Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

I have had the seals replaced.....the first and only repair done @ 12,000 miles. I have over 15,000 miles now and no smell. I also checked the PTU seal area, and all is dry. It really has to do with how the seal is installed. There' s a heat process that must be followed in order for the seal to seat properly. I know ford has a huge problem here, but if it was a design flaw, all '07, '08 and '09's will leak. It took 12,000 miles for mine to leak, which leads me to believe it is not a design flaw, rather the material they use for the seals and how they are installed. I for one would not put up with this problem and I haven't. I honestly believe through extensive research and mechanical work, there is no design flaw, rather how the seals are installed and the material of the seals. I am just waiting for it to leak again, but rest assured, ford wants to repair this problem and they 're working on it. Some resolutions come easy and some do not. Just be patient, and this must be dealt with on a case to case basis and not based on what problems others are having. I believe this is a safety issue and must be corrected and I feel all your pain. This is a new model car and my pops always told me, never buy the first or second year of a "new" model. I couldn't resist, I love this car, it is awesome in every way. I will always buy domestic and never foreign. Please do not let this problem ruin your view of american cars. They are at par or above their foreign counterparts in quality, and remember this is one problem that is being dealt with and will be resolved.......The Edge is the most comfortable and quiet car I have ever owned and it is leaps and bounds above my parents Lexus RX 330. Sorry for the rant, I have been drinking and although I pride myself on having no gramattical errors, there may be some in this post......hey , it's Friday ! Good luck to all and I hope all of your issues are resolved. :tequila:

Sorry I beg to differ. I don't believe Ford has made any progress on this problem and don't feel that they are doing anything.

Some owners have had PTU seals changed 6 times. This is unacceptable.

Can't Ford do some competitive analysis and strip down a competitors product and learn how it is done right!

I guess Ford just hires the dumbest engineers?

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Sorry I beg to differ. I don't believe Ford has made any progress on this problem and don't feel that they are doing anything.

Some owners have had PTU seals changed 6 times. This is unacceptable.

Can't Ford do some competitive analysis and strip down a competitors product and learn how it is done right!

I guess Ford just hires the dumbest engineers?

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

New PTU, new seals, multiple repair attempts. You're right, they're not doing anything.

You have every right to be upset and frustrated. You can blame Ford for not being able to fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time but you can't say they're not trying.

I've seen these types of problems before - the fix works in the lab but not in the field. It usually is due to improper installation but not always. I'm sure they are also having to work with an outside supplier. It's still their responsibility and their problem - just trying to put some perspective on why it's taking so long.

New PTU, new seals, multiple repair attempts. You're right, they're not doing anything.

You have every right to be upset and frustrated. You can blame Ford for not being able to fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time but you can't say they're not trying.

I've seen these types of problems before - the fix works in the lab but not in the field. It usually is due to improper installation but not always. I'm sure they are also having to work with an outside supplier. It's still their responsibility and their problem - just trying to put some perspective on why it's taking so long.

I hope you are right and they come through for everyone at some point in the future. I like most people don't have the time and energy to wait this out well Ford gets their shit together. I would rather spend my energy elsewhere in my life.

Gary

Enough of this. Mine was leaking shortly after purchase, I mentioned at first oil change but only after joining this forum was able to narrow down the issue. Mine always had a coolant smell in the hot weather, ( and dealership couldn't find out why last summer ) and now the heat sucks this burning PTU fluid stink into the car in the cold weather. So much for the new car smell experience here. I only had the seals done, never a full PTU replacement but understand it is just the same PTU with this updated seal. All work done by the same master tech each time who when I talked to said these were good cars except for all the leaking PTU's and he has done many seal replacements since 07. I believe this is a Ford issue and not a tech installation issue and have no faith in Ford since this is now an issue going on 3 years. But they do not ALL leak so what's the deal here ?? And each time it is repaired, all the spilled fluid has to burn off the exhaust again. Really hate that smell...

Anyway, after the cam phaser and drive train issues with my F150's and now this stinking smelling PTU issue, I am tired of this complete and total waste of time. So I took my losses and just dumped the Edge last weekend and purchased an 09 Dodge Ram. We have had a Grand Caravan since new, now with 150k+ miles with NO service issues. Hope to have better luck with this than by last 4 Ford purchases. Buddy has an 04 Ram and tows his boat with it. No issues either. Only I hope Dodge is still around in a few years !

Good bye Ford.

And thanks guys, I figured out the issue due to your posts here. Good luck and all the best with this one.

