Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

I don't know the manufacturer. I would be suprised if any other Ford uses it. The way it is configured to fit the space by the transaxle seems like it is for that application only. Just my opinion from looking at it.

The service manager at my dealership says its in the fusion, focus, flex edge and Taurus x

The service manager at my dealership says its in the fusion, focus, flex edge and Taurus x

Which brings up the next question.

Are they having the same failure rate as the edge?

Don't laugh I've been around a few engineers :wacko: :doh: that can't see the haystack for all the needles.

Could be as simple as the Edge is a little heaver/lighter than the others = different angle on the offending shaft.

Someone mentioned earlier that the exhaust is VERY close to this seal.

ab

Don't laugh I've been around a few engineers :wacko: :doh: that can't see the haystack for all the needles.

Could be as simple as the Edge is a little heaver/lighter than the others = different angle on the offending shaft.

ab

my dealer says say, in fact they had a flex on the lift with the same problem. In total they have had about 6 different cars come in with this problem

So... Are you saying it works or not working with the new ptu. I thought you said you were getting a buy back from your dealer? How is that working from what I hear that is extreamly hard to pull off. The dealers don't want a used car back. I have called more then 6 dealerships and they all saying that there is not an updated PTU unit, even if they do the dealership would need Ford to approve. I went back thru the posts and did not see a part # for a PTU unit. Did you have the seal and shaft done before, this seems to have fixed our issue. However it's only been 2 weeks and about 800miles.

I've had the seal and shaft replaced and still have the smell. Fixed for the 3rd time november 2008. Smell back in January. Should be going to dealer again sometime this week. I will not take it in until they can get a loaner car for me. Last part I had was 7251D.

I've had the seal and shaft replaced and still have the smell. Fixed for the 3rd time november 2008. Smell back in January. Should be going to dealer again sometime this week. I will not take it in until they can get a loaner car for me. Last part I had was 7251D.

Please post as what they say. I had the pto seal done and shaft and we are going on 3 weeks 1k mi and no loeaks or smell. Make sure they are have there senior service rep doing the work.

What did they say?
Not feeling good at all as the service mgr. really has no answer for me on what to do next. I don't want another seal kit again nor does he. They actually put all the other Edge's that were coming in for the same repair on hold. The service Mgr. is awaiting a call from a engineer that supposedly has knowledge of the failures :hysterical: and may shed some insight on it. Hmmmmm...

I'm packing my bags as I type for a 3 night Snowmobile trip up in NH. This will keep my mind off of my Edge while I'm riding my intoxicating sled :rockon:

Gervais Ford will call me Monday eve, I'll post back then. as far as the car it only seems to smell after a 20+ mile ride or if the outside temps are warmer. Lately short trips----very cold outside. Doug

Edited by galaxieman

I hope you have better luck with the field service engineer. We have been waiting for days and still have not had one show up. Ford refuses to talk about anything until the engineer looks at it. The service people at the dealership openly admit they are out of fixes for it. I am sure the engineer will want to throw some part at it. If they admit they cannot repair it the door opens for all the others.

I hope you have better luck with the field service engineer. We have been waiting for days and still have not had one show up. Ford refuses to talk about anything until the engineer looks at it. The service people at the dealership openly admit they are out of fixes for it. I am sure the engineer will want to throw some part at it. If they admit they cannot repair it the door opens for all the others.

I smell a class action suite coming for the stinkin PTU Problem with the Ford Edge.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

I went in last week for my 5th PTU leak...

This time around, they installed the latest design of the PTU (8T4Z-7251-A) at the same

time they replaced the Right Hand side Drive Shaft (7T4Z-3A329-BD)..

Ok, this this my 4th PTU, 3rd Drive Shaft...Had one seal replaced last year - lasted 11 months.

So, the verdict is...

It's LEAKING AGAIN !!!! The "new" PTU only lasted less than one(1) week before it started to LEAK.

I contacted the Service Manager and he could NOT believe this...I am going in on Monday to speak with him and have this thing resolved ONCE and FOR ALL!!

Either give me my $$ back or we are going to CAMVAP (http://www.camvap.ca/)

For those of you interested in what a LEAKY PTU looks like, check out these images:

post-1294-1234036709_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1234036725_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1234036740_thumb.jpg

I am meeting with the Ford dealership where I purchased my Edge at noon today. I am on my fourth fix. Last time my car just started smoking and I pulled into the nearest dealer. He won't even take my car again. Said the problem belongs to the dealer who sold me the car. Nice attitude!! Will keep you posted.

Quick update...

I meet with the Service Manager yesterday...They wanted to look at the car once more to determine the severity of the leak.

sure enough, it's leaking. So, what next?

- They had just received a handfull of NEW seals

- The PTU's are in backorder (he assumed FORD wants to try the Seals (hence the availibility) since it is less expensive before replacing any PTU

which would require approval from FORD.

He asked me if I wanted a NEW seal. I answered "to what avail"...I will no longer be a "guinea pig" for FORD. If FORD wants to evaluate the root

cause of the failure of my vehicle, they can take it back. Replace it with a NEW one.

I requested that he speaks with someone at FORD who has authority to make these type of decisions - replace my vehicle. Now, we do not

know if the 2009 vehicles also have this problem...so, a gamble here...If I get the vehicle replaced...

The Service Manager will get back to me later this week once he has an answer. The alternative, we go to mediation where I am certain

I will win (he also agrees with me, since he will also be requested to attend this mediation), hence FORD will need to take the vehicle back.

The drawback with this mediation, I will loss some $$ and they won't pay for any mods/add on's that were done to the vehicle.

