2015 Edge Shipping?

Has anyone heard or seen updates on the delivery dates of the 2015 Edge? Job 1 date was originally listed at 1/19/2015 but haven't seen or heard anything.

?

Paul

My edge titanium was supposed to be built last week, pre-job 1. Management incremental lease. I didn't recieve an email saying that it was built, but I am hoping to get one early this week. I will let everyone know when I do in fact get that email of actual Bulls date and I will have my VIN number then as well.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard or seen updates on the delivery dates of the 2015 Edge? Job 1 date was originally listed at 1/19/2015 but haven't seen or heard anything.

?

Paul

I just received an email that my Titanium has been built. My VIN number ending in 4654. I will update as I hear info regarding shipping as I will get an email when vehicle clears for shipping from assembly plant to world HQ in Dearborn.

• Like 2

I would think so, but am not certain. I know that they will "stockpile" built units until a mass shipping to dealers takes place once they feel they have enough to not only start to cover ordered units, but also stock dealers with their first couple of unit was part of their allocation. That being said, when my 2011 edge sport was built, about the same VIN number actually, it was built in February and not released for delivery until August! This was due to them having to re-program all the units with MFT when it was introduced on that vehicle as their were quality or software issues. As my vehicles are management incremental lease vehicles, my unit got pushed to the "back of the bus" so to speak so I recieved it late. I am sure that they will take their time and get it right. This is the still one of the newer all new, redesigned vehiclesfor ford since Marc Fields has taken the reigns the others being the F-150 and the mustang. But also understand that Alan Mulally's name are all over these vehicles as they were deigned and committed to under his leadership. Sort of like a new coach inheiriting a previous coaches' draft picks. As I mentioned, I will keep posting as I get info.

• Like 2

I think the sequence number is for the entire plant or assembly line rather than each model, so the 2015 MKXs got the first ones.

Also different vehicles may spend different amounts of time in other parts of the plant prior to the final assembly line.

Edited by akirby

I think the sequence number is for the entire plant or assembly line rather than each model, so the 2015 MKXs got the first ones.

Also different vehicles may spend different amounts of time in other parts of the plant prior to the final assembly line.

Nice try, but not quite!

VIN numbers are assigned somewhere early in the ordering process. Orders get cancelled and re-configured so even before scheduling there is a non-sequence of VINs. The plant will schedule production based on a number of factors like availability of parts, colors (they like to build the same color in batches of 10-20 vehicles so they don't lose too much paint in the changeover process) and other constraints (like one particular option may overload a particular operator, so they have to have the next 3-4 vehicles without that option so he/she can catch up). There may be other priority factors that prioritize certain orders based on dealer allocation and other such things as well, I'm not sure how all that works.

Also Lincolns and Fords have separate VIN sequences, but the Edge and Flex share a sequence since they are built at the same plant.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

"Inbound!" That is awesome! When I was in the car business if we didn't have it, the typical response was that we have it inbound! Lmao! Of course they are inbound, so is the 2017 edge! All anyone has right now is a list of VIN NUMBERS, believe me. I am able to track my titanium which was built last week every step of the way. Yes you have to have the OK TO SELL/SHIP before anything happens. They could stockpile literally thousands of vehicles in a holding area before they get the OK to start to ship. Then I would imagine it is just luck of the draw unless you are a big wig at Ford. My 2011 edge sport was built in May when the vehicle launched and it didn't ship until October! With my incremental management lease I will know exactly when it gets the OK ship, then I will be notified when it clears customs, it could get caught up there, then I will know if it is on a rail car or a truck and when to expect it at world headquarters where I pick it up. I will keep everyone posted as to the progress. However, with some of the first vehicles off the line. Especially one like mine which is an "in-house" lease basically, they call pull the vehicle and subject it to "road worthy testing" at which point it will be driven for appoximately 2000 miles then if all is well it will then ship out.

• Like 2

Today I learned that the Oakville facility has 2015 Edge units on their lots, but my source tells me it appears none have yet shipped. My January 2 Sport order has not yet been scheduled. Reasons for no shipping or scheduling couldn't be determined. Bummer.

At least now I know what isn't going to happen, but at least an improving stock dividend is coming soon.

<sigh>

• Like 1

Today I learned that the Oakville facility has 2015 Edge units on their lots, but my source tells me it appears none have yet shipped. My January 2 Sport order has not yet been scheduled. Reasons for no shipping or scheduling couldn't be determined. Bummer.

At least now I know what isn't going to happen, but at least an improving stock dividend is coming soon.

<sigh>

The scheduling aspect of it has to do with your dealer and if they have an allocation for an Edge order and what "priority" they submitted the order in as. Some high volume dealers will get their orders in the very next round of scheduling, which happens early Thursday mornings. If it doesn't get scheduled one Thursday, you have to wait at least another week.

I already explained why they weren't shipping yet. The reason yours hasn't been scheduled yet is they don't schedule/build retail (sold) vehicles until after the ok to buy has been given and vehicles are shipping directly off the line. Until then only dealer stock is built. The reason is those vehicles are held and must be inspected and potentially fixed before they get shipped. In some cases vehicles sit for weeks and require multiple repairs. You don't want your vehicle to be one of those.

After ok to buy, it's entirely up to your dealer's allocation and your order priority which the dealer controls.

• Like 2

Thanks for both of your replies. I assume "OK to buy" means vehicles have passed QC. I have been buying new Fords off the dealer lot for 30+ years. I'm thinking my 1968 Mustang fastback was the last one I ordered anew. Obviously order and production processes are completely different now.

I just am curious as to what caused the delay in the Edge. I was hoping to jump right to the BlackBerry QNX OS, as the Microsoft OS apparently is a bit wonky.

As an owner of used 1953 and 1957 Fords, and new Fords starting in 1964 with a Mustang, I just am looking forward to a new car since retiring. I've been dealing with the same local dealership since 1979. So I think I am entitled to be a bit disappointed and have the right to <sigh>.

<grin>

• Like 1

They build, hold and inspect every vehicle off the line initially. When they've gone 5 consecutive days with no defects they give the OK to buy and that means they can start shipping the vehicles directly from the assembly line. Then they have to go back and inspect/repair the ones that were built and held. Could be only a few or it could be tens of thousands like the Fusion launch in late 2012.

I just am curious as to what caused the delay in the Edge. I was hoping to jump right to the BlackBerry QNX OS, as the Microsoft OS apparently is a bit wonky.

What delay? Building and holding the vehicles is part of the standard launch procedure. In addition to the 5 days of "clean build", Ford is also putting miles on a few Job1 vehicles that came off the line. They won't get ok to buy until they've run up at least 50,000 miles and haven't found any problems. Back in the original 07 launch this process found a problem at something like 45,000 miles and caused Ford to hold everything for about 7 weeks and rebuild the rear suspensions on about 10,000 vehicles.

I see that Donovan is a "fleet management company" heck they are a hertz company which probably acquires the vehicles for heartz and leases them back to the hertz car rental. Fleets to my knowledge are totally different. The SE may be delayed for "fleet" purchase. It is the base model, low margins, allegedly, and maybe as a fleet buy which is discounted they have been pushed back a few weeks. If truly the SE is delayed, it must be a defect in something that is only on the SE model, like black door handles or something. The engine is the same. other components to my knowledge should be as well, but who knows. Maybe a lower cost supplier was used to keep costs down in this model. I went to the link on your post, and looked at the graph, after looking at the graph, I am sure this relates to "donlan's fleet specifically" not necessarily the world.