Kevin

Enough of this. Mine was leaking shortly after purchase, I mentioned at first oil change but only after joining this forum was able to narrow down the issue. Mine always had a coolant smell in the hot weather, ( and dealership couldn't find out why last summer ) and now the heat sucks this burning PTU fluid stink into the car in the cold weather. So much for the new car smell experience here. I only had the seals done, never a full PTU replacement but understand it is just the same PTU with this updated seal. All work done by the same master tech each time who when I talked to said these were good cars except for all the leaking PTU's and he has done many seal replacements since 07. I believe this is a Ford issue and not a tech installation issue and have no faith in Ford since this is now an issue going on 3 years. But they do not ALL leak so what's the deal here ?? And each time it is repaired, all the spilled fluid has to burn off the exhaust again. Really hate that smell...

Anyway, after the cam phaser and drive train issues with my F150's and now this stinking smelling PTU issue, I am tired of this complete and total waste of time. So I took my losses and just dumped the Edge last weekend and purchased an 09 Dodge Ram. We have had a Grand Caravan since new, now with 150k+ miles with NO service issues. Hope to have better luck with this than by last 4 Ford purchases. Buddy has an 04 Ram and tows his boat with it. No issues either. Only I hope Dodge is still around in a few years !

Good bye Ford.

And thanks guys, I figured out the issue due to your posts here. Good luck and all the best with this one.

Kevin

Good luck with the Dodge. I have been driving Fords almost exclusively since 1959 and have had just one serious issue, head gasket and warped head on an 88 Taurus, until now. Besides the MKX with PTU issue I am driving an 03 Sable with 180,000 miles and not much to report other than normal service. If Ford reacts well I will get into another MKX because of what a terrific car it is. If not someone else will probably get the business from an old "Ford man". By the way I still have a 1966 Galaxie that I purchased new. :yup:

Talked with Ford and the BBB today. Explained to them I was not in the frame of mind to work on it further. 24-48 hours I will have Ford's official position and know if they are going to repurchase or if we are going to have a hearing.

Good luck! I will be anxious to see what they say. I am waiting for Ford to offer some sort of settlement other than working on the car again or I will be at arbitration as well.

Here is the latest to my drama, I get a call from the dealership they want me to bring the car in next wed for a field engineer to come out and do the repairs. THEY NEVER CALLED ME TO FIND OUT WHEN IS A GOOD TIME FOR ME TO BRING IT. I asked to speak to the tech before it was scheduled so that I know what they plan on doing as a repair this time rather then just installing another faulty part. The answer is they are going to just install an EXTRA seal to fix it. Has anyone had this done yet, if so has it worked? From what Ive read hear nothing has resolved this issue to date.

Here is the latest to my drama, I get a call from the dealership they want me to bring the car in next wed for a field engineer to come out and do the repairs. THEY NEVER CALLED ME TO FIND OUT WHEN IS A GOOD TIME FOR ME TO BRING IT. I asked to speak to the tech before it was scheduled so that I know what they plan on doing as a repair this time rather then just installing another faulty part. The answer is they are going to just install an EXTRA seal to fix it. Has anyone had this done yet, if so has it worked? From what Ive read hear nothing has resolved this issue to date.

When I was still crawling under cars beneath the shade of a good tree we would have gotten out the tube of Permatex and smeared the seal good and thick so maybe an extra seal is a good idea. At this point anything they can think of that works will suit me fine. That could very well be a simple and effective fix and something someone will say "why didn't I think of that?" :doh:

Update on my 2007 Ford Edge. I was told by the technician at the dealer ship that the new PTU unit is still holding and no leaking. He said that they had to put extra lube on the seal and it is dropping on the exhaust so until that burns off I will smell a burning smell. I asked how long that would take and he couldnt give me an answer. HMMMM..........I am a woman so dont know to much about cars but I do know that irritating burning smell. Would lube smell like this? I guess i have to take their word for it for now and see what happens. Could it be or could it not be? I do still smell it. It will be almost a month since the last one has been replaced.

Just another update to my post from Jan 30.......Edge going in Tomorrow for the 5th time....at least I think it is 5. Has been in so many times for the ptu that I lost count. I think I have given plenty of time for the residue to burn off. I think I have also been more than patient regarding this issue. You know It really irritates me that when you drop off your car they treat you as if you have no clue what you are talking about or I am the only one that has this problem with their Ford Edge or maybe they just think I am stupid!!!! Well that isnt the case because of all the research I have done on this forum. When the unit was replaced in January the tech told me............."give us one more time to fix it........I am confident that it will be fixed correctly this time". Well guess what! Dont think so..........Went underneath the car today and it is full of red liquid underneath. From the day I brought it home in January I spradically smelled the burning and now it is almost everyday except of course those warmer days. Now with the red fluid leak all over the bottom of my car it is confirmed. Was it leaking when I took it back for them to check and they told me it was residue that needed to burn off? Were they hoping I would just go away. I will now take this to the next level. Again, do cars have issues and defects, yes they do but 4 or 5 times for the same issue. I'm sure we all didnt put the money out for these cars to have them spend so much time in the shop and not being fixed . Talk about inconvenience. I look forward to warmer weather so that I can drive my car for a few months without that horrible smell!!!!!!!!!

