Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

Hi!

I have a 2008 MKX and Ford stopped my car since March 9 . they made me the offer to buy a ford by giving me $ 2,500, but do any of you know if redeemed my MKX will be made at the exchange amount or value retail ?
because I went to my dealer and he told me about the exchange value versus canadian book and it offers me the lowest amount ...
he told me to sell it and make profit on it, it can not give me the retail price ... on the other hand , it is not safe enough to be on the road , it can not nor sell it. And if I expect it to be repaired, I have lost a lot of value and the offer of $ 2500 will be completed .

Is it that there are people who come here from Canada ? you all seem to come from the United states.

Just enjoy the rental then get your MKX repaired and if you deem then sell it at a far greater amount than Ford will ever offer.

Hi!

I have a 2008 MKX and Ford stopped my car since March 9 . they made me the offer to buy a ford by giving me $ 2,500, but do any of you know if redeemed my MKX will be made at the exchange amount or value retail ?
because I went to my dealer and he told me about the exchange value versus canadian book and it offers me the lowest amount ...
he told me to sell it and make profit on it, it can not give me the retail price ... on the other hand , it is not safe enough to be on the road , it can not nor sell it. And if I expect it to be repaired, I have lost a lot of value and the offer of $ 2500 will be completed .

Is it that there are people who come here from Canada ? you all seem to come from the United states.

• 3 weeks later...

I have shadowed this post for a bit now, as my wife and I are in the same boat - 2007 Ford Edge, 126,000 mi., at the dealership for 6 months now. Thank you all for the all of the information and shared experience (I had no idea of the insurance issue until I read it on this post.)

Had to share a "funny" story: Our original rental car was a Corolla, which my wife just laughed at, and told them to get real. They eventually gave us a Ford Escape which performed admirably until just last week when they replaced it with a Dodge Journey. The gentleman at the rental place advised us that he needed the car back because - you guessed it! - our particular model of Escape was subject to a recall.

The wife and I nearly wet our pants laughing when she called me with that news.

And to think that until this mess, that Edge had really made me a fan of Ford.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am new to the forum and have found all this information very helpful. I believe that I am in a bit of a different situation and was hoping someone else may have some experience with. I have a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and started smelling gas after filling up a few weeks ago. I have a 98 F150 with 235K miles that sits in the garage so I wrote the smell off to that. After the last fill up the odor was more intense and I realized it was coming from the Edge. I got under it and there was gas all around the front passenger side of the tank. After doing some research and finding this forum I learned about the recall so I was relieved until I realized that it was only issued on Edges that were registered in "Salt" states. I live in Oklahoma where we don't have a ton of snow but we usually get a few good ones a year and I have taken it to Kansas City in the snow a few times. I searched my VIN number and the recall did not come up so I called Ford this morning and they said that I need to take it to a dealership but would not commit to covering anything under the recall. I am going to take it to the dealership in the next couple days but it sure seems to me that if mine is having the same issue then Ford needs to cover it. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

You would think that they would cover all vehicles with the same type of tank, but to date they have not. Whatever you end up doing to have it replaced, save your receipts. There is a good chance they'll amend the recall in a few months when they get the replacement tanks. I think they're just trying to limit the number of claims right now.

• Like 1

I will save everything but from what I understand I can't have it replaced because there aren't any tanks available. It makes no sense that the same year of car, built in the same plant, isn't covered under the recall. If a tank on a car that is exposed to less corrosive material and garaged every night is rotting then the problem must be even worse than they are saying. I am Ford guy, almost to a fault, but between having to replace the AC in my 2011 Mustang that was 3 months out of warranty and now if I have to pay around $2k to replace a gas tank it will be very difficult for me to buy another one if they aren't willing to do the right thing.

I believe they're simply limiting the scope of the recall as much as possible now because they don't have the new parts available yet and they're taking a bath on rental car fees. So it makes sense from their standpoint (financially).

At this point it doesn't really matter since there aren't any replacement tanks available anyway. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

The best they could really do is buy back the vehicles immediately and offer a discount on a new one, which I think they've done to some extent. But some people aren't happy with that offer.

My Edge has been at Dealership since Feb 19, I called today and was going to have them give me an offer and was told that they were notified last Thursday that my new fuel tank was being shipped and they should have it by Wednesday. Just thought I would share that it looks like they do have some gas tanks and are starting to ship them out!

• Like 1

My Edge has been at Dealership since Feb 19, I called today and was going to have them give me an offer and was told that they were notified last Thursday that my new fuel tank was being shipped and they should have it by Wednesday. Just thought I would share that it looks like they do have some gas tanks and are starting to ship them out!

I got the same good news just a few mins ago. My edge has been at the dealership since march and last time i spoke with them they were saying it would not be in til the end of summer maybe Sept. Dont know what happened but im happy and sad. I have enjoyed driving the new f150 but i have missed my edge. I hope everyone will be getting the same good news in the weeks and months to come.

• Like 2

Well, I like Joey got some good news yesterday - dealer called and said Ford notified them my tank was on its way so I guess it is true that tanks are finally becoming available!! My car has been at the dealer since December 2014 so looking forward to finally getting it back! As soon as I find out what the replacement tank is (plastic/metal) I'll let you guys know..

• Like 2

Well, I like Joey got some good news yesterday - dealer called and said Ford notified them my tank was on its way so I guess it is true that tanks are finally becoming available!! My car has been at the dealer since December 2014 so looking forward to finally getting it back! As soon as I find out what the replacement tank is (plastic/metal) I'll let you guys know..

I received a metal tank so that's probably what everyone will be getting. Guy said the tank cost $2500

• Like 1