PTU only on AWD Edges?

I8ACHEVY

Is the PTU only found on AWD vehicles? Sounds like it's the unit that transfers power front to back?

Can anyone confirm, or is anyone having the leak on a FWD Edge?

Thanks,

Aris

I have a 07 Edge AWD SEL and it has been (and is again) 3 times to the dealer for leaking a red fluid from the PTU. It is first noticable by a burning smell and smoke coming up from under the car - presumming it is the transmission fluid that is burning causing the smell. Eventually it is noticable as the leak begins to be seen on your driveway. They keep replacing the PTU seal but I no longer have any confindence in this repair =( I am beginning to wish I had never bough this car, it only has 6500 miles on it.

I have a 07 Edge AWD SEL and it has been (and is again) 3 times to the dealer for leaking a red fluid from the PTU. It is first noticable by a burning smell and smoke coming up from under the car - presumming it is the transmission fluid that is burning causing the smell. Eventually it is noticable as the leak begins to be seen on your driveway. They keep replacing the PTU seal but I no longer have any confindence in this repair =( I am beginning to wish I had never bough this car, it only has 6500 miles on it.

They should be replacing the PTU although it might take awhile to order one.

• 1 month later...
They should be replacing the PTU although it might take awhile to order one.

Yea, I've had mine replaced for the third time too. First time was at 5500 miles when a minor manufacturing defect took out the whole tranny. Second time was bad enough for me to smell the burning fluid. Third time dealer found it during an oil change. It is incredibly ironic since I spend 6 years working at Ford in Automatic Transmission Operations!

Love it otherwise - it is truly amazing in the snow!

• 1 month later...

Yep, same problem here. Mine has been in once and they told me it was leaking from the vent on top (even though the top of the PTU was dry) so they took a little fluid out and a week later sent me on my way. I just got out from under it for the first time since it came back from the shop (about 1 month ago) and it is just as wet now as it ever was. Now the fluid has blown all the way back to the rear axle! Rob at the dealership is going to get an ear full!...if i can ever get him to answer my calls!

• 8 months later...

I purchased a 2008 AWD Edge Limited. I have had the car at the service department 2 times already for PTO seal and it's still leaking. I am working with the dealers service manager when I send him an e-mail he only replies to me by phone or he deletes the content of the email and responds. I am concerned with this and its almost he's trying to protect himself from acknowledging a flaw with the car. I believe I have a LEMON at this point. He tells me that he wants to check the bearing and axle. Has anyone had this issue? I see many postings about PTO leaks but not many as to how or if they worked.

I purchased a 2008 AWD Edge Limited. I have had the car at the service department 2 times already for PTO seal and it's still leaking. I am working with the dealers service manager when I send him an e-mail he only replies to me by phone or he deletes the content of the email and responds. I am concerned with this and its almost he's trying to protect himself from acknowledging a flaw with the car. I believe I have a LEMON at this point. He tells me that he wants to check the bearing and axle. Has anyone had this issue? I see many postings about PTO leaks but not many as to how or if they worked.

My 08 Edge Limited AWD w/ 13k has been parked at my local dealer for a week. They say it is an axle seal that failed. Interestingly, nobody can tell me when the part might actually come in. I called Ford Customer Care, and they elevated the level of the complaint and I am due a phone call next Tuesday. They can't tell me how long the wait is yet, either. Is this the same issue as the PTO problems I have been reading about or something different? In my state (MA), after 15 days out of service I am covered under the lemon law. Anyone have any updates on part delays for this problem, etc? Too bad, otherwise I have been enjoying the car. Thanks for any assistance.

My 08 Edge Limited AWD w/ 13k has been parked at my local dealer for a week. They say it is an axle seal that failed. Interestingly, nobody can tell me when the part might actually come in. I called Ford Customer Care, and they elevated the level of the complaint and I am due a phone call next Tuesday. They can't tell me how long the wait is yet, either. Is this the same issue as the PTO problems I have been reading about or something different? In my state (MA), after 15 days out of service I am covered under the lemon law. Anyone have any updates on part delays for this problem, etc? Too bad, otherwise I have been enjoying the car. Thanks for any assistance.

spike: I have the exact same vehicle, 08 Limited AWD w/ 13,300k and its been at the dealer for a week as well, the only thing they can tell me is that the PTU seal in the transmission is leaking and they are trying to get a new gasket, but their part supplier has either fled the county or gone belly up and they don't know when they will get the part. I do have a loaner but they want it back on Monday or Tuesday, at which point they said it would be ok to drive. I don't think so. Also am from MA, Axle seal sounds different from the PTU though, Will be contacting the AG's office on Tuesday as Monday is the Holiday. Good Luck! Is MA Lemon Law 1 year from delivery date or 15,000k which ever comes first? You are right though, have been enjoying the car very muck Thanks

• 1 month later...

There is no known "fix" for the leaky PTU issue. FORD released a NEW PTU unit in late December. However, these have also

failed. Keep in mind that the leaky PTU issue has been around since 2007 when the Edge was introduced into the market.

2 years later and there is still no solution from FORD...

If you have had a number of PTU's or Seals replaced already, I would strongly recommend that you seek out Arbitration, BBB or

the LEMON Law in your state.

Just because some AWD Edge/MKX have not leak until now, it does not mean they will "never" leak...Just a matter of time.

Maybe they're already leaking and the driver/owner has no idea...Does it smell like burning oil when you have been driving for

a while and you come to a red light?

If you wish to learn more about this issue, please look up the "burning smell" blog in this Forum.

There is no known "fix" for the leaky PTU issue. FORD released a NEW PTU unit in late December. However, these have also

failed. Keep in mind that the leaky PTU issue has been around since 2007 when the Edge was introduced into the market.

2 years later and there is still no solution from FORD...

If you have had a number of PTU's or Seals replaced already, I would strongly recommend that you seek out Arbitration, BBB or

the LEMON Law in your state.

Just because some AWD Edge/MKX have not leak until now, it does not mean they will "never" leak...Just a matter of time.

Maybe they're already leaking and the driver/owner has no idea...Does it smell like burning oil when you have been driving for

a while and you come to a red light?

If you wish to learn more about this issue, please look up the "burning smell" blog in this Forum.

I really hate to go through arbitration, and I'm not sure about the lemon law in MT but I also hate to continue to have this problem, so I'm going to give them another shot at it since it is under warranty. Yes, it does have the burning smell as well as smoking from the engine compartment once it gets bad enough. I usually look for the puddles under the car to begin, but I can also easily look under it myself as I have a pit in my garage. It seems like they would find a way to fix this permanently as it has to cost them a lot of money to keep replacing PTUs in these cars - not to mention the lawsuit if someone finds out they are having health problems from breathing the burnt fluid fumes or a fire starts from the fluid dripping on the exhaust. It really bugs me as a Ford fan(and stockholder) to have these problems in an otherwise good car and see all the people on here that have the continued problem for over a year.

Seems like a bit of an alarmist statement. Many issues like this are caused by tolerance stack ups. For example if you combine a short axle with a long PTU you would have the issue. If you have a long axle and a short PTU, you will never ever leak. These kinds of issues tend to have high infant mortality, meaning they show up right away or not at all.

Assuming that they will all leak eventually is pure speculation and unfounded.