Odd smell, new ford edge

jvanhoos

Greetings,

My wife just got a new ford edge (2015, Titanium). When we took it home the first time, after parking in garage there was a strange smell that reminded me of metal solder. It wasn't particularly strong and dissipated by next day but today (day 3) she said she got it again while parking at work.

I doubt it is particularly concerning but just curious if any of you have had similar experiences or know what it might be. Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Is it entering the cabin or are the windows down at that point? There's a protective coating on the exhaust system that has to flash/burn off, and that can create a metallic odor. Might be more obvious on longer, lower-speed drives where the exhaust gets warm enough and the dissipation is not as quick.

edge status...WIZARD!

• Like 1

Normal. I just had my muffler replaced and the smell has been there with the new exhaust when I pull it in the garage.

Is it entering the cabin or are the windows down at that point? There's a protective coating on the exhaust system that has to flash/burn off, and that can create a metallic odor. Might be more obvious on longer, lower-speed drives where the exhaust gets warm enough and the dissipation is not as quick.

Yup.....My two edges had the same smell....wife said it smelled like burning matches.....it was completely gone within a few weeks. I had a feeling it was exhaust...because I use to race motocross and some of our new bikes would have that same smell and you could track it back to exhaust.

I have Edge SEL 2015

From 10/15

This very unpleasant problem smell from day one

Mostly after some period drive or after park car and back 10-15 min

Dealers refuse listen

After 2500 miles still in and out

Worse when cold

There might be a problem with the exhaust system if the smell happens when cold. Also, have you tried different gasoline?

I almost use same brand and same gas station near my house

I use last 10 y for my Ridgeline low octane gas never had bad smell

Same use to Ford but I can't catch when it's happening

Some time after stop car for parking. For no more 20 min

Open door when back and catch smell

Sometimes when drive circulation on with AC

I never had Ford before after drive 10 yRidgeline this with some degree new for me

I almost use same brand and same gas station near my house

I use last 10 y for my Ridgeline low octane gas never had bad smell

Gasoline varies in composition from batch to batch. The refine from whatever source the can obtain it from, Middle East, Europe, US, Canada, South America, etc. What was perfect gas one day can easily have a much higher sulfur content the next.

Exactly what kind of smell is it? Sour, putrid, musty, wet, dusty, like exhaust, like gasoline, like something burning, like burning rubber, like sulfur or acid? Can you describe the smell better? When you smell molten solder your really smelling the mostly resin in the solder.

I would lean to protective coating on engine parts burning off.

Edited by enigma-2

I didn't see anywhere where you mention if your Edge is AWD, but one thing that I keep thinking is that perhaps your PTU is leaking. When I bought my 2011 Ford Fusion Sport, I drove it home, and when I would get to a stop light I noticed the smell. I attributed it to a new car burning stuff off, but the smell was still present at 600 miles. Moral of the story the PTU seal was leaking from day one. I don't know if this will help with your situation, but mine smelled almost like a garlic type smell. I'm sure someone else like akirby who is more familiar with the PTU leak, can try to give a better description of the smell, but seeing as this thread hasn't seemed to solve your problem, I figured I'd throw out another possibility.

Edited by AceMcGee24

Do you smell it after the car has been sitting overnight, or when the car is running and still cold, or only after it's been warmed up but not driven, or only it's been warmed up and driven? (Sorry for the run sentence, but knowing when you start to sense the smell could help to isolate the cause).

• 4 weeks later...