Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Please, I encourage anyone in Canada to call Transport Canada about this issue. THEY did research and didn't come up with anyone else having PTU issues like ours. Was I the first to call ?? Must be ! This is probably the only way that a recall will happen. TC said that they were going to be taking this issue to Ford, but I cannot see a recall happening unless more people get on board.

What, exactly, do you think a recall will do? Ford is already addressing the issue and trying to fix it. They're not refusing to repair anything. It's taking longer than it should, but I don't understand how reporting it will change anything.

Ā 

And I still don't think it's a safety issue, so a recall is not likely.

What, exactly, do you think a recall will do? Ford is already addressing the issue and trying to fix it. They're not refusing to repair anything. It's taking longer than it should, but I don't understand how reporting it will change anything.

Ā 

I must say I disagree. If oil is dripping on the exhaust, then there is a "chance" of a fire. This being a safety issue. I also believe there should be a recall, I have been to my dealer 3 time for a car that is 6 mths old and we all apid good money for. There should be no leak and no concern of safty.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You know the old saying about "the squeaking wheel getting the grease"? I think that applies here. Ford is trying to do the right thing but a little extra prompting will not hurt. Approaching them with reasoned and calm responses and arguments will not hurt and should move them into more action faster. They do not want this to hit the general media and the poor publicity that would garner. Recalls are public and I am sure they want to avoid one.

The fact that they are incurring repeated warranty repairs is all the encouragement they need. They've already changed the PTU design (new part number) so they're obviously TRYING to fix the problem. If they were ignoring it or not trying to fix it then I could understand. I'm sure Ford is just as frustrated at not being able to solve it as the owners are. If it makes you feel better to complain then be my guest, but it won't get the problem fixed any faster. And I haven't heard of any fires - that's a bit of a stretch.

Overall, my personal opinion and I am sure many of you share the same, is that FORD is doing a very poor job in addressing this on-going issue.

Ā 

I can understand that a new model as the EDGE was in 2007, that you would have "teething" problems, however, the PTU issue has also affected the 2008 model. What about the 2009?

Maybe is too early to tell.

Ā 

How many folks out there are NOT aware that the burning smell that is being going on for a couple of weeks is coming from their vehicle. I suspect a good number of drivers of the EDGE and MKX are female - which we all know that the majority of them do not understand the "complexity" of the vehicle besides the "Gas needle"...I do not mean to offend any ladies that are part of this Forum who are knowledgeble of vehicles...just stating the facts..

Ā 

The fact is that FORD is willing to resolve this issue by replacing the PTU or Seals. However, this is not THE solution. It does not take anyone with an IQ of 180 to realize that there is a major defect on the design of the PTU/Seals. I believe that after almost 2 years that the car has been in the market, that it is suficient time for FORD to come up with a solution.

Ā 

The question is...Is it worth it to them? Engineering time, testing, and retrofits? This is high $$, specially now that the economy and the company are doing bad.

Ā 

I agree that this is not doing FORD any good in terms of loyalty and repeat buyers, however, we all shelled out several thousand $$ to purchase a vehicle that is supposed to operate properly, not one that needs to be in the shop everytime you go for an oil change to have the PTU seals replaced.

Ā 

At the end of the day, we can only help ourselves by making the necessary "noise" so they (FORD) can hear us, otherwise, it will continue business as usual...

Weasel,

Ā 

For those of us in Canada, can you post a link or Tel number to the Department within Transport Canada that you contacted on this issue...

Ā 

I don't expect the car to catch on fire, however, oil dripping on a HOT exhaust system is potentially a Fire Hazard. Does anyone want to be liable for this?

Ā 

Furthermore, as I mentioned in my previous post, the smell of burning fumes inside the cabin is certainly not healthy, specially if there are children in the vehicle. This is certainly a Health Hazard.

The new design seal doesn't hold. Good luck with that.

Ā 

More info, found I had the 'new' seal done at 10k, since the replacement PTU's were also leaking. Now Ford apparently has a kit, that I believe includes PTU, PTU gasket, and a reflector shield ( at least there will be no more burning smell or fire hazard if it leaks again ). Saw the TSB with a few part numbers. Will post back when I get more information, ( and exact part numbers ) hopefully it does contain this 'redesigned' PTU, or maybe I don't get this until the 3rd attempt like you guys are saying and it is just more seals and a reflector.. Dealer will call tomorrow with an ETA on when they can get the kit.

Edited by kdd01

I just received what the dealers said is the newly designed PTU with exhaust shield. Part# 8T4Z*7275*A kit. It was a back-ordered part but my dealer found one and asked a "favor" to get it shipped asap. It hasnt been long enough to tell if it really works, but i will keep updating this forum with info as i go. If anyone can find the TSB for this i'd like to see what it says.

Weasel,

Ā 

For those of us in Canada, can you post a link or Tel number to the Department within Transport Canada that you contacted on this issue...

Ā 

I don't expect the car to catch on fire, however, oil dripping on a HOT exhaust system is potentially a Fire Hazard. Does anyone want to be liable for this?

Ā 

Furthermore, as I mentioned in my previous post, the smell of burning fumes inside the cabin is certainly not healthy, specially if there are children in the vehicle. This is certainly a Health Hazard.

Ā 

Agreed! And I am from Montreal too... let me know how you would like to proceed... I am with Ford Fortier in Anjou. And the issue is very well known... keep me posted about your activities.

