood.

I have the 60a fuse of course in slot #39 the tow would have a 40a in slot #39 amd a 4oa in slot #40

Note that slot #40 has no lug so it is not wired in.

IMG 0669

IMG 0668

the Tow package would have both 40's and the larger 8 ga wire to the plug.

IMG 0666

same plug

IMG 0665

controller

Now I suppose its possible to change out the radiator for more capacity and also swap the fans for tow fans and keep the 60a but the risk is popping the fuse in extreme conditions. I have no idea if PCM is different.

Edited by paradiddle1
  • Like 1

I took my boat and trailer out for a test run on the highway - no modified cooling package. 90 deg outside temp. Runs just fine and the guage didn't budge. the tow package only adds more engine cooling as far as I can see.

Boat weight was 2200# plus trailer add 600# so I had 2800# estimated. best tow was using manual in 5th gear to have enough power. I was towing on flat florida highways. I will still add fan and radiator to improve but as-is - its not so bad.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Could it be that the radiator for the tow package model has the integrated transmission cooler and fittings and the one for the non-tow model does not or do they both have this?

Ford equipped the '95 Cobra R with a radiator from an automatic equipped Lincoln model, but the tranny cooler was used for the power steering. Apparently warming the P/S fluid more quickly and limiting the heat are both beneficial for road racing. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can add to this (14' Ltd 3.5, non-tow package) as when I added the UHaul hitch and wiring, they didn't ask or care about the limits. I towed a 6x12 covered loaded with furnishings and it probably was close to 3K (the 6x12 trailers are heavy empty). I just made sure to stay at 60 or less, gear down when climbing hills, kept a good distance from other cars and watched the temps closely.

Since you are in Fl, you don't have hills, but you do have heat. If you haven't already done so, flush your tranny fluid after a big tow (unless you are towing periodically, then just keep the fluid fairly new, at least annually). 

Several tranny fluid threads exist, you can pay a dealer (appx $250), or do it yourself via the drain plug (appx 3.5 qts in the pan so you'll need to do this at least 3x) or do what I did which was siphon out of the fill tube (same hassle, have to use a lot of Mercon LV as the old mixes with the new).

I haven't looked much but there are ways to disconnect the outlet line from the cooling portion of the radiator which you can use to pump the fluid out, see YT videos, MacT has info too.