Bad Brake Booster???

So I have a 2012 Edge Ecoboost with the entry package and keyless ignition. In the past few weeks when I get in the car to start the engine the Brake Pedal is really stiff. As soon as the engine starts the pedal goes back to what I would call normal. If I use the remote start it feels normal when I start the car. I know that if you press the brakes a lot when the car is off it will get stiff, but all I do is put in park and shut the engine off and get out. The next time I get in the car the pedal is stiff again. Any insight will be helpful.

It's possible the check valve in the booster is going bad. You should be able to get at least one good pump out of the brakes after shutoff. After than, lack of vacuum would create lack of assist i.e. stiff pedal feel.

Brake Booster

The power brake actuation system includes a vacuum assisted brake booster, vacuum check valve, vacuum hose and aspirator. The vacuum hose delivers engine vacuum to the vacuum check valve. The vacuum check valve is a one-way valve that allows engine supplied vacuum to the booster, and closes when engine vacuum is removed. The brake booster utilizes engine vacuum to reduce the amount of effort required at the brake pedal to actuate the foundation brakes.

I did some research and I am pretty sure that it is the brake booster. I am going to wait till this summer to get it fixed because come June 10th I am off for a few weeks. I need to get it fixed before my biggish move.

Don't wait too long, it will progressively become worse until it might become hard while braking even with the engine running.

I have tried to get it to a dealer here in Odessa during the 2nd week of June and they gave me the run around about how they can't set an appointment even three weeks out (which I think is total bs) This is three different dealerships. I called a dealer in College Station, TX and they said that they would look at it on the 27th of July after I move down there for work and would have it diagnosed in one day, and if it will take longer I will have a rental covered under my premium care warranty that same day. At least it sounds like I am moving to an area with a great dealership. Also thank you for the replies. The service department in College Station said he thought it was the brake booster after giving the symptoms I was having. He also said that it was BS that the three local dealerships here wouldn't take an appointment and would take 5-7 days just to look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we have gotten to the point of where it has become hard even when running and a little scary. I am calling corporate ford in the morning and going to see if I can get it into the shop this week and worked on this week. Instead of being told that it won't be looked at for 5-7 business days and no chance of getting a loaner/rental car even though I know it is part of my premium care. I can't go 5-7 days without help. And I seriously don't want to have to drive all around the State of Texas with it not working well. I already put 1500 miles on the car last week and probably another 900 from the 19th through the 25th.

Well we have gotten to the point of where it has become hard even when running and a little scary. I am calling corporate ford in the morning and going to see if I can get it into the shop this week and worked on this week...

Thanks for reaching out to me, tamugrad2013.

I replied, and please check your inbox. :)

Don't hesitate to call on FordService's assistance as needed!

Thanks for the mention, WWWPerfA_ZN0W! ;)

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it fixed this past Friday morning. It feels back to normal thankfully. I just don't see why it had to take a phone call to ford customer service to get this handled. You would think that one of three dealerships in a 30 mile radius could get this taken care of in two or less days. I guess having to take it 40 miles wasn't so bad I am just glad that it has been fixed. Now I am ready for my move to Bryan, and my next adventure a little trip to Ruidoso, NM and Alamogordo, NM Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

had a brake problem on our 2012 edge sel. not effective brakes at low speeds. Drove 160 mile home and problem continued. mechanic friend diagnosed it as a bad brake booter. Dealer suggested not driving it and having it towed in. Ford has a "program" probably to avoid a recll on this issue. Was towed repaired and tested at no charge.

Did not use the extended warranty since the deductible did not apply. I believe they have a "program: fix t avoid a recall. This is a real safety issue and someone is going to get hurt.

I will be writing, certified mail to Ford and copying the Highway administration to suggest a recall since this is widespread enough to have a "program"

A curiousity I have concerning the brake boosters is what is the average miles the Edge has on the ODO when the booster fails or is this a random thing? I have the two Edge's and on is at 76k and the other is 96K neither are demonstrating any pending failures. Also to note specifically what is the manufacturer date of the Edges. Just wondering about correlation to miles and date of mfg.

had a brake problem on our 2012 edge sel. not effective brakes at low speeds. Drove 160 mile home and problem continued. mechanic friend diagnosed it as a bad brake booter. Dealer suggested not driving it and having it towed in. Ford has a "program" probably to avoid a recll on this issue. Was towed repaired and tested at no charge.

Did not use the extended warranty since the deductible did not apply. I believe they have a "program: fix t avoid a recall. This is a real safety issue and someone is going to get hurt.

I will be writing, certified mail to Ford and copying the Highway administration to suggest a recall since this is widespread enough to have a "program"

Not a safety recall issue. They extended the warranty on a bad part. Any that fail get repaired free of charge. Only a small percentage of these seem to be failing - a recall would force replacement of parts that aren't defective and would serve no purpose.

You don't lose brake function.

You just get the pleasure of having brakes that function like a 1956 international dump truck, which by the way had push button start on it. Go figure.

Not a safety recall issue. They extended the warranty on a bad part. Any that fail get repaired free of charge. Only a small percentage of these seem to be failing - a recall would force replacement of parts that aren't defective and would serve no purpose.

You don't lose brake function.

So I had the brake booster replaced with about 44, 900 miles on it and all has been good for 3 weeks. Well now I have 47,954 on it and like I said 3 weeks later the pedal was stiff as a rock this morning when I started it. As I ran my errands this morning I started hearing a whooshing noise when hitting the brake every once in a while. The brakes felt fine when driving it but still 3 weeks and it is starting to make noises again. I am not sure of what options I have since this is a one time fix. Also I am moving in 2 days and I know for a fact that I won't be able to get it to the original shop that has "fixed" it the first time. I am going to call the dealer in my new town Monday morning and ask what options I have. This is becoming a pain in the neck.

So the sign that the booster is failing is when you press the brake peddle to start the car and it is rock hard, then softens when the engine starts? If this is a sign or symptom then Blueberry has this problem, because the brake pedal is so hard it does not move until i push the button to start it.

A somewhat stiff pedal BEFORE you start the engine is not unusual, though ideally it should not be "difficult". This is caused by a vacuum leakdown over time. AFTER the engine starts, i.e., vacuum is available, the pedal should go back to "normal" effort. Now if the pedal required above normal effort when a relatively short time (an hour or two) has elapsed between the last stop and current start scenario, there is likely a leak in the vacuum lines or the booster is failing.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems?start=7

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/brake-booster-operation.html

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfixes.htm

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

While I started it the first time yesterday morning it had been about 14 hours since I last drove it and it was stiff. I decided to let it sit about 45 minutes and tried it again and it was again hard as a rock. Its the same symptoms it was starting with when it started to go out last time. I am almost certain it is relating to the brake booster. I have PM'd Tricia yesterday and hopefully will here some news this morning.