Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

Hello just wondering if anyone is having this issue on the 2010 models. I'm not included in the recall and my tank is also leaking. The dealer says the cost could be 2000$ plus. I'm currently in a loaner car because gas fumes filled my garage and the interior of the car. No one seems to know when the tank will come in. This is very frustrating I have two small children and my double stroller and car seats don't fit well in this loaner.q Plus that's a lot of money to put out!!! I'm wondering if they ever switched the type of tank involved in the recall or maybe I'm the beginning of the next wave of recalls....no one at the dealership or customer service can answer this!

Not sure but I would be willing to bet the tank on the 2010 is most likely the same. So investigation may need to be done and the Canadian Traffic safety organization would be where I would start with a complaint. The more complaints receive the more oil ford will have to apply.

• Like 2

My synopsis on the fuel tank leaks. Since 2000 the advent and almost mandatory use of Gasahol has been increasingly inserted into our fuel systems. The fuel systems had to be reworked and engineered to handle gasahol. Known fact: Alcohol is a highly corrosive chemical. NoteL this is why you do not see pipelines for Alcohol due to the lines would be leaking like a sieve. Corrosive meaning it eats metal of all flavors some faster than others. It also eats rubber and other plastics. Metal reacts by rusting. Check the massive rework gas stations have had to to to combat the rusting of their underground tanks and well over 500,000 tanks are leaking in the United States. The weak link is the connection and evap lines in the Ford Edge the alcohol can work on these connections and rust them out causing the tank to leak. Other manufacturers have the same issue but I believe ford chose to 1) used cheaper metal 2) process of fabrication has issues 3) insufficient protective coatings. Ford and the other manufacturers KNOW alcohol does this to metal and I bet ford rolled the dice and said lets see what happens. Question is why doesn't my 1995 vehicle leak? Thicker metal (better material) Good questions to ask. One thing I try to do is purchase regular (non alcohol) fuels, plus my mileage is better) Maybe using non alcohol fuel will buy time.

• Like 1

Quite possible. I think it is more because of the salt/dirt trapped in the snow belt states, which further means that the tanks need to be of better material/have better coatings, as stated. Not dissimilar from problems seen on other Ford vehicles:

Doesn't mean this is exclusively a Ford problem, but at least the spotlight is on them.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

It's probably a combination of ethanol and salt and some inferior materials.

Based on the recall I think Ford changed the tank in 2009 so they don't believe those would be affected, otherwise they should have covered all of the them up through the 2010s at least. That assumption may not have been correct. The other less likely possibility is your 2010 had a 2007-2008 tank installed at some point as you stated.

If you end up doing any repairs on your own on any model year save the receipts in case it gets covered later you can get reimbursed.

• Like 2

I have an 2008 AWD Limited that I purchased not too long ago. I started noticing a fuel odor two weeks ago coming from near the truck (most strongly on the passenger side) as you would approach it after it had been parked. I took it to the dealership yesterday and two hours later they tell me that it is the issue related to the recall, that it will be repaired free of charge, and that Ford will not allow me to drive the vehicle because it is a safety/liability issue.

They got me into a rental car that same day. I told them I needed a similar sized vehicle and they accommodated me (2015 Dodge Journey). The guy at the dealership told me to get comfortable in that rental because it is going to be a long time before I see my car again. Previously in this forum someone mentioned the tanks not being ready until Oct 2015-January 2016 for the AWD models. I cannot believe that I am going to have a rental car for that long.

And also, has anybody else figured out what to do about insurance? My Edge policy will extend coverage for 30 days. After that I need to figure something out, and the 17 dollar a day coverage through Enterprise is way out of my budget since we are talking about months here.

Also, I am planning on moving out of state over the summer. Do you think I can get Ford to send me my car, or am I going to have to fly back here to get it?

This whole situation is a bit insane.

Edited by Cooper Tysen

Talk to the insurance company. Since you're not driving your Edge you can theoretically drop that insurance since anything that happens to it now is the dealership's responsibility. Then you can get a rider or policy just to cover the rental. I say theoretically because I've never tried to do it nor do I know if insurance companies will do it. But it seems logical.

And just for the record - I agree it's ridiculous.

I'm preparing for the worst here, and assuming the quoted October date is correct that will put me at 8 months in a rental at nearly $8,000 dollars of expense to Ford. It would be far cheaper for them to trade me for an '09/-'10 model with similar features and they can sell the 2008 when it is fixed.

• Like 1

Talk to the insurance company. Since you're not driving your Edge you can theoretically drop that insurance since anything that happens to it now is the dealership's responsibility. Then you can get a rider or policy just to cover the rental. I say theoretically because I've never tried to do it nor do I know if insurance companies will do it. But it seems logical.

