All Ford Edges Now on Factory Hold?

Demo units can be built right now. They don't come off the normal assembly line.

Ā 

Yes, they do. A demo is a car used by the dealership for test drives, salesman to drive home etc. There is no special assembly line for any model, except the prototype units which never get sold to the public anyway.

Yes, they do. A demo is a car used by the dealership for test drives, salesman to drive home etc. There is no special assembly line for any model, except the prototype units which never get sold to the public anyway.

Ā 

I was talking about the pre production protoypes they take to dealers before the vehicle is actually released.

Can we get a second verification of this?

Ā 

I have the same problem. Ordered 2015 Edge mid of August. According to Ford - car was built mid October and should have been delivered beginning of November. Deadline passed a week ago. The dealership does not have any information. The Ford does not know where the car is either when I called them last week. The dealership confirmed the "Quality Hold" today and no ETA. Very frustrating position to be in, especially that I need to rent and don't know for how long.

Does Ford owe me some explanation or clarification - I strongly believe so. What is very strange in all this is that I live not far from Oakville Assembly plant and see how new Edges being delivered on weekend.

Ā 

I have the same problem. Ordered 2015 Edge mid of August. According to Ford - car was built mid October and should have been delivered beginning of November. Deadline passed a week ago. The dealership does not have any information. The Ford does not know where the car is either when I called them last week. The dealership confirmed the "Quality Hold" today and no ETA. Very frustrating position to be in, especially that I need to rent and don't know for how long.

Does Ford owe me some explanation or clarification - I strongly believe so. What is very strange in all this is that I live not far from Oakville Assembly plant and see how new Edges being delivered on weekend.

Ā 

What will an explanation change? If it is a quality hold...it is a quality hold. They won't say "Hey...mtim wants an update so lets speed things up".

Ā 

If you need a car ASAP and on a tight schedule, buy one off the lot. Special ordering a vehicle comes with these types of risks and you must plan for them.

I gotta ask (being the OP of the reliability thread). Does this second hold on the Edge line speak to something much bigger happening?

I am NOT a tin foil conspiracy nut. But just a casual observer of what is happening to the Edge's in 2015.

Ā 

Yes a quality hold sounds great. Great they caught it. But dang, twice in 1 year? Have to admit this sounds bad.

Ā 

The edge has pretty much everything I want but what's with Ford? I'm starting to get spooked from the brand, truth be told.

Again, Quality holds happen more than twice a year. They happen all the time and rarely does the public hear about them. That just comes with mass production of products.

Ā 

I don't see this as a major issue. The leak thing was major and we heard about because we were the ones seeing the issue. So if it was major, I have a good feeling people would be reporting said problem and we could put 2 and 2 together.

Ā 

Quality holds can be anything. Probably a result of something not meeting standard so they hold the entire "batch" until they can produce a fix, verify the fix works, then test each already built unit to see if problem exists. If exists, then replace. If not, then tag it ready to go.

Thanks wingnut.

Ā 

I suppose I just find it odd on the 2015's. Especially with the 2016's literally about to be pushed out of the birth canal. They are still sussing out issues on the 2015's. Are they ready to manufacture 2016 Edges?

Ā 

I may just be hypersensitive. Just does not instill brand confidence in me. I may be the lone nut with that POV. Dunno.

Ā 

Denicio - I ordered my sport on 5/26/15 but was held up for the release of the driver's assistance package (adaptive cruise control). It was built on 10/17 and in my hands on 10/26 - sounds like I got lucky. In the short time I have had the car, I have been extremely happy with it. I was in the same situation you are in right now - the new Edge fit what I was looking for and there is really not much comparison out there. I too am concerned about Ford's reliability - I owned a Ford Explorer 12 years ago and the transmission went on it at 80K. At that point I went to Honda / Acura products and never had an issue. I decided to give Ford another shot, with the new Edge. What I decided to do is lease the vehicle and try to get the best buyout price that I could get - I take very good care of my vehicles and at the end of the lease term if the car is reliable I will buy it out - if not I will move on. The my ford touch works very well - for all the bashing it gets I have been very happy with the system - my hope is Ford continues to run MFT updates to the system and from what I have read they will. Snyc 3 with wifi updates is great but for me, I wanted / needed a car this year.

Baseball,

Dude, thanks for your answer and story.

Yeah, the Probe I had required a new transmission. Its the ONLY car I have ever owned in my 46 years that required a MAJOR replacement like that. I had an extended warranty that paid for its self with that one repair. This is back in 1997. I was kinda hoping to come to the forums and see improvements with Ford. I am seeing a few things here and some there.........enough to spook me.

Right now I am in a good place. My 2014 Mazda runs smooth like a sports car and is paid off. Damn thing sits too low to the ground and my hauling/towing needs will change as we buy property in the next few months. I always buy extended warranties on my cars and have no issues, as of late, wasting that money as I never need them. Its added insurance. With the FORD its a must and I have to reconcile with myself that the Edge WILL be in the shop. I have seen posts in various places of folks leaving their Edges for weeks at a time with the Tech's scratching their heads. Again, this is alien to me and a serious Pain in the Arse if it happens. So.......I sit in indecision. Part of me wants to roll the dice. Especially with the huge discounts they are offering. Safe to say the F&F discounts wont be here when the '16s roll out.

