Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Great to hear that FORD repurchase your vehicle...I only hope you got what you wanted $$

I am scheduled for the 2nd week of April for the Arbitration meeting. I am expecting also a buyback from FORD..

It's a shame as otherwise it is a very fine vehicle...Well, looks like I will be looking once more at the Japanese models.

My hearing is March 24th.

I have been driving around with this leak for a few weeks now waiting for my hearing. Ford will not look at my car now that I have filed a case against them. Should I be concerned about losing transmission fluid? I have a long drive to the hearing next week.

Well, if you're moving to a Traverse you're not getting away from anything. They share transmissions with the EDGE/MKX. I would discount the loaner based on the fact that people probably beat the snot out of it and it probably needs a fluid change (like most automatics at 30K).

They do share the six speed but hopefully the GM specs that it is built to will be a little different and work a little slicker. I don't know the servicing recommendations on this 6 speed but 30k with a monkey driving it should not have made it act like the one I had. I liked the car but I got out of the fire once.....

Edge18,

There are 2 types of leaks on the PTU

1. Leak from the seal between Transmission and PTU (inner seal)...Leaky oil will be "reddish" in color, same as the Transmission

2. Leak from PTU itself (outer seal)...Leaky oil is darker in color ("black")

1. is the most common problem with our vehicles. Look back on this blog, somebody posted the TSB on this --> TSB 08-12-3

You will need to look under the vehicle where the Right Side Driveshaft enter the PTU. What color oil do you see. If it's "reddish" in color, then make sure to check once in a while the tranny fluid level. You can drive it, however be aware of the smell and smoke that

may materialize as the oil drips on the enhaust.

If the oil is dark in color, then you do have a bigger problem, as it is the oil inside the PTU that is leaking. There in not much oil inside the PTU --> approx 1/2 quart...so depending on the amount of the leak, you may want to keep an extra "eye" on this.

Unfortunately, the position of the oil fill plug is hard to get to. But with some patience it can be done.

Good luck.

Edited by iceman33

And Ford has the gaul to continue to advertise on TV that their Quality is as good as Nissan and Toyota - Bull Shit

I am going back at 10,000km for as second set of seals.

My experience of buying a Ford has turned me against the Fricken Company. Screw them.

I would like to have one of those executive sitting in some ivory tower some place come and have a ride in this smoking vehicle and sit at at a red light and have the putrid smell coming into the vehicle. What a piece of shit.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE

Having a problem with the car is one thing but with the company's handling of the problem is another. I agree that if the company is not responsive a decision to go elsewhere is warranted. Going Japanese because Ford screwed up is not a good response. Why not try GM, unless you have been there and had a bad experience. I find the whole Japanese vs European vs American car controversy unfounded. Once again every manufacturer makes good ones and bad ones at pretty much an equal rate but the handling of the problem "customer service" is key to the whole issue.

You may be able to tell I am one of those buy American first guys but that may have something to do with age. Both my sons own Japanese cars made in the USA.

Having a problem with the car is one thing but with the company's handling of the problem is another. I agree that if the company is not responsive a decision to go elsewhere is warranted.

Where has Ford not been responsive? Trying but being unable to permanently fix the problem is a different thing. I also think this only affects a small number of vehicles mainly in colder climates and I think the problem is that the field techs cannot perform the repair procedure adequately. From the TSB description it sounds difficult.

Well my story continues. The MKX is in now for state inspection and sure enough the seals are leaking again. The dealer is arranging a meeting with the Ford zone rep. They are going to try "a repair that has been successful in the Boston area" a double seal. I swear Permatex would work better!! Anyway I am letting them try that and meeting with the Ford rep. At that point I am informing them that if this does not work I will be requesting an escape from the lease with some monetary adjustment and possibly a sweetheart deal on another lease. If that is not agreed to I will be pursuing the BBB avenue.

Again my dealer has been very cooperative with all of this and if Ford follows suit I will still be a Ford customer. If not GM is my next supplier. By the way my dealer also is a GM dealer and I will buy there again.

This is very dissappointing!

Edge18,

There are 2 types of leaks on the PTU

1. Leak from the seal between Transmission and PTU (inner seal)...Leaky oil will be "reddish" in color, same as the Transmission

2. Leak from PTU itself (outer seal)...Leaky oil is darker in color ("black")

1. is the most common problem with our vehicles. Look back on this blog, somebody posted the TSB on this --> TSB 08-12-3

You will need to look under the vehicle where the Right Side Driveshaft enter the PTU. What color oil do you see. If it's "reddish" in color, then make sure to check once in a while the tranny fluid level. You can drive it, however be aware of the smell and smoke that

may materialize as the oil drips on the enhaust.

