Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

My Edge is in for it's second PTU seal replacement, it's been at the dealer for 12 days and when I just called they told me that they didn't have the part yet! We must have some other recourse besides all this waiting and then having to go back and have it done repeatedly. I'm in Pennsylvania and my Edge has just over 12K miles so I don't know if I will still be able to qualify for Lemon Law.

2008 Ford Edge Limited owner here. Well you can add me to the list. I live five minutes from work and at the light by my house I started smelling that infamous burning smell. I pulled into my driveway, got out of the car and sure enough, it was smoking. I called ford today and they couldn't get me in until next Monday but they were aware of the problem. I will let everyone know how things go.

Edited by Gonecruzan

I lodged a complaint to Ford Canada on Sunday and got a reply today. They did what I thought they would do - they pushed it back down to the dealer to address. I expressed my disappointment with Ford that at 4,000km I have such a problem, but they never acknowledged that they have a problem with Edge. However, they set up an appointment for me next week with the dealer and told me to expect to leave it there for 2-3 days. Seems like they took my word for it that it was the PTO seal.

Ā 

We'll see if they can fix it?

Ā 

Smokin Edge

The engineer looked at mine. It is getting a new PTU. It supposedly was just released the past few days. It is redesigned specifically for the leak problem. It is a new part number but I have not got it back yet to know what the number is.

Ā 

This would be the 3rd time I've had my 2007 AWD/SEL in since we bought it in September 2007.

Ā 

This time around I caught it soon enough and its minor leak. They have had my car for 7 days and counting... citing national backorder, "Its backorder, ya know?" They did the seal kit (part number 8T4Z7275A) from another dealer in town and I could hyave my vehicle back as early as tomorrow. It wasn't long after they replaced the seal last time that it was in to have the entire PTU replaced.

Ā 

At least I have a loaner, which was made to sound like it was not common place to have service provide loaner cars with their in-house rental department when they did it the previous times. They issued me a Fusion which is front wheel and with all the snow here in MN the past week proved to be the worst car in the snow.

Ā 

A redesigned PTU would be wonderful, if it worked. If you could provide the part number that would be awesome as it seems I am doing the research for the parts department for this dealer.

Ā 

Do all dealer service departments have access to the same TSBs? I know they do, but do they actually look them up per vehicle? Its weird.

We got 2007 awd with only 7200 miles, going to pick it up tomorrow from the dealer. They replaced the seal. The service dept said they have not dealt with this problem much and it did not happen again on the cars that did. I just find it unsettling that this happens after it snows and is only noticed when the heat is on. So there may be people who driving without this fluid. Does anyone know how long the car can be driven before damage is made and what kind of damage will it cause? Anyway I'll be going upstate to ski next weak, will post again when back. ---- Thanx from Queens NY-------

We got 2007 awd with only 7200 miles, going to pick it up tomorrow from the dealer. They replaced the seal. The service dept said they have not dealt with this problem much and it did not happen again on the cars that did. I just find it unsettling that this happens after it snows and is only noticed when the heat is on. So there may be people who driving without this fluid. Does anyone know how long the car can be driven before damage is made and what kind of damage will it cause? Anyway I'll be going upstate to ski next weak, will post again when back. ---- Thanx from Queens NY-------

Ā 

This is what I am experiencing:

Ā 

In addition to the burning smell, I feels like the transmission or transfer case is causing things to slow down between 50 and 30 mph. There is a loud muffled sound that coming from the vehicle at this speed. It concerns the hell out of me since even if they change the seals what damage has been done? I am starting to lose sleep over it now!

I am supposed to get mine back today. If I can get the part number for the new design I will post it here. As far as how far one can go before it causes damage would depend on things like, how big the leak is, was it full of fluid when you left or had it already leaked half of it out before you left. There are a lot of variables that would make that a hard question to answer. The damage that it causes is bearings being ran without oil. Once the bearings reach a point of wear they cause gears to get out of alignment and when that happens it will break the teeth off the gears and the vehicle doesn't move anymore. If it is ran low for too long and then fixed the gears and bearings in the ptu may whine and increase in frequency with the speed of the vehicle.

I am supposed to get mine back today. If I can get the part number for the new design I will post it here. As far as how far one can go before it causes damage would depend on things like, how big the leak is, was it full of fluid when you left or had it already leaked half of it out before you left. There are a lot of variables that would make that a hard question to answer. The damage that it causes is bearings being ran without oil. Once the bearings reach a point of wear they cause gears to get out of alignment and when that happens it will break the teeth off the gears and the vehicle doesn't move anymore. If it is ran low for too long and then fixed the gears and bearings in the ptu may whine and increase in frequency with the speed of the vehicle.