Overall, my personal opinion and I am sure many of you share the same, is that FORD is doing a very poor job in addressing this on-going issue.

Ā 

I can understand that a new model as the EDGE was in 2007, that you would have "teething" problems, however, the PTU issue has also affected the 2008 model. What about the 2009?

Maybe is too early to tell.

Ā 

How many folks out there are NOT aware that the burning smell that is being going on for a couple of weeks is coming from their vehicle. I suspect a good number of drivers of the EDGE and MKX are female - which we all know that the majority of them do not understand the "complexity" of the vehicle besides the "Gas needle"...I do not mean to offend any ladies that are part of this Forum who are knowledgeble of vehicles...just stating the facts..

Ā 

The fact is that FORD is willing to resolve this issue by replacing the PTU or Seals. However, this is not THE solution. It does not take anyone with an IQ of 180 to realize that there is a major defect on the design of the PTU/Seals. I believe that after almost 2 years that the car has been in the market, that it is suficient time for FORD to come up with a solution.

Ā 

The question is...Is it worth it to them? Engineering time, testing, and retrofits? This is high $$, specially now that the economy and the company are doing bad.

Ā 

I agree that this is not doing FORD any good in terms of loyalty and repeat buyers, however, we all shelled out several thousand $$ to purchase a vehicle that is supposed to operate properly, not one that needs to be in the shop everytime you go for an oil change to have the PTU seals replaced.

Ā 

At the end of the day, we can only help ourselves by making the necessary "noise" so they (FORD) can hear us, otherwise, it will continue business as usual...

Agree, do you know if there is a limitation for mileage for the lemon law? Also, I have read hundreds of posts about this issue, I am amazed that no one has mention a class action lawsuit.

Freeflyer, Weasel,

Ā 

Please feel free to PM me directly. Anyone else from the Montreal Area, please do so..

Ā 

Ā 

Smamtn,

Ā 

There is no Lemon Law in Canada. The ONLY protection in the Automotive industry that we have

is a Mediation Service that is operated by CAMVAP.

Ā 

The "rule of thumb" for CAMVAP is that the vehicle MUST have less than 60 000 Km or be less

than 36 months in order for a "buy back" from the manufacturer in the event that the arbitrator

rules in your favor. For "older" vehicles or those with more than 60K, then a "buy back" is not

an option, but they can force the Manudfacturer to fix the problem...The Arbitrators decision is

FINAL.

Ā 

If you are a Canadian, this service is available Nation wide and it is free of charge.

Just got back from the dealer as they wanted to inspect my Edge so they knew what to order. I waited for the inspection for 1/2 hour, and since the parts are on national backorder I'm on a "waiting" list with two other Edge owners. No time frame on when they'll be here.

Ā 

Should I drive the car and just keep checking and adding tranny fluid? The dealer did top off the fluid but when I got home I checked the level and it was still down to Min.

Ā 

I'm wondering about asking for a loaner, but it could be weeks and do they really want to tie up a free loaner when they could be gaining rental income?

Ā 

My Edge just turned 16,100 miles. Lease is up in two years, better start looking.

The leak is from the PTU in these cases. Checking the trans fluid doesn't help, they are 2 separate cases. To check the ptu the vehicle has to be up in the air and a plug removed to check it.The ptu is supposed to be "filled for life" according to Ford thus no easy way for the consumer to check it.

Just got back from the dealer as they wanted to inspect my Edge so they knew what to order. I waited for the inspection for 1/2 hour, and since the parts are on national backorder I'm on a "waiting" list with two other Edge owners. No time frame on when they'll be here.

Ā 

Should I drive the car and just keep checking and adding tranny fluid? The dealer did top off the fluid but when I got home I checked the level and it was still down to Min.

Ā 

I'm wondering about asking for a loaner, but it could be weeks and do they really want to tie up a free loaner when they could be gaining rental income?

Ā 

My Edge just turned 16,100 miles. Lease is up in two years, better start looking.

Ā 

Ā 

You have an issue that could result in a major failure to the vehicle. It is under warranty and the dealer should provide you with a loaner. My dealer does that automatically as soon as I bring the MKX in. I would go on record and ask for a loaner since you are concerned the leaking fluid could result in a major failure. It never hurts to cover all the bases.

Then you might need a pint of trans. fluid. Like I said, the ptu is different from the trans.Did they top off the ptu or the trans? If it is the ptu leaking, that is probably the one they topped off.
I did finally get to speak to the Service MGR, he is personally talking to the Tech that inspected my Edge this AM. That is among the many questions he will be relaying back to me. From what I gather, the service adv. that was present this AM told me they topped off the trans fluid. I'll come back on when i get all the info. I'm second on their list of six now who are waiting for the seals :banghead:

I guess I am a little slow since I just realized how many pages are in this forum. I have looked through most of the posts on the 12 pages and have a conclusion; no matter what anyone says about Ford trying to fix the problem and being responsible there is no excuse for a malfunction of this magnitude to go on for over two years. Ford is dragging their heels for a reason only they can fathom.

Ā 

Any actions we can take to get them moving is worth the effort. My leased MKX is in for this for the fourth or fifth time and the next time I will be going through the arbitration process outlined in the owners manual. Next will be a lawyer and the lemon law action. I am a little sour right now with product quality as I have had some issues with products, service and craftsmanship over the past two years.

Ā 

I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!