Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

My Edge which has been in Finland for the past 3 years is booked into local dealer here for inspection today. I'm really hoping that the past 3 years away from the salt of Quebec have helped look after the fuel tank and nothing is needed. Really don't want to have to park it up for who knows how long.

Fingers crossed

I called the dealer, of course no fuel tank yet. I mentioned my snow/ice covered car sitting out in back lot. I was told I could come clean it off myself. and there is one other car out there that looks just like mine. I guess that was suppose to make me feel better. I then reminded them, there are at least 40 other cars sitting in your lot that have non snow/ice on them, My car just doesn't matter to them. Mastel Ford, in Olean, Ny

• 3 weeks later...

I called Ford, and response is consistent with what I am reading above. My Edge started leaking fuel, late November. The dealership has my vehicle since that time. They gave me a Fod Focus, but this is not cutting it. I have an Edge for a reason. To transport my family, groceries, hockey equipment, etc... I called Ford looking for an update, but the representative read off a script. Basically, they are working diligently on the issue and dealer will advise when parts are available. I told them that my vehicle is depreciating on the lot for over a year (because ETA i hear is Sept-Jan). No answer for that. I told them that my vehicle is rusting-out in their lot through a harsh winter. No answer for that. I told them that I am paying for insurance, but I can't use my vehicle. I want to be compensated. They said no and that I should review with my insurance company. I told them that I want a vehicle that is in same class as Edge. I don't want a Focus. They said dealership just has to provide you with a rental. So basically.....nothing from Ford, except for a documented case number.

Time to hit Twitter, Media, etc... I have never heard of something like this.

• Like 1

I do believe the dealerships are going to end up costing Ford a lot in legal claims before this is all finished up. Taking the car and replacing it with a ford focus/small kia or hyundia will only get people upset and feel abused and poorly treated which ends up with class actions. Ford needs to regain control of their dealers or a rough road is sure to be in the future.

Akirby, vague reference to law that I think you may be referring to as far as control. My reference is far more broad. As always Ford and other large companies willl be the one to bear the brunt of attacks based on how the dealers handle the situations. You know that. The legal systems aims for the deep pockets and collects the collateral damage as they go.

How do you propose that Ford does that when it's against the law?

Akirby, vague reference to law that I think you may be referring to as far as control. My reference is far more broad. As always Ford and other large companies willl be the one to bear the brunt of attacks based on how the dealers handle the situations. You know that. The legal systems aims for the deep pockets and collects the collateral damage as they go.

I'm talking about state automotive franchise laws. They prohibit a mfr from dictating how dealers operate their business. If a dealer has bad customer service there is very little Ford can do about it legally. Dealers are independent businesses.

I called Ford, and response is consistent with what I am reading above. My Edge started leaking fuel, late November. The dealership has my vehicle since that time. They gave me a Fod Focus, but this is not cutting it. I have an Edge for a reason. To transport my family, groceries, hockey equipment, etc... I called Ford looking for an update, but the representative read off a script. Basically, they are working diligently on the issue and dealer will advise when parts are available. I told them that my vehicle is depreciating on the lot for over a year (because ETA i hear is Sept-Jan). No answer for that. I told them that my vehicle is rusting-out in their lot through a harsh winter. No answer for that. I told them that I am paying for insurance, but I can't use my vehicle. I want to be compensated. They said no and that I should review with my insurance company. I told them that I want a vehicle that is in same class as Edge. I don't want a Focus. They said dealership just has to provide you with a rental. So basically.....nothing from Ford, except for a documented case number.

Time to hit Twitter, Media, etc... I have never heard of something like this.

Hi sheldoncap,

I want to look into this further. Do you have a case number from when you spoke with a rep over the phone? If not, please send me your VIN via PM, and I'll check this out.

Meagan

• Like 1

To cut a very long story a little shorter, I purchased a 2008 Edge new in Quebec and in 2011, I moved to Finland and brought the Edge with me. I noticed the recall notice on this forum in January and contacted Ford USA. They informed me that my car was affected and that I should contact Ford Finland to have the recall action.

First Ford Finland told me my car was not affected and I had no worries but after I asked for written confirmation to this and in the event of something related to the fuel tank causing injury, they turned around and told me to take it to my local dealer for inspection.

The inspection showed that the tank was rusting but not leaking at this time. They informed me that they would request to order and replace the fuel tank from Ford Finland and also ask if I could continue to use the vehicle or be put in a hire car at no cost to me.

One week later the dealer contacted me to inform me that Ford Finland are refusing to change the tank as "its not leaking at present". That's like saying you have your brake system that could be faulty but as it stops OK at the moment, we wont do anything.

I contacted Ford Finland and asked them to explain their idiotic response and that if I did not get an answer within the week, I would contact Customer care center in USA.

One week went and just before contacting USA, i asked once again for an answer from Ford Finland. Now, they responded straight away and replied that they had contacted Ford USA to ask what to do.

That was 7 days ago and now response????

In the customer service perspective I feel that if Ford would at least provide and occasional update as to status on this fuel tank issue people would tend to feel a sense of progress towards the ultimate repair and correction of the problem with the leaking fuel tank. I deal with customers/clients and the worse thing you can do is do absolutely nothing and provide no type of communication or feed back on an issue. Ford Service does a great job in follow-up in contacting you and listening with some action to back it up. Ford Service please pass this on to the upper folks as for most of us this is a simple question that unanswered causes most of us to feel nothing is being done by ford to correct the fuel tank leak problem.

• Like 1

Sometimes they do provide info to the dealers who don't pass it on. Just like the dealers who have order info but say they don't.

Not sure that's the case here, though. This type of extended repair interval with loaner cars is terrible. I know they have a good reason but they should offer to buy it back at full value and offer a discount on a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

i have lincoln mkx with leaking tank. My vehicle was purchased in western ny and was there from 2007 thru 2013. I relocated to northern california. My vehicle is sitting outside at the dealership. The dealerships in this area have no other vehicles involved in the recall. It is going on 8 wks and no one has a clue when the tank will be available. All I keep hearing is we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Lincoln customer svc supervisor also had absolutely no details for production schedule and same repetitive..I'm sorry. I have rental but not comparative vehicle. The lack of use of my mkx impacts both my business and personal use that the vehicle was purchased for.

I have been unable to find any forum/blogs under lincoln mkx. Very hard to believe no one is not happy with the situation.

Feeling lucky my Edge spent the first two years of it's life in Texas. I do check it regularly though as it is rusty. If it did start rusting. I would say now lets get a vehicle that I can fit a all this stuff I have in this edge into and back it up to it to see if it fits. I carry of all things a projector screen, tool and equipment along with many safety demonstration devices then three containers of files etc. back seat is full and the back completely full.