I would rather loose now some $$ than put up with this in the long run. What is going to happen if the problem is NOT resolved and your

warranty is expired. Can you imagine the cost of replacing seals/PTU's out of your own poccket?

I had the fourth PTU seal - shaft replaced yesterday. It is the newest part number 8T4Z 7275A. This dealer seemed to be honest with me. He said that no one has come back yet with this part not working but I think someone on this forum did have a leak again after this part was put in. My concern is that they installed a shield which may stop the smell but not the leak. I may never know if it is leaking. Ford said I could bring it back anytime for them to check it (which I will) but it is getting out of hand.

Service manager did tell me though that the work and the part done yesterday is guaranteed for one year regardless if the warranty runs out on the car and seemingly I have a longer warranty on the engine than the 30,000 miles. All of you may want to check in to your warranties and at least contact Ford and try to get an extended warranty on the PTU seal.

I will speak to Ford Customer Service later today. I have filed a case with the Better Business Bureau but this seal would have to leak before 36,000 miles ( I am at 26,000) in order to have a case with them. They give the dealer 4 times to fix problem. I have heard that the buy back deals are not all that good but I will be inquiring about that as well.

Will keep you posted.

Just went back to my paperwork and I take everything back. The part that was installed yesterday (7275A) is the exact same part number that was installed in October and leaked 5 days later!!!! What does Ford think they are doing - just throwing in these parts that we know do not work. I contacted customer service and will let you know what happens.

Mine is still at the dealer. They can't seem to get the field service rep to appear. I am supposed to hear from Ford service today but I will be surprised if I do since no progress has been made. All of these have 5 year/60000 mile warranty on the powertrain so they have to deal with it a lot longer than normal. If you had any visions of driving it any longer than that it could get expensive.

If you are trying to replace the vehicle a front wheel drive does not have a PTU and might last better.

Mine is still at the dealer. They can't seem to get the field service rep to appear. I am supposed to hear from Ford service today but I will be surprised if I do since no progress has been made. All of these have 5 year/60000 mile warranty on the powertrain so they have to deal with it a lot longer than normal. If you had any visions of driving it any longer than that it could get expensive.

If you are trying to replace the vehicle a front wheel drive does not have a PTU and might last better.

Interesting back on 01/20 we got our done for the 3rd time. But my seal # is 7275B kit and we also got a 7T4z-3a329*bd shaft. I am very concerned as well. We had called Ford back on the 3rd time , Ford told me they can ONLY document the issue but because my local Ford deal fixed the issue the is NO issue. I did ask for an extra warranty and he did not say anything. So basically the next time it breaks I need to call them first before my dealer. Also we are still getting some type of smell when the heat is on. to me it smalls like gear fluid. However, I know the PTU is not leaking because I check it every other day by going underneath the car. Does anyone else have this smell when you come to stop? I also know I have no residual oil from the previous leaks. I am at a loss with the smell.

This may not be at all relevant but a story to tell anyway. I had a problem with my Sable a few years ago that was clearly covered under the warranty. The dealer said it was not according to the "book". I called Ford Customer care and they also said it was not covered. I then called the Dearborn headquarters and asked to be connected to Bill Ford. Of course they would not but did connect me to a person who had the whole thing straightened out within an hour. I was reimbursed for the $700+ I spent on the repair and the service writer asked me how I got that done since he had never seen anything like it before.

Perhaps Alan Mullaly should be getting a few calls?

Update of the day...

Received several calls from the Service Manager today..

Call #1 - He spoke with FORD Tech Support. They want to send another PTU (new redesign unit) overnight + new drive shaft!! Hmm...yesterday, the story was that the PTU's were in backorder...Go figure.

He also advice me that there is no Guarantee that the problem will be fixed. Apparently, FORD wants to take a look at my defective PTU and figure out why it failed. Meanwhile, I can "try" the replacement unit and "see what happens"...

My response: I am not a "guinea pig" for FORD. If FORD wants to find out what is wrong with their PTU's, then they (FORD) can take the vehicle back from me, experiment all they want until their hearts content, ship it to Japan or where ever they want where it can be "disected"...

I explained to him, either give me new vehicle (exchange my Edge) or we go to Arbitration. I also explained to him that I am willing to loose the $5K that my vehicle has depresiated - according to the arbitration website. If FORD wants to offer me a deal, then let's hear it. However, it better NOT be more than $5K.

Service Manager to call back FORD and see what kind of "deal" can be done

N.B. Just to tell you how "Customer" oriented FORD is trying to be. They authorized the dealer to install (if I wished) a Remote Starter for all of my troubles!! COME ON!!!!

Call #2 - Service Manager spoke with his contact at FORD. Explained my positioned and their response was not negative, but far from accepting my request. He said he will work on them...

My response: I asked him if FORD was aware that I will be going to Arbitration. He said yes. I asked him if FORD knew that I have one HELL of a good case which I will undoubtely win and force FORD to take the vehicle back.

His response was that they are well aware....

Call #3 - Service Manager called me with the dealer's Sales Manager. They obviously want to keep me as a happy customer. Sales Manager asked me some questions about what I want in a 2009 model. Basically, I told him the same options as my 2007 model.

Sales Manager to look at different scenarios...will call me back later...

Call #4 - Sales Manager has some different options for me. Would like to meet me tomorrow to discuss these options and what can be done.

I will be visiting him tomorrow afternoon...Let's see what happens.

N.B.#2 I warned the Sales Manager that I was not willing to pay more than what Arbitration would cost me....

The SAGA continues...