Water Leak! Help!

built2prfctn

I took delivery of my new '15 edge SEL, Magnetic with the 3.5 last Saturday but the leak repairs had not been done yet. Took it in today and had it done on both sides. They used a different sealant that was equivalent to the one called for and said it was approved for the repair by Ford. Here are some pictures.

Not the cleanest job but I imagine using a 3/8 inch brake line to apply it without removing any body panels is tough. I hope it is a good seal. It seems like a very non-precise method.

I guess we will see. There is a chance of rain in the forecast the next few days.

post-36142-0-26510700-1435808399_thumb.jpg

post-36142-0-55463400-1435808423_thumb.jpg

I noticed a putrid smell in my 2015 Edge a few weeks ago and wondered what the source was. I thought I had uneaten food somewhere in the car, but didn't find any.

A few days later I noticed the front and back drivers side floor were wet.

Then just few days ago I started hearing a large amount of water sloshing around in the car when I brake -- can't really figure out where it is, sounds like under the floor but also in front and back. What sort of area or cavity would a car have where so much water can pool? Strange.

Over the past few days I also noticed more water on the front drivers side floor, and can't figure out why its started to increase, especially over the past few days when there's been no rain. It's now a pool in the under the pedals.

At night the windows get totally covered with condensation. I have been driving the car a fair amount and running the AC. Could the AC be expelling water into the car?

My Edge was built in mid-March, so this problem seems to include Edge's built before the April 28-Jun 25 time period noted in a Ford bulletin posted on this site.

The bulletin also said there's a Jun 30 expiration date for the reacall. What happens to Edge owners who get a leak after Jun 30?

I love the car and hope it can be fixed.

• Like 1

Told my story in previous blogs, so here is my latest update. Service department was keeping me informed until the 24th of June. Told them I was going away until the night of the 28th with the loaner. No call from the dealer on Monday, the 29th, but when I was passing the dealer Monday evening I saw my Edge sitting on the lot where completed vehicles are parked. Called the service department on Tuesday am. the 1st of July. Was told they would check it out and get back to me. No call. Today, July 2nd, I went to the dealership to get an answer. Bottom line is the car is sitting with no seats, carpet etc. They say they are waiting for instructions from Ford as to what should be done next. New carpets & insulation or reinstall the ones they removed and dried out. Told them I will not put up with any odors from this ordeal. They told me to keep driving the Edge they rented for me, and they will let me know as soon as they hear something from Ford.

Will post more when I know something!

I noticed a putrid smell in my 2015 Edge a few weeks ago and wondered what the source was. I thought I had uneaten food somewhere in the car, but didn't find any.

A few days later I noticed the front and back drivers side floor were wet.

Then just few days ago I started hearing a large amount of water sloshing around in the car when I brake -- can't really figure out where it is, sounds like under the floor but also in front and back. What sort of area or cavity would a car have where so much water can pool? Strange.

Over the past few days I also noticed more water on the front drivers side floor, and can't figure out why its started to increase, especially over the past few days when there's been no rain. It's now a pool in the under the pedals.

At night the windows get totally covered with condensation. I have been driving the car a fair amount and running the AC. Could the AC be expelling water into the car?

My Edge was built in mid-March, so this problem seems to include Edge's built before the April 28-Jun 25 time period noted in a Ford bulletin posted on this site.

The bulletin also said there's a Jun 30 expiration date for the reacall. What happens to Edge owners who get a leak after Jun 30?

I love the car and hope it can be fixed.

Hi Neptune

The period Ford is covering right now is from June 2014 to April 28th 2015. The expiry date on this bulletin is June 2016. I feel sorry for everyone that has run into this problem.

Edited by bklein61

Well.. Sure glad I found this forum..

Here's my on-going saga.. Have a special needs daughter and we need some more room so figured we'd trade up and Bought a brand new 2015 Edge SEL here in Calgary.. Picked up on Friday after it was detailed.. Carpets were wet but they said it was from the detailing, drive with the windows down and it'll dry up..

Friday night.. Passenger side & rear area starting to dry... Driver side soaked..

Saturday Mid-Day.. Passenger/Rear area bone dry.. Driver side soaked..

Sunday... Driver area still wet.. gone through about half dozen towels..

Monday.. I'm working nights so wife takes it into the dealer at 8am.. Told their busy and can't look til tomorrow at earliest.. Gave wife a rental..

Tuesday.. "Oh sorry we can't look at it today, I only have one trim guy and he's busy.. We're closed tomorrow.. Maybe thursday he can look".. Wake up after getting some sleep from Night shift... Go down to dealer.. Sales Manager see's me.. Tell him what's going on and I've already got Ford Corporate involved.. "We'll get you an update by tonight promise"..

Tuesday Night.. Ford Corporate calls to let me know they talked to the dealer and they'll update me by tonight.. Corp will follow up Friday due to the holidays..

