3.5L: 265HP versus 285HP?

OffEdge

I am a new Edge owner, having just purchased a low miles, one-owner 2010 Edge Limited FWD. Being an old gearhead, I cannot help asking what differentiates the 2007-2010 265HP Edge from the newer 285HP model. I suppose this question has likely been asked many times before, so before I pollute the forum with duplicity, I'd gladly take advice from more seasoned members here, if they can point me to a search link that will answer my questions.

Frankly, 265HP throws this 2 ton vehicle down the road just fine, and I'm very surprised by the lack of torque steer, and overall refinement, but I'm always in pursuit of "a little more".

I suspect Ford made some timing changes for the 2011-on 3.5L engine, but perhaps it's as simple as intake and exhaust changes?

Thank you in advance for any information you all may be able to provide.

Having owned and driven both versions of the 3.5 I can say that the 2011 does seem to have just slightly more pep in the step. The better fuel mileage is a bonus. No matter what i did with the 2008 21-22 mpg was it. The 2011 gets upwards into 26-27mpg and both are/were driven in the same manner.

These articles are some great info. It actually addresses my concern about the feeling of dragging when I let off the gas and now I understand the result of this by reading the articles and it is a normal reaction due to the way Ford set up the timing and valves to feel the braking. It also addressed the added braking feeling due to the alternator also kicking in when the engine is in the braking mode to take advantage of the fact that the gas has stopped flowing and utlizes the inertia to take advantage of the unused power from coasting or slowing down. It all seems to make sense now and in all actuality sort of mimics my battery powered Golf cart in regeneration braking.

Better control over timing, and updated tuning are the primary listed changes for the 3.5:

http://www.myfordedge.com/specs/2007-ford-edge-powertrain.php

http://www.myfordedge.com/specs/2011-ford-edge-powertrain.php

When I recently bought my new '14, I was browsing through the brochure of the 2015s. That brochure had the HP of the 3.5 at 280, and the MPG went down -1 from the 2014 versions. I thought that was odd steps in the wrong directions.

I was kinda surprised at this also. I wonder what the reason is?

Good stuff. Mine, at part throttle (even with traction control on--whatever good that does), will roast the front tires, and seeing the 1st gear ratio, I can see why.

I suspect that more than electronic re-tune would be in order to convert a 2007-2010 Edge to 2011-up specs.

Not worth the hassle for an additional 3 pounds per foot of torque and 20 more HP that I'll seldom be able to use, but it's always nice to know one's options.

Indeed.

I was fortunate to achieve 23.7 MPG on the lawless road that is I-95 this weekend. At 55-60MPH, I have no doubt that the 1st gen Edge could achieve its claimed 25MPG (or better), but I so seldom have the opportunity to drive civilized, slower roads.

I was reserved, but very efficient, and pleased with the economy.

This is no drag car, afterall, but it keeps me from being bullied when establishing pecking order on the interstate.

Very pleased...

I figured as much. Most vehicles these days are regulated, power-wise, by timing capabilities.

I suspect that it is either incompatible or ridiculously expensive (both, perhaps) to attempt to modify the earlier Edges to newer specs, and that's okay.

Torque figures between the two are negligible, and that's what moves a machine.

Regards-

During the 1st gen 2007-2010, the 2010 Edge received improvements to the drivetrain & aerodynamics (I think mainly the transmission) that yielded improved Fuel Economy. Officially, FWD models got 1 mpg in both city/highway & AWD got 1 mpg highway and 2 MPG city more compared to the 2009 model.

For the reduced power ratings (2015 vs. 2011-2014), my guess is that's due emissions and/or packaging. Even the 3.7L in the 2016 MKX and 2015 Mustang have lower outputs compared to previous models. Also note that the same 3.5L in the Edge is rated 290hp in the 2011-2016 Explorer, 288hp in the 2013-2015 Taurus & 287hp in the 2013-2015 Flex.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to crawl all over a 2013 Edge yesterday, and put it side by side with mine.

Here is immediately what I looked for (and noticed) differences in:

First, the single exhaust on the 2013 (presumably 2011-2014) is 2.5" in diameter, versus my 2010 that has a 2.25" single exhaust into the dual mufflers.

Second, the air intake is approximately 50% larger on the 2013 (again, presumably 2011-2014) than it is on my 2010.

These are super simple changes( and invisible--especially if you are good with a Dremel cut off wheel or a die grinder, to open the grill up a bit), and even without the variable valve timing changes, probably accounts for 75% of the increased HP improvement at higher RPMs.

I suspect that for $200-300.00, and a few hours at a boneyard, one could up-rate the 2007-2010 Edge to at least 275HP with an exhaust change, and an air box change--with a K&N (or similar, high flow) filter.

Easy peasy...

I wanted to post pseudo-scientific differences between the two generations, so those of us looking for a little more with a first generation Edge can find it easily.

Since we are now aware that the Exhaust timing was made variable on the 2011-up models, we will not be able to change this without new componentry, a new harness, a flash, or all of the aforementioned, but frankly, I believe this to be minor, whereas the physical components are clearly different, and should be addressed first.

Regards all-

Edited by OffEdge
  • Like 1