Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

Crickets.

I'm going on my 3rd month of my 2008 Edge sitting at the dealer! They are saying possibly 6 months apparently there is no fix yet? Fortunately my rental is a 2015 Fird Explorer through Enterprise. But regardless I want MY vehicle back!
Anyone else get any word?

• Like 1

I have a 2008 Ford Edge SEL AWD. Brought it in December 23, 2014 to have it inspected expecting them to say yes or no that my vehicle was affected, let me take it home and order parts. When I finally called dealer later that day to see when I could pick it up, they said I would not be allowed to take my vehicle as it was affected by the recall and a hazard to drive. I didn't get a rental car until 2 days later and only after being pushy and it was a crappy beat-up older Ford car... I was stuck in that for 2 months and living in an area hit hard by snow and going into a car with old worn out tires was a hazard in itself to drive after being use to my Edge and having great snow-tires on my car which I did NOT get to use this winter... and the dealer insisted they had nothing else available and nothing comparable to my car in their rental fleet. When I called Ford for help they stated they could not help get me anything better and what the dealer provided was what I get... So, after 2 months of telling me that my tank should be available the following month and my husband and I complaining enough about the loaner, we finally got into a similar vehicle (minus the trailer hitch mine had that I used quite often and have been suffering without...). After about 2.5 months the dealer finally admitted that a fix would not be available until September or October (now that I see October-January for AWD in this forum I'm getting even more disgusted because rep confirmed last week it was still September/October). Anyways, they had mentioned a possible temporary fix so I said I wanted it done so I could have my car back. They then retracted and stated there was not a temp fix available for my car and I was stuck in the loaner. They also told me the reason for the delay is the original tank was welded together with a non-corrosive-resistant weld which has led to all this trouble and they are in the process of desigining/manufacturing a new tank. I understand it takes some time for design/manufacturing but a year+ is absolutely insane especially when they've known about the issue for some time now!! Ford is paying my dealer $50 per day for my rental (approx. $6,000 so far) - in talking to the Ford rep last week, she stated that there are "notes" that state Ford is looking into buyouts for people in long-term loaners like myself - I love my Ford Edge and honestly was going to buy a newer one from them when this one reached the end of its life but I'm really questioning buying a Ford again!! I see some people are being offered $2,500 off a new vehicle- really?? How is that a great deal?! You take that and you don't get the other Ford incentives they offer on whatever you are buying. They had offered me X-plan before and I looked into that and it cost more than what it would be with the regular incentives that EVERYBODY is offered!!? I planned on keeping my Edge until it died... I already see in the end that I'm going to be losing money on this deal... vehicles depreciate daily and I will be without mine for 10+ months!! Oh and I also went on autotrader this past weekend and could only find 1 2007 Ford Edge availalbe for sale "any distance" from my location and no 2008's.... kinda odd I thought.. There is more to this story than Ford is letting out and they've done really good keeping this recall out of the news!

My car is at a dealership over an hour away (closest dealer to me) and when I brought it there it was covered in salt. I called Ford telling them this and that it needed to be washed so it didn't rust out they just said, "oh I wasn't aware of that" and then blew me off. I FINALLY got Ford/dealer to let me trailer my car back to a body-shop to have some repair done to an area that was starting to rust but found more areas starting to go/paint peeling since its been sitting there for 4 months covered in salt, my brakes that were new are shot from sitting in their gravel lot all winter on the highway, the whole body was covered in orange "road dust" so at least it finally got washed so even more doesn't start to rust on it. But the fact of the matter is so much more is going to start to go wrong with these cars from them sitting so long. It's absolutely ridiculous and Ford isn't going to cover that.. You explain this to the regional manager and all they can say is "I understand"... Really? Are you in the same situation as me right now and therefore understand the frustration and nightmare I'm going thru?

Last time we called Ford (last week) my Regional Managers boss basically told us there is nothing they can do for us... so basically we've been talking to a mediator who has no pull and claims they have nobody we can talk to that has any pull-so who knows . Says recall department is the only department with any say and they won't talk to you unless you are a dealer and has to be proven with a dealer number etc.. So nobody can help and I'm not allowed to drive my care that I make a payment on and pay full coverage insurance on plus I'm not looking at getting coverage to protect me on the loaner. Dealer originally told me my insurance would cover the long-term loaner and being so frustrated with the whole thing I didn't look into it until this week. My insurance only covers a 30-day loaner (I've been in for 4 months - so therefore not covered/protected?!)

Ford get your act together and take care of your customers!!!! My husband's family have always been loyal Ford customers and I came from a "Chevy" family - if something Good doesn't come out of this, I think I'll be going back to Chevy and my husband is feeling like its time for a change as well...