Late Tuesday Night.. Dealer calls Oh there's a recall of your vehicle and we're waiting to hear from Ford" @($*(@#&@(*!!!!!!

So these numbskulls are still selling these units damn well knowning that there's a major issue.. "Supposed" To have the vehicle back tomorrow, but seeing everyone's posts.. I'm not getting my hopes up any! We've also got that damn rattle coming from the back driver side as well..

Just got my Edge back from the dealer on Thursday. Live in San Diego, so car has never been in rain or suffered any water intrusion. They sealed all of the areas around the A pillar. Not the prettiest, but hopefully I never had an issue from the get go. Also had them tighten my hood latch( loose), readjust the hood from unevenness near windows and had them center the rear hatch that was completely off. Dealer gave me a 2014 Edge SEL as a loaner. The 2015 Edge sport is 100x nicer and more upscale than last year's models. I did tint all the windows and next will be an HID conversion.

post-35544-0-71295300-1436127048_thumb.jpg

post-35544-0-09007200-1436127078_thumb.jpg

post-35544-0-31182000-1436127118_thumb.jpg

post-35544-0-92441600-1436127154_thumb.jpg

Looks like mine will be in next week for similar repairs. My rear door is soooooo of center.

Love your wheels. Are those factory?

Very poor quality control at the factory. Pretty sad that Ford couldn't even put a hood on flush or center the rear liftgate. Those are the factory 21" wheels that was one of my main deciding factors in buying the Edge. I test drove a sport with the standard wheels and noticed a much firmer and sportier ride with the 21's. I really like this vehicle so I hope all of the little bugs have been sorted out. BTW, my dealer has been great getting everything fixed to my satisfaction. Good luck with your fix!!

I hope it works out for you. And when it is all said and done, please update us on how things went.

Heard from Ford that my car qualifies for buy back as it failed after they tried to fix based on protocol for recall. Good to see that they're doing right thing.

• Like 1

Heard from Ford that my car qualifies for buy back as it failed after they tried to fix based on protocol for recall. Good to see that they're doing right thing.

Hey Edgeman,

Looks like we are in the same boat! Mine has been at the dealer since mid June, Ford told me last week that it has been deemed 'not repairable', and are going to replace the vehicle. Glad to hear that you are getting a new one. I am not very confident that problems, particularly electronic issues will not continue with the wiring harness being submerged for months. When I seen mine dissamembled at the dealer, was surprised how much wiring was routed beneath the foam floor insulation. Hope your replacement is problem free.

• Like 1

Wonder if these "returns" will be marked as new or reflect their "wet" history. How does this process normally work for future buyers?

These cars are required to be labeled as Lemon Law Buybacks. By law the dealer must display this on the vehicle during sale and they also must report why it is a lemon law buyback.

My guess is the dealer will just unload it on an auction house and let some mom/pop used lot deal with it instead of having that type of car on their lot.

Unlike a salvaged title, I don't think the title will be any different. I think the dealer is required to register the vehicle as a lemon law buyback so there is an official record. Then, of course, it has to be labeled as such during the sale.

Edited by WingNut
  • Like 1

I have checked and we don't seem to have a lemon law, in Canada, like they do in the USA. What I did find is something called CAMVAP. This is supposed to be a deal where both the owner and the manufacturer present their case to an arbitrator who decides what the settlement, if any, should be. Was just wondering if any of the Canadian Edge owners have tried anything through this CAMVAP system. I think some or all of the funding maybe provided by the manufacturers which may not be good.

I have checked and we don't seem to have a lemon law, in Canada, like they do in the USA. What I did find is something called CAMVAP. This is supposed to be a deal where both the owner and the manufacturer present their case to an arbitrator who decides what the settlement, if any, should be. Was just wondering if any of the Canadian Edge owners have tried anything through this CAMVAP system. I think some or all of the funding maybe provided by the manufacturers which may not be good.

Hey Edgy, you are absolutely correct. There is NO lemon law in Canada. CAMVAP is a joke. Slower than the second coming of Christ, and by my understanding, as you pointed out, funded by manufactures. Sure, Sure the little guy will get a fair shake - when pigs fly.

I will be contacting Ford today with an update on my truck and demanding a new one!

Probably needs to be in the shop for 30 days total within X amount of time with the same issue before you'll get a buyback. Ford isn't going to just buyback because you are mad. Become familiar with the Lemon Law in your state, follow the guidelines, and you'll be in good shape.

Just got a call from our Dealer here in Calgary....

Vehicles been in since June 29th (We purchased on June 26th so I only had it for 72hrs..) All the parts are in to fix, but its 2-3 weeks minimum before we see the vehicle due to a delay with the carpet..

Stuck with the rental.. Even though we can't put our dogs into it and our daughters car seat barely fits..

They won't just give us a new vehicle either..