Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

Hi macbwt,

Just watched your video. My 07 tank looks really good. This was the first winter in Connecticut, the car has been in Arizona its whole life. I guess I'm lucky enough to not worry about it until they get the tanks ready. I would hope they go with plastic like my Jeep has. I think the problem is outside corrosion and not the alcohol in the fuel. otherwise the tanks would be rotting regardless of the location. I only have 91,000 miles on my Edge. I bet I could sell my tank and make some good bucks LOL.

Before the recall I was considering removing my tank and having it sprayed with some kind of undercoating to prevent the problems that I kept hearing about, now I guess I'll just wait.

Thanks for all of your videos, I love seeing what I'm in for in the future.

• Like 2

Thank you. The videos do add to the time to do the job, but folks need to not be scared to do the work to save some money. The LCA turned out to be a mama bear and by all descriptions a worse case with the exception of the front horizontal bolt breaking I do not think it could get much worse. That front bolt is so large that I could not imagine it breaking and it is not rusting for some reason.

Hi macbwt,

Just watched your video. My 07 tank looks really good. This was the first winter in Connecticut, the car has been in Arizona its whole life. I guess I'm lucky enough to not worry about it until they get the tanks ready. I would hope they go with plastic like my Jeep has. I think the problem is outside corrosion and not the alcohol in the fuel. otherwise the tanks would be rotting regardless of the location. I only have 91,000 miles on my Edge. I bet I could sell my tank and make some good bucks LOL.

Before the recall I was considering removing my tank and having it sprayed with some kind of undercoating to prevent the problems that I kept hearing about, now I guess I'll just wait.

Thanks for all of your videos, I love seeing what I'm in for in the future.

I took my edge in a couple days ago, it wasn't leaking but I could always smell gas when I was next to it so I didn't want too take any chances and called the dealer to make an appointment. I show up at the dealer and drop it off now mind you I had not read any of these post until now so I'm going off what the letter is saying that it will only take a couple hours so I call around 2 to see what's going on and that's when they break the news that they don't have the part and have no idea when they will get the part! I'm shocked I have only had this car for a month just took the paper tags off a week earlier! So they say we will give you a rental for the duration of the time they have it sitting around. I'm in total disbelief how could ford have no know when they will have a gas tank? They are talking anywhere from a month to 6 mos! I'm not too hurt they gave me a 2015 f150 but it's not my edge

Yeah, you are caught in this insanity, feel for ya! At least they gave you a decent sized rental, many people are stuck in sub or sub-sub compacts :( True, no substitute for the Edge. Will they at least put it under cover or something? Or will you have to go there weekly to wash & wax it?

I drove past the dealership and it looks like it's just siting out there. They will probably let it just sit there and collect dust :( I'm already missing it. Weather is gettin nice out so now is the time I would start working on getting it the way I like it. I had ordered a new pioneer radio for it now it's just sitting in the closet collecting dust as well

Have a 2009 edge with the same problem. Gas leaking all over my driveway. Quoted $2000 for tank plus 5 hours labour at $90/ hour. Says recall does not apply to 2009 yet so I am being asked to pay full retail and hope that I get reimbursed some time in the future.

Can you spell happy customer? This is my first Ford purchase and it may be my last depending on how I am treated over the next couple of weeks. This could become the Ford Edge Losers group real fast.

Hang on to the receipts this ride is not over. Expansion is in the air.......... Oh and how did they come up with a fuel tank for your 09? Last word is there are none available. Oh do not forget to make a complaint on Safecar.gov or something like that.

Have a 2009 edge with the same problem. Gas leaking all over my driveway. Quoted $2000 for tank plus 5 hours labour at $90/ hour. Says recall does not apply to 2009 yet so I am being asked to pay full retail and hope that I get reimbursed some time in the future.

Can you spell happy customer? This is my first Ford purchase and it may be my last depending on how I am treated over the next couple of weeks. This could become the Ford Edge Losers group real fast.

• Like 1

Got a call from the service manager today. He said that they still had no word on when they could order tanks. He also told me that Ford is offering 2,500 toward the purchase of another Ford if I was interested. I didnt ask for more details, because I just want my edge back, and I have gotten used to the SUV I got as a rental, he said the 2500 deal is available until July 6th

There is NO WAY I would have my car parked outside on a dealer lot waiting months for a fuel tank replacement IF I could install even a used one. Sure would be better than parking and walking away from my car and having left it out snow covered and basically forgotten about.

I know macbwt said he would never put a used one in, but would that change if it was his car having to be parked? Regardless, here is a link to what is described as a good tank in the Cleveland, Ohio area for $125.00. There are ways of testing it to be sure it is good including a visual check of the weak areas.

No connection to the seller, just hoping to help any fellow Edge owner from having to watch his car rot away sitting waiting for a tank.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4904368140.html

• Like 1

simply answered. No it would not. It is a car that is broken they provide me with a rental and I drive away. Wait for it to be repaired then go back and get it. quite frankly they would be doing me a favor if the tank leaked and gave me a rental. A rental would mean saving a lot of money on repairs, oil changes and consumable items like brakes and tires. Then also clocking miles on the vehicle and having it depreciate. Yep run clock out on the rental and save money. Plus installing another used tank most likely would result in Ford possibly not wanting to replace the replacement as it would not be the tank/Truck included in the recall. Just thinking ahead.

There is NO WAY I would have my car parked outside on a dealer lot waiting months for a fuel tank replacement IF I could install even a used one. Sure would be better than parking and walking away from my car and having left it out snow covered and basically forgotten about.

I know macbwt said he would never put a used one in, but would that change if it was his car having to be parked? Regardless, here is a link to what is described as a good tank in the Cleveland, Ohio area for $125.00. There are ways of testing it to be sure it is good including a visual check of the weak areas.

No connection to the seller, just hoping to help any fellow Edge owner from having to watch his car rot away sitting waiting for a tank.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4904368140.html

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Ultimately, each owner has to decide what is right for them. Having your fuel tank inspected at an independent, trusted shop seems like a wise course of action so you don't suffer the "impound" threat. Yes, it will cost you, but if you don't want to part with your Edge for the entire trimester, it's a small price to pay. Find out the cost of repairing the tank now, even if you don't need it. Document everything, labor/parts.

Be proactive.

• Like 1

My fuel tank was inspected last month and the dealer confirmed that it was rusty and advised that it should be replaced.

He was then informed by Ford that they would not authorize replacement as it was not actually leaking!

I contacted them and asked how they justify this idiotic response and to ask for confirmation.

Now saying that "Tanks are to be available later this year, a supplement will be published. At that time, the vehicle can be repaired.

They confirmed that as it was reported that the tank was not leaking at present, I can continue to use the vehicle until the part will be available to order. Or I guess the tank starts leaking...........

I guess I need to attach some no smoking signs on my vehicle!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah definitely the worst part about this whole thing is that you have to leave your edge at the lot to sit until the get a new tank. I felt so bad today cause I washed my rental and I never even got a chance to wash my edge before she had to be caged up. I'm starting to like the rental but I really want my edge back. I had so many plans for it and they are all on hold cause because I don't want to spend the money buying things for it when i have no idea when I'll be getting it back

• Like 2