USB ports and 12v

Hey guys just picked up a 2016 sport on Saturday. Have a question about phone charging. In my 09 Escape the 12v socket was always on, the USB wouldn't charge. Now in the 16, USB does charge, but only when car is on or only briefly when you open the doors. Also, tries the 12v in the passenger side and in the center console and neither are always on. Just like the USB. Kind of a bummer as I like to charge my phone in my car sometimes. Is there a reason why it's like this? Is everyone else the same? Thanks!

Yes this is normal. The USB doesn't seem to charge my phone at a very fast rate. Not even enough to keep up with the drain of using navigation on my phone.

The 12V may stay on for 10 minutes after shutting car off. But eventually it does stop charging.

Probably a safety feature to save battery from draining to far down. You may want to invest in a portable charger to keep for those times you want to charge while not hear a charging block.

It varies by vehicle but always on seems to be a thing of the past, at least with the CD4 vehicles (Fusion, Edge). Probably have to wire in a separate charger to an always hot circuit. But you have to be careful with running down the battery - these vehicles already have a lot of battery issues.

Is the cig lighter "always on"? (if there even is one)? then plug a USB thingy into that, that'll support the higher amperage (I think 2.1 amps is the one that'll keep the phone charged whilst using navigation vs. the crummy 1.2 amp or something)?

My pioneer head unit does the same (not enough juice to keep the phone charging fully if you're using navigation). But my chevy has an "always on" thingy for the cig lighter, so I got a charger for the phone that supports the higher amperage so I can actually charge the phone (albeit slowly) whilst using Navigation (on the phone).

Ford has done that also in the past. They'll get complaints no matter how they do it. Even if there is one of each it may not be in the best position for what you're doing.

I also think the increase in current draw from all of the amenities on newer vehicles makes the battery much more susceptible to even a small draw if left on more than a few minutes so they're playing it safe.

48V systems might fix that.

Is the cig lighter "always on"? (if there even is one)? then plug a USB thingy into that, that'll support the higher amperage (I think 2.1 amps is the one that'll keep the phone charged whilst using navigation vs. the crummy 1.2 amp or something

Actually it's 500 ma.

Fyi, my 2009 outlets are always on.

Edited by enigma-2

• 2 months later...

I have an app called "Galaxy Charging Current (free)" that show charge rate on my Samsung Note 2. While on a 4 hour trip, I noticed that the phone battery was actually draining very slowly with the screen off- never charging up while plugged into the USB port in the console of my 2011 Edge Limited. The app measured it at 450 mA charge rate which is pretty low.

• Like 1

Hi, I also have a 2016 Edge (SEL) and also noticed the USB charges slow and is only active when the vehicle is on. Though I bought a 2.4A+QC2.0 12v cig-lighter-type charger and have it plugged into the power point inside the center console/armrest. It seems to be active 100% of the time (including when the vehicle is in an extended off period), so maybe check that power point and see if it works better for you.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Titanium and my passenger side dash accessory is always on. I don't like this because both my GPS and Driver Cam never shut off. In my Jeep the front outlet works only when the car is on and the one in the armrest stays on. Best of both worlds. I thought maybe there would be a setting for this.

look into Forscan, it can change that feature, but if you hardwire both (better option) you wont have that issue.

• Like 1