Ā 

Again I appreciate everyone's replies to my concerns and all of them in an adult way. its refreshing. I am hyper sensitive to issues like this and spook easily from a model or brand of a car. Right now the Edge is the only real option I am entertaining. I decided last night to not even try the Santa Fe sport.

Nissan is totally out due to their rubber band tranny's and the problems (MOUNTAIN of issues) they are having with them.

Ā 

Sigh.......

Could be as simple as they found a torque gun on the assembly line that malfunctioned and they need to go back and check the torque on the bolts that were tightened by that gun. That wouldn't be a long delay though. Could also be a batch of parts that were found to be out of spec and they're waiting on replacements from the supplier. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a new model.

Ā 

If you order a vehicle from the factory this is always a possibility.

Akirby,

This is so true.

By day I'm a Technical Recruiter working with Manufacturing companies. We do a TON of Tier 1 auto business.

I can recall a story of the Canton MS Nissan facility putting a SEA of suv's on hold due to the plant manager showing up for work one morning and EVERY SINGLE SUV on the parking lot ready for shipment had flat tires. The jackleg supplier that was responsible for putting the tires on the rims were....uh....not doing their job very well. Imagine the ass chewing they got from him! Odd thing about that Canton plant is that they have many of their suppliers attached to their assembly plant. Many are elsewhere but some are literally sharing property with Nissan. They complete their product and put them on a conveyor belt to the assembly line.

Ā 

I've known suppliers to stop Caterpillar dead in its tracks to the tune of a million dollars a day due to quality issues!

Ā 

But at some point Ford must own the issue. They did on the leak and that's good to see. Just seeing other issues that have me cautious.

Ā 

D

I have been reading this forum since a few weeks after the 2015s were in the dealer lots. I visit here everyday multiple times a day to see what is new. Right now this is what I'd be concerned with if looking at a 15:

Ā 

1. Water leak issue. If it was built before the 28th of April, I'd probably not get it.

2. Rattles. If it has the pano roof, I'd test drive it down a bumpy road to see what kind of rattles you'd have.

3. Trim. I'd look very closely at the trim around the doors and windows to make sure they look good.

Ā 

Beyond that, the other issues just seem to be rare occurrences popping up. Like my exhaust sputter/rattle. Only 1 other person has reported it. Just a bad muffler/resonator.

I have been reading this forum since a few weeks after the 2015s were in the dealer lots. I visit here everyday multiple times a day to see what is new. Right now this is what I'd be concerned with if looking at a 15:

Ā 

1. Water leak issue. If it was built before the 28th of April, I'd probably not get it.

2. Rattles. If it has the pano roof, I'd test drive it down a bumpy road to see what kind of rattles you'd have.

3. Trim. I'd look very closely at the trim around the doors and windows to make sure they look good.

Ā 

Beyond that, the other issues just seem to be rare occurrences popping up. Like my exhaust sputter/rattle. Only 1 other person has reported it. Just a bad muffler/resonator.

Ā 

Cooled seats that don't cool and actually heat up?

The issues where the vehicle just stops/shuts down?

Ā 

Cooled seats that don't cool and actually heat up?

The issues where the vehicle just stops/shuts down?

Ā 

The cooled seat issue is not a real issue IMO. Yes, they don't work as designed but it is more of a creature comfort vs. how the vehicle functions. That is more of a personal thing.

The cooled seat issue is not a real issue IMO. Yes, they don't work as designed but it is more of a creature comfort vs. how the vehicle functions. That is more of a personal thing.

Ā 

Well I would agree with you about the cooled seat issue if Ford was just giving that option away, but since it is part of a package that costs $3,700 I would consider it a concern. With that being said, it won't deter me from making a move on a 2016, if Ford would ever get them on the market, I will just have to hope Ford issues a second TSB to fix them.

The cooled seat issue will probably be something similar to what the F150 owners see. We have a 2015 F150 KR and have had no issues with our cooled seats. My guess is that this issue is not applicable to all of them built. Ford is doing the right thing by trying to get them working right for those that do have issues. If I had issues with an option that did not work correctly I would expect them to correct it. So I would not blame anyone for wanting something to work correctly. With that said I would not be nit picky about every single thing I would notice. There is no such thing as perfect and to expect that would be unjustified....

It's possible the replacements aren't being installed properly by the dealers.

This is why with these types of fixes, I let time go by until I take mine in. Let them troubleshoot it first. Have some practice at it and apply some lessons learned.

Ā 

I would have done the same for the leak fix if the result of having the issue wasn't a pond in the floorboards.

Dealership followed up. All Edges are still on hold with no end date. I'll give it another week and then do a re-order with the dealership for a 2016 model. I'm sure I would get the 2016 sooner than the Edge that is on a quality hold. I mean it's only been 14 going on 15 weeks now for this one, so what's another 8 weeks?

I had the TSB done for the cooled seats on mine. It's too cold outside now to see if there is any difference. The updated seatback fans have a snorkel for the inlet air that is routed to below the seat. If done correctly by the dealer it's easy to see the inlet part of the snorkel if you look under the seats from the 2nd row.