Ā 

Ā 

I

My wife drives a leased 08 MKX that had the leaking PTU after only 1500 miles. The PTU seals were replaced and the problem showed up again after a few thousand miles. Seals replaced again and the PTU lost almost all of its fluid that night in my garage. The PTU assembly was replaced and now with 9000 miles on the vehicle it has begun leaking again.

Ā 

State law in my state say that any defect that appears in 12,000 miles or 12 months and cannot be repaired in 3 tries warrants a replacement vehicle. There are other qualifications that I believe the PTU being inoperable addresses and tomorrow the dealer will get a visit from me with a request to replace the vehicle.

Ā 

Anyone who has this problem can probably expect it to keep reoccuring and my advice is to approach Ford about replacements. This is one great car except for this problem. I am not an SUV fan and have not particularly liked the four vehicles my wife has leased up to now. I would consider driving this one on a regular basis and would consider buying this one when the lease is up. Actually the new one Ford gives us not this unit.

Dang near 30 Turns on mine by now, just started to think I was smelling something the other evening but it is/was -20 and my lease is up in 45 days, truth be told, I don't have the energy to chase this one down anymore. Shame too, I love the vehicle, best I've ever owned. With a buyout of a whopping 25k and this recurring PTU issue, decision to turn it in is made for me.

Ā 

Sux too, I will likely end up in a Fusion or a Focus..

I have an 08 AWD LImimited w/ 13k. Had the bad smell and smoke coming from under car last weekend after returning home from a short trip. Puddle of dark red fluid underneath the next morning, no warning lights came on. Had it towed to local delaer, it has been there for over a week with what they descbe as a failed axle seal. Nobody can tell me when a part will be available. I have a stripped down Focus as a loaner. Not quite a comparable car. I then called Ford Customer Care, and they have checked back with me to let me know they are researching this, and I should expect a call on Tuesday. It seems weird that nobody can provide a timeframe for a part. Until now, I have been fairly pleased with the car, but not looking forward to the future problems given these posts.

Ā 

In my state after 15 days out of service I can go the lemon law route. I have one year left on my lease. Anyone have any updates on part availability, etc? Thanks for any info.

I have an 08 AWD LImimited w/ 13k. Had the bad smell and smoke coming from under car last weekend after returning home from a short trip. Puddle of dark red fluid underneath the next morning, no warning lights came on. Had it towed to local delaer, it has been there for over a week with what they descbe as a failed axle seal. Nobody can tell me when a part will be available. I have a stripped down Focus as a loaner. Not quite a comparable car. I then called Ford Customer Care, and they have checked back with me to let me know they are researching this, and I should expect a call on Tuesday. It seems weird that nobody can provide a timeframe for a part. Until now, I have been fairly pleased with the car, but not looking forward to the future problems given these posts.

Ā 

In my state after 15 days out of service I can go the lemon law route. I have one year left on my lease. Anyone have any updates on part availability, etc? Thanks for any info.

Ā 

Good luck with it. My dealer stocks the seals and the PTU units due to the problems they are having. I am awaiting a call from customer care whom I just called yesterady. They claim a return call within 2 business days.

Ā 

My service rep always gets me another MKX to drive while mine's in the shop. They are trying very hard to satisfy me but we will have to wait and see what Ford does.

Well WTF!!!! Add me finally to the ever growing list. If you check back a few pages I reported no smell or smoke. Guess what, it just happenend to our 08 AWD! I stopped and parked at the take out Chinese food place 5 miles from home and just as I pulled in to park I started to smell burning tranny fluid. Sure enough I crouched down to smell into the grill and it got stronger and I could see a little smoke. Now it has been sub-zero temps for the past three days and this is the first time I have driven the car in two weeks. My wife who primarily drives it hasn't noticed anything?

The dealer will be getting a call Monday AM. I'll give him the part# for the updated PTU, hope this will register with him. just turned 16,000 miles. Not happy in Ma.