I agree with the advice, but I still have a loan on the Edge, so even if it is just sitting, the leinholder requires coverage. I could just go ahead and pay it off (might take a month or two). But I am not sure if I'm comfortable depleting my savings for a car that is going to be living at the dealership for a year (the interest rate on it is really low so I just was planning to make the payments before all this started).

I did a little reading online, and I found one article that mentioned a rider that is attached to your homeowners or rental policy that can offer long-term rental coverage (odd?). I will post more once I talk to Geico & Enterprise (I have 30 days of carry over coverage)

Edited by Cooper Tysen

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469469/RCMN-14V682-9070.pdf

That is a link to the 21 page package Ford has sent its dealers regarding the issue.

A few key things from it to help those effected.

"Q9. Do you have an estimate of when the replacement fuel tanks will be available?
A. Ford expects replacement fuel tanks for vehicles that have a fuel tank leak to be available in
the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2015. Ford will publish a supplement with parts ordering information
and updated service procedures to replace fuel tanks in all affected vehicles by the 3
rd quarter
of 2015."
"Ford Motor Company will provide reimbursement for rental vehicle costs of up to $55 per day,
which includes tax and damage waiver. Prior approval is also required for special rental needs
and costs above $55 per day from the Special Service Support Center (1-800-325-5621)"
$55 a day gets you a decent car, for me they let me use the dealer rate and I got a 2015 Dodge Journey 3-row SUV for $30/day.
  • Like 2

This makes absoulutely no business sense.

Which is why I keep telling you there is a technical issue that's preventing them from getting the replacement tanks sooner. They're either waiting on a new design or waiting for the supplier to ramp up to produce enough of them. There is no way they would do it this way if they had another choice.

• Like 2

ford is paying my rental and insurance, I threw a fit!! when they weren't going to help me out past my 45 days of my insurance covering substitute car. I guess it doesn't cover liability, so I have to contact my insurance company, see if they can do something for that. meanwhile my edge still sits at the dealer with 2 ft of snow covering it, NO tank yet,!

Akirby,

You have now installed images in my head of ford making a dozen versions of the fuel tanks with different metals/coating and processes, spraying them with saltwater, rocks, mud etc and heating and cooling them with high and low humidity while some guy kicks and pounds on them with various things from rocks to bottles and then they tie them to a rope and submerge them in the ocean for a month. Bring it up then drag it down the street on the road by an rope and start the testing all over again. Just my imagination at work.

Which is why I keep telling you there is a technical issue that's preventing them from getting the replacement tanks sooner. They're either waiting on a new design or waiting for the supplier to ramp up to produce enough of them. There is no way they would do it this way if they had another choice.

Edited by macbwt

ford is paying my rental and insurance, I threw a fit!! when they weren't going to help me out past my 45 days of my insurance covering substitute car. I guess it doesn't cover liability, so I have to contact my insurance company, see if they can do something for that. meanwhile my edge still sits at the dealer with 2 ft of snow covering it, NO tank yet,!

How did you get them to pay for it? Did you go through Enterprise, the Dealer, or did you call Ford corporate? My rental just started so I have some time, but I am not going to pay extra insurance for the rest of the year.

Since I work for an insurance company I have put this question directly to my co worker and will also see what the actual coverages are with the carriers such as Traveler, Nationwide, Allied etc. I might be able to provide some clarity on this. If you work through gieco good luck.

• Like 1

That may not be too far from the truth........

although I suspect it has more to do with getting the supplier ramped up to supply that many replacement tanks while continuing to supply the new ones. If the supplier made 6,000 replacement tanks per week it would take them at least 8 months to make 200,000 units - while they continue to make all of the new ones.

Huge logistical issue.

Edited by akirby

post-7628-0-58080700-1422693354_thumb.jpg

I own a 2008 Edge Limited AWD since new and I don't have a leak at present (I think) but found out yesterday, that my car is included in the safety recall but my issue is made more difficult by the fact that I moved the vehicle from Canada to Finland in 2011.

I contacted the customer relationship center in the US yesterday and they confirmed that my car is included and they told me to contact the local center here to arrange an inspection at my local dealer. Especially as local dealer tends to create more problems than they fix.

I'm really hoping that the past 3 years in Finland, where we have 6 months of winter BUT NO SALT! have been kind on my fuel tank.

Everything is far more expensive here and cheapest city car hire is about $70 per day

Ford Edge is not sold in Europe and getting parts will be more difficult.

Had contact with Ford Finland yesterday and eventhough I gave them a copy of the email from Ford USA, which said that my car was effected, Ford Finland informed me that there was no recalls for my car.

Not sure they know what they are talking about.

Decided to take a look myself and yes! there is rust

Edited by frozennuts