If the oil is dark in color, then you do have a bigger problem, as it is the oil inside the PTU that is leaking. There in not much oil inside the PTU --> approx 1/2 quart...so depending on the amount of the leak, you may want to keep an extra "eye" on this.

Unfortunately, the position of the oil fill plug is hard to get to. But with some patience it can be done.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info but I am just a mom will never get under the hood or check the tranny fluid and I don't want to pay someone else to check these fluids. Thanks anyway. Hopefully I will make it the BBB and back.

Well, they replaced the seal again. It was kind of funny - I asked to talk with the mechanic and his first words to me were "this isn't the one we replace the seal on yesterday is it?" The dealer finally admitted they are doing a lot of these - before they said they were only seeing the problem a lot on the Taurus Xs. I noticed on the statement that the part number had a B instead of an A after it, so maybe it is a different seal than last time - they told me it was a different seal that was leaking. The mechanic said his daughter has an 07 that has never had any problems, so he doesn't know why some do and some don't. I suppose it is like anything else - depends on the mold it came out of or something. At any rate - I'll keep posting if/when it leaks again. Some here have mentioned the problem seems to be more in colder weather places, mine has seemed to follow that, but I wonder if it is more an issue of when the PTU is actually sending power to the rear wheels. In warmer/dryer climates, that probsably rarely happens as the front wheels would seldom slip, whereas in the snow and ice, it is happening all the time. Just a thought. I think if it goes again, I'm going to demand they replace all of the axles and PTU to make sure all the parts are new and/or an extended warranty at no cost - I know it is supposedly covered under the 5yr/50,000, but I'd like to see them bump that up to 75k or 100k for my troubles. 3 replacements in 3 months of owning the car is not acceptable.

Does anyone here know what might happen if the Ptu runs out of fluid? My edge has had 3 ptus and several seal kits. A few weeks ago i thought that i smelled the burning smell again. It was so faint though that i thought it was just my imagination so i never gave it much thought. I am unable to notice if it drips onto my driveway becase my driveway is dirt.It is the begining of mud season here in Maine and my driveways is always wet. I did look under the edge and noticed that the boot had been wet and there was dirt sticking to it. Not sure if it was just some residual from two months ago when they replaced the last PTU.

Well today driving home from dropping the son off at school there was a horific noise coming from the pass front area. Same side that has been giving us all the problems. It sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise. It happens at slow speeds and high speeds and stops when the edge stops. Not happy about it one bit! just figured i throw this out there and see if anyone has had this noise. I am sure that it stems from all the repairs over the last 1yr and a half. One other little tid bit the last time the edge was in getting its 3rd Ptu they had to break if not cut off the tye rod on the pass side because it was so rusted on. Thank god for all the crap they put on the winter roads.

Jason

07 Edge buildt on 3/07

Does anyone here know what might happen if the Ptu runs out of fluid? My edge has had 3 ptus and several seal kits. A few weeks ago i thought that i smelled the burning smell again. It was so faint though that i thought it was just my imagination so i never gave it much thought. I am unable to notice if it drips onto my driveway becase my driveway is dirt.It is the begining of mud season here in Maine and my driveways is always wet. I did look under the edge and noticed that the boot had been wet and there was dirt sticking to it. Not sure if it was just some residual from two months ago when they replaced the last PTU.

Well today driving home from dropping the son off at school there was a horific noise coming from the pass front area. Same side that has been giving us all the problems. It sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise. It happens at slow speeds and high speeds and stops when the edge stops. Not happy about it one bit! just figured i throw this out there and see if anyone has had this noise. I am sure that it stems from all the repairs over the last 1yr and a half. One other little tid bit the last time the edge was in getting its 3rd Ptu they had to break if not cut off the tye rod on the pass side because it was so rusted on. Thank god for all the crap they put on the winter roads.

Jason

07 Edge buildt on 3/07

The smell does come and go. Not sure why. Seems stronger in colder weather for sure. I also have a clunking sound that comes from the driver's side of the car usually when making left turns. I too think this is because of all the work that has been done on my car. After 3 fixes it is time to look into your local lemon law or Better Business Bureau.

Well today driving home from dropping the son off at school there was a horrific noise coming from the pass front area. Same side that has been giving us all the problems. It sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise. It happens at slow speeds and high speeds and stops when the edge stops. Not happy about it one bit! just figured i throw this out there and see if anyone has had this noise. I am sure that it stems from all the repairs over the last 1yr and a half. One other little tid bit the last time the edge was in getting its 3rd Ptu they had to break if not cut off the tye rod on the pass side because it was so rusted on. Thank god for all the crap they put on the winter roads.