Anyone else see those commercials for Ford on tv all the time lately saying Ford customers are the most loyal and always come back, blah, blah, blah? Everytime those commercials come on I get so aggravated!! It's like, ya, Ford is sure working on trying to lose customers with this whole ordeal!! :|

Sorry to see you in this boat with a lot of other folks, I got lucky and count my blessings! It would have been better to get an exception from the govt, produce the original design, maybe add a coating to it to make it more resistant to corrosion, and get the vehicles back on the road. It's not like they ruptured when brand new or something. Maybe even let the customers take the vehicle home, tankless and sealed off the fuel componentry if they wanted to keep them. I just wish they were afforded better protection at the dealership.

As far as insurance, I am sure they will cover the rental for the duration of the recall. Just have to talk to them, and let them talk to Ford. Maybe they can get you a better rental vehicle too!

Ford get your act together and take care of your customers!!!! My husband's family have always been loyal Ford customers and I came from a "Chevy" family - if something Good doesn't come out of this, I think I'll be going back to Chevy and my husband is feeling like its time for a change as well...

Chevy is NOT any better. My son has a 2007 Cobalt that was in the shop for the ignition recall for 6 months. No offer of a buyout or anything else. The dealer he purchased it from wouldn't even give him a rental and told him to drive it until the parts were in. Now remember that this is for an issue that KILLED people. Went to another dealer and they got him a rental. His was a big GM SUV so he was stuck with the much higher gas costs for the 6 months.

They also have a recall on their gas tanks for this car. But they somehow managed to keep it limited to specific states (claiming it is weather related). Funny, other people have had to replace their tanks for the same reason and they don't live in those states.

I believe the $2500 is in addition to rebates and whatever deal you can make on your own. That makes it at least $1000 below A plan and that is a great deal if you want a new vehicle.

Ford really is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. All they can do is provide a free loaner, offer to buy it back for FMV and offer a discount on a new vehicle, and they've done all 3. Not sure what else you could reasonably expect in such a situation.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

If Ford would offer me fair market value for my vehicle PLUS the $2,500 in additional rebates, maybe it would be worth it, but they are not offering that. They are offering $2,500 on top of whatever the dealer my vehicle is sitting at will give me for trade-in which is about HALF of fair market value! So... NOT a good deal! They need to make me a beter offer because I want my OWN vehicle back! I hate having the loaner, it is not a vehicle I would EVER buy or want to own so its not enjoyable to drive, doesn't have the hitch my vehicle has so half the things i would normally be doing, I can NOT do!~! UGH

Well, talked to Ford again Friday. Found out they are offering a buyout for Edge owners in long-term rentals but wouldn't tell me the requirements of it other than the fact that I did not qualify because my vehicle had too many miles... mind you I have 129k on my rig!?!!

So instead of offering me a buyout, if they have my car at a minimum thru next October and continue to pay my dealer $50 a day for a loaner vehicle, they'll have paid at a minimum $15,000 for me to be in a loaner car?! And if what people are saying is right about it being October 2015-January 2016 for the AWD Edge's, they'll pay above and beyond that?!! Are they insane? They could've bought my car out for that rather than sitting on it, paying for my loaner, paying to fix my car (parts and labor)... What are they thinking?!! Sounds pretty insane to me!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow up. I guess I am SOL on my Orange Crush for mileage.

Well, talked to Ford again Friday. Found out they are offering a buyout for Edge owners in long-term rentals but wouldn't tell me the requirements of it other than the fact that I did not qualify because my vehicle had too many miles... mind you I have 129k on my rig!?!!

So instead of offering me a buyout, if they have my car at a minimum thru next October and continue to pay my dealer $50 a day for a loaner vehicle, they'll have paid at a minimum $15,000 for me to be in a loaner car?! And if what people are saying is right about it being October 2015-January 2016 for the AWD Edge's, they'll pay above and beyond that?!! Are they insane? They could've bought my car out for that rather than sitting on it, paying for my loaner, paying to fix my car (parts and labor)... What are they thinking?!! Sounds pretty insane to me!!

Sorry to read everyone's problems with your gas tanks. My 2011 Mustang has a plastic gas tank. I checked our 2014 Edge, it also has a plastic gas tank. I wonder if the hold up from Ford is, the replacements are going to be made out of plastic? I really don't see Ford replacing metal tanks with metal ones. Just a thought i had :)

I also have a 2007 Edge with the tank issue. My husband is a mechanic and has been contacting the parts department at our local Ford dealer since the letters came out and they've pretty much told him there is NO ETA on the new tanks. Now, we just put four brand new tires on the vehicle so while it's sitting at our local dealer for months not moving, those tires are getting flat spots and will be junk by the time we get it back. Is Ford willing to replace the tires as well? Not to mention the other components affected by the vehicle being parked for months and not driven - brakes, belts, hoses, oil etc. Are they willing to be on the hook for that?? if not, they get your FN act together and get us some tanks, or commission more than one company to manufacture the replacements! Don't issue a recall to this extent without an actual plan for repair, or issue more frequent updates to vehicle owners so they don't feel so ignored. S*it happens, parts break, metal rusts..we know this happens but please don't send me a letter telling me it's being recalled only to be told "Hey we'll give you a rental with limited insurance coverage so now you're on the hook for your car payment, the Edge's insurance and then insurance on the rental" Great way to treat loyal customers!