Galaxieman - Is yours still leaking after the 7251A part was installed?

My wife came home one day a few weeks ago and we spotted the telltale smoke coming from under the vehicle. It has not happened since and I have not taken the time to crawl underneath to look carefully. I see no spots on the garage floor that would indicate the leak so I am hoping for the best at this point. I am going to try to take the time and look under it this weekend .

A quick update...

My second "re-designed" PTU (7251A) is leaking again...So much for a "re-design"...oh well..

On the other hand, I received a proposal from FORD Canada for my vehicle. FORD is willing to offer me $9000 FORD Dollars on the purchase of a NEW Ford/Lincoln vehicle.

My dealership is willing to offer me $20000 for my 2007 Edge with 26000Km on the Odometer. In August of 2007, I paid approx $37000 for this vehicle...Talk about depreciation!!!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I loose money either by going to Arbitration or taking up FORD's offer.

On the other hand, at least FORD is willing to do something about it. Unfortunately, this is NOT the proposal that I submitted to FORD in mid February.

I wanted to exchange my vehicle for a NEW model with same options as mine (It is no longer available). I was willing to shell out of my pocket $7000, and walk away with a NEW Edge.

Looks like we are past round one(1) and ready for round two(2)..

Stay tuned...

Not to jinx myself, but am wondering why after my dealership replaced the whole PTU unit, it is not leaking anymore. Makes me wonder if it is fact how it is installed. I have heard and read that it is a very difficult install to do requiring "special" tools. If not installed exactly right, they will leak again......Just curious.......

Not to jinx myself, but am wondering why after my dealership replaced the whole PTU unit, it is not leaking anymore. Makes me wonder if it is fact how it is installed. I have heard and read that it is a very difficult install to do requiring "special" tools. If not installed exactly right, they will leak again......Just curious.......

This is very true. Seals need to be installed in sequence, and pre-heated prior to installing. One would assume an ASE certified tech would know this..... :rolleyes:

I to have now encountered the leaking PTU. :banghead:

My 2008 AWD Limited Edge has been fantastic and upto today I thought maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

There is just over 12000 miles on it and it runs like a swiss watch.

Before leaving for a family vacation to Florida (we live in the Toronto area) I thought it would be a good idea to have the oil changed. Earlier this week the smell of burnt oil come to my attention and as a precaution I asked for the service tech to check the PTU while changing the oil.

They confirmed it was leaking (very minimal) and even took me into the shop to show me the problem and explain it. I have spent a great deal time over the years working on cars and must admit that the amount of oil on the ecterior of the PTU is minor.

Here is what the dealer told me.

- they have seen this before ( about 1 or 2 weekly)

- they are seeing fewer instances of this problem - none on the 2009 models

- they will redo the PTU - new seals

- it will take 3 hours, parts are in stock, they have a 1 tech who is responsible for all of the rebuilds

- they have not had any problems with the PTU leaking after servicing

- as I planned to leave later that day for my trip, they moved me to the first appointment of the day.

I'm a little concerned to travel that far right after having the PTU serviced, but on the other hand 3000 miles in 10 days should be a good indicator of the integrity of the new seals.

Wish me luck, I'll post the out come either way good or bad.

Still love the my Edge. :rockon:

A quick update...

My second "re-designed" PTU (7251A) is leaking again...So much for a "re-design"...oh well..

On the other hand, I received a proposal from FORD Canada for my vehicle. FORD is willing to offer me $9000 FORD Dollars on the purchase of a NEW Ford/Lincoln vehicle.

My dealership is willing to offer me $20000 for my 2007 Edge with 26000Km on the Odometer. In August of 2007, I paid approx $37000 for this vehicle...Talk about depreciation!!!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I loose money either by going to Arbitration or taking up FORD's offer.

On the other hand, at least FORD is willing to do something about it. Unfortunately, this is NOT the proposal that I submitted to FORD in mid February.

I wanted to exchange my vehicle for a NEW model with same options as mine (It is no longer available). I was willing to shell out of my pocket $7000, and walk away with a NEW Edge.

Looks like we are past round one(1) and ready for round two(2)..

Stay tuned...

This is amazing, if you get compensation this opens up the floodgates for numerous other of us who have had the same problem. Please provide a build date from you vehicle so we can access whether this is applicable to our vehicles.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Edited by garyedwardsmith