Jason

07 Edge buildt on 3/07

Hi Jason. :D I would highly recommend that you don't wait and you immediately take your Edge in for Service. Anytime you hear "horrific noise" coming from your car (and it is not due to you beating an unruly child) :finger: , you should bring your car in for service ASAP. The same advice goes for "a metal on metal grinding noise". According to what the problem is, driving it further could cause major damage to your Edge.

To answer your PTU fluid question: Loss of the PTU fluid can lead to catastrophic failure of the unit. We cannot guess as to whether that is your problem, but immediate service is the best course.

You have Bumper to Bumper Warranty Coverage for 3 years/36,000 miles and Powertrain Warranty coverage for 5 years/60.000 miles.

Also, to check for leaks on your dirt driveway, you could put a large sheet of cardboard, plywood or plastic under the engine/transmission area overnight, then check it for fluid leaks in the morning.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

You can also check for leaks by having your driveway paved........I mean c'mon, we put a man on the moon in'69 and your still driving on a dirt driveway. BTW, GM is going out of business, so good luck with your new GM and obtaining warranty service once they have gone belly-up.

Edited by BlazedUp

You can also check for leaks by having your driveway paved........I mean c'mon, we put a man on the moon in'69 and your still driving on a dirt driveway. BTW, GM is going out of business, so good luck with your new GM and obtaining warranty service once they have gone belly-up.

Maybe Ford used the same "O" rings on the Ford Edge as the Space Shuttle!

SMOKIN EDGE

Edited by garyedwardsmith

Thanks for the info but I am just a mom will never get under the hood or check the tranny fluid and I don't want to pay someone else to check these fluids. Thanks anyway. Hopefully I will make it the BBB and back.

Seriously? You'll whine and complain but won't try to take one minute of your crazy busy day to open the hood and actually look at your car? or bend down to see if there is actually a leak or a puddle?

Maybe I missed something because I didn't read the entire thread but take a little responsibility and maintain your vehicle. If you are so worried about making it to the BBB and back, do you really think you should be driving your kids anywhere in any vehicle?? Doesn't sound safe to me

Call a taxi.!

Sweet.. That rattle trap is 10 times worse than the edge.. Not to mention, there probably won't be a warranty coming from GM since they are going to go bankrupt soon..

Good Choice.!

C'mon guys this is supposed to be a forum to discuss our common problem with the Edge/MKX not a chance to beat each other up about our choices.

I am sure capnkirk knows a whole lot about nothing. Dodge/Chrysler has been bankrupt in the past. Did anybody get burned? I don't think so. Have you ever even sat in a Traverse? I don't think so.

The way you attacked the person above I can see you know nothing about everything. This is my last response to you.

The latest; We picked up the MKX on Friday and returned the loaner 2008 Sable that we had for 3 days. This time they installed 2, 8TAZ-7275-B seals , which constitutes a double set of the seals that had been leaking. I was also contacted by the Ford Zone rep who said they have had success with this repair in the past. They want to inspect the seals after about 500 miles. There is a redesigned PTU due out soon, which they will install in my vehicle whether the current repair is successful or not.

Now I do not know if all I have been told is accurate but Ford seems to be trying. I am willing to go along with them until there is no place to go except arbitration as long as they keep trying or until I am satisfied they cannot repair the problem. That point is rapidly approaching.

I mentioned to the zone rep that at least one vehicle has been bought back by Ford, just to let him know I know.

Again kudos to the dealer who has been the reason I have been so patient.

By the way, I also have an unpaved driveway about 400 feet long and love the sound of the cars driving on the stones I have delivered and spread every few years.

Edited by galaxieman

I am sure capnkirk knows a whole lot about nothing. Dodge/Chrysler has been bankrupt in the past. Did anybody get burned? I don't think so. Have you ever even sat in a Traverse? I don't think so.

The way you attacked the person above I can see you know nothing about everything. This is my last response to you.

Never driven one but have sat in one. I was basing my response on my best friend(die hard bowtie man) who is the service adviser at our local GM dealer.

I recently had a similiar Issue:

When I was stopped at a Red Light (with no cars around me) smoke blew into my Edge From the A/C Vents filling my cab. I quickly turned off the A/C and rolled down the Windows. 5 minutes later, Being an obvious glutton for punishment, I turned the A/C back on, and smoke filled the cab Again. I called My Ford Dealership and made an appointment for the next morning.

I explained the Above and a few hours after Dropping off my Edge I got a call from my Service Writer saying "Unable to Duplicate the concern"

At THAT Point I mentioned that many Edge owners were having PTU leaks. He told me He Checked Them already and that even if they Leaked, the Seals arent Near my A/C intake. :banghead:

Hmmmmm Any Advice ?