This won't alleviate your frustration/concerns, but as akirby and others have pointed out multiple times, keep all your receipts/documentation together, and when the time finally comes to get your Edge back and look it over, file for reimbursement/damages. May need a lawyer to get you through the process, so start looking for one now as well.

Hey oldsgirl - I've also been concerned about everything that is going to go wrong with our vehicles sitting at the dealers.. I already had a mechanic friend of mine go take a look at my car sitting in their gravel lot that had new brakes and rotors approx. 3 months before I brought them in and he said they are shot... So when I was talked to FORD about this, they said its the dealers issue not theirs... you talk to the dealer, you get the same answer.

As far as insurance goes, I have been going round and round with the dealer on this. They were going to provide me coverage but then stated they'd only cover physical damage not liability, so if I got in an accident and killed somebody, I'm SOL. So they couldn't help me and Ford couldn't help me, I'm now paying the vehicle payment on my car, full coverage insurance on my car sitting there and full coverage insurance on the loaner... so not only is my car racking up expenses in parts that'll need to be replaced and deteriorating in value, but I'm also paying additional expenses for their car that I would not normally have to incur if they were not holding my car hostage! My husband has been a loyal Ford customer for life and loves the vehicles but has said he will NEVER buy another Ford since they can't take care of their customers. I've heard a lot of good stories come out of Toyota standing behind their customers and making things right and covering things even when they weren't truly obligated and there weren't any recalls... I think I could learn to love a new 4Runner.

By the way if you call Ford, all you are talking to, the Regional Representatives, are just mediators! One admitted that to us the other week that they really can't do anything... they are just trying to feed you lines to suffice you but won't let you talk to anyone that will actually take action! You talk to Ford, they say you need to talk to their dealer... you talk to your dealer, they say you need to talk to Ford. I'm so effin sick of the run-around and unfortunately I'm only 4+ months into this headache/nightmare!!!

If anyone ever gets any POSITIVE feedback from Ford on their Edge/issues, let me know!

If your insurance company will not cover the long term rental you need to look for another insurance company the does not end with CO

There is no reason your Edge liability insurance wouldn't cover your rental car. Did you ask your insurance company?

• Like 1

I brought my 2008 edge to the dealer for this recall back in November. it is still there, I called today and was told it would be "some months" before it is ready. I had put new winter tires on it 5 days before I brought it there, it has been sitting on 3 flat tires for the past five months. I also went to the dealership to check up on it a month or so ago and found my edge completely buried in snow....it stayed that way until it melted. So I decided to talk to the service manager about the snow (which did cause rust bubbles around the door handles) and about my brakes which now look like they spent time in the ocean. He advised me to call customer relations...what a joke they are, apparently I am "on my own". I figure it is a good thing I have plently of pictures and documentation for my lawyer because if something don't happen soon that's where I am headed. I hope everyone has better luck than I have had.

• 2 weeks later...

I called the dealer about 2 weeks ago to see if there was any time of change or if they had any info about what's going on with my edge, lady calls back says that we are in the same place as we were last month. I cant believe Ford is just letting customer vehicles sit and not do anything. I mean come on its not like these are 2015 cars and the supply might be low. These are 7-8 year old suvs. You mean to tell me not one gas tank has been made in all that time or that there is no other gas tank that will fit this particular car? I'm very disappointed in Ford right now. I guess I can say that they are taking care of me as far as putting me in this nice 2015 F150 but, if I wanted this type of truck I would have bought one from the start. Does anyone else have any news about their edge?

From an inside source........a tidbit of information ........the dealers are being reimbursed 15 % by Ford if the dealers buy the ill stricken Ford Edges from the owners who elect to take the buy back deal. The source also says the gas tanks will be available in the fall....and mentioned Sept or Oct 2015........the buy back for my 2007 Edge with 225,000 km was estimated at 3500. .....

The source mentioned the dealers are in a position to negotiate additional repair costs to our rotting parked Edges in their lots to make them roadworthy again.....whatevever that means!

The source said drive the free car and enjoy the ride while you have it!

Oh well......another day!

So I would be offered zero and the dealer would get 15 percent of that? Was not sure about your Kilometers so I translated my Miles to kilometers and came up with this 453.835km

From an inside source........a tidbit of information ........the dealers are being reimbursed 15 % by Ford if the dealers buy the ill stricken Ford Edges from the owners who elect to take the buy back deal. The source also says the gas tanks will be available in the fall....and mentioned Sept or Oct 2015........the buy back for my 2007 Edge with 225,000 km was estimated at 3500. .....

The source mentioned the dealers are in a position to negotiate additional repair costs to our rotting parked Edges in their lots to make them roadworthy again.....whatevever that means!

The source said drive the free car and enjoy the ride while you have it!

Oh well......another day!

Edited by macbwt