I'm yet another new victim of the dreaded PTU problem. I first had problems with 2200 miles on it. Hoping it was still a new car smell i waited untill my first oil change to bring up the problem. The dealer said everything looked fine and it was more than likely "packing oil" that was still working its way off of the engine components. I found that hard to beleive so i searched the problem on the website and found this! Thank goodness. I brought it back in, told them what to look at and got the replacemement seals put on (Kit# 8T4Z*7275*B), two days later I was was leaking even worst than before! Went back in and they said that it was "left over fluid from the replacement, as there is a place that fluid can collect that is hard to clean out." I again felt this was incorrect but i took their word for it. Two more days later and i was still finding fluid in the snow after short trips so i went in again and insisted the problem wasnt solved. This time they replaced the entire PTU with what they said was a completely redesigned part (Kit# 8T4Z*7275*A). I also noticed that this kit includes a shield that goes up and around the exhaust. I dont know if thats to keep heat of the PTU or keep the fluid off of the exhaust untill they can find a better fix! Its been 4 days and no problems yet, but i'm skeptical. Has anyone else received this replacement PTU? any luck with it if you have?

I'm yet another new victim of the dreaded PTU problem. I first had problems with 2200 miles on it. Hoping it was still a new car smell i waited untill my first oil change to bring up the problem. The dealer said everything looked fine and it was more than likely "packing oil" that was still working its way off of the engine components. I found that hard to beleive so i searched the problem on the website and found this! Thank goodness. I brought it back in, told them what to look at and got the replacemement seals put on (Kit# 8T4Z*7275*B), two days later I was was leaking even worst than before! Went back in and they said that it was "left over fluid from the replacement, as there is a place that fluid can collect that is hard to clean out." I again felt this was incorrect but i took their word for it. Two more days later and i was still finding fluid in the snow after short trips so i went in again and insisted the problem wasnt solved. This time they replaced the entire PTU with what they said was a completely redesigned part (Kit# 8T4Z*7275*A). I also noticed that this kit includes a shield that goes up and around the exhaust. I dont know if thats to keep heat of the PTU or keep the fluid off of the exhaust untill they can find a better fix! Its been 4 days and no problems yet, but i'm skeptical. Has anyone else received this replacement PTU? any luck with it if you have?

Ā 

Ā 

The growing FORD EDGE PU (pee-yew) PTU Problem.

Ā 

I am not confident that they have a long term fix.

Ā 

3 months after purchasing I am already making plans to dump after warranty is up.

Ā 

Smokin Edge

www.smokinedge.com

Ā 

ps - Check out my new blog Smokin Edge to track how things turn out for me on this problem - Coming Soon!

Edited by garyedwardsmith

Wife has an 08 Limited AWD, 5/08 build date. Had burning smell and ended up with a PTU seal replaced at 10k oil change. At 12k now and took it back this morning for continued burning smell, even through the heater you smell it. Leaking again. I am now waiting for a 'new designed' seal that is apparently on back order. :censored:

Well, I spoke too soon. My PTU is leaking again...This is the 4th time it has happenned.

Ā 

Needless to say, I AM FED UP!!! Ford needs to take responsibility for this DESIGN FAULT.

Ā 

These are the steps that I am currently taking - applies to Canadian Users

Ā 

1) Contacted FORD Canada to start a File on my issue. Ford rep is to investigate this today

and report back to me by the end of the day.

Ā 

Interesting enough, the Ford rep has "never" heard of this issue on the Edge. Hmmm...

Reported to him that my current Ford dealership has replaced numerous PTU's on both Edge and MKX

vehicles. I also mentioned this website and the numerous vehicles that have this problem...

Ā 

Most importantly, I mentioned that the leak over the exhaust system is a potential FIRE HAZARD (smoke out of the vehicle)

and the exhaust fumes are a health hazard specially when there are children involved...

Ā 

2) Contacted CAMVAP http://www.camvap.ca/eng/camvap_for_me.htm

so I can start a "legal" process to address the current issue.

Ā 

Let see what happens...Will keep you all posted.

Ā 

For those in the Montreal Area, if you wish to contact me, please PM me. If we all get together

instead of individually addressing this issue, it will carry a lot more weight, and Ford will have no

choice but to address this problem.

The new design seal doesn't hold. Good luck with that.

Ā 

Ā 

Does everyone else find it utterly unbelievable that Ford cannot come up with a design for a seal that will not fail? I am involved in an industry that relies on seals that do not fail and we seem to be very successful. With all the economic muscle and engineering expertise not to mention that of their suppliers I would think this would be relatively easy to correct.

Ā 

I heard from Ford customer care today as their initial contact after my report of the problem. They committed to a response in 2 working days and honored that but only to tell me they would report to the proper people in engineering and get back to me by Wednesday.

Ā 

Meanwhile my MKX sits on the dealers lot or in the shop and the rental MKX they gave me is being used by my wife and not being rented to paying customers. A great deal of money is being spent and much customer satisfaction and loyalty is being lost due to this situation. All they have to do in my case, and I suspect in most cases, is find the solution and get it fixed and the customers would be content.