Adaptive steering fault

Really? is it how they solve the problem for others here as well? Basically, they confirm it's a hardware issue? not just some software glitch...

It seems to be a over time tolerance issue with the gears inside the wheel itself so they have revised the design internally and also I believe updated some software as well. For some they just got a revised clock spring but and I think they are okay but some came back from that so they went back and just fixed the core issue of the wheel itself I guess.

FYI: My wheel was replaced and is same on the outside but my down arrow on the left side controls is a little finicky while my original wheel was perfect. I was not gonna fight them on this though as the wheel works fine and tracks fine.

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew

I got the software/clock spring replacement fix. There have been no issues that I know of since the fix. It appears to be OK. But I got this just on the cusp when the standard fix became a wheel replacement. I am a bit nervous that Maybe I should have gotten that fix. If it had been another week or two I would have had the knowledge of it (new wheel) being a default fix and would have insisted upon it.

I wish everyone well who has had this issue.

If anyone else got the clock spring repair and is having any further issues, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Got the new steering wheel fix on 5/7/17. So far so good with no fault messages. Will advise the forum (and Ford) if any more fault messages. My service advisor did say the technician had to contact Ford Technology Center to implement the required "programming" to complete the new wheel installation.

• Like 1

Hi

I have recently bought a Ford Edge Sport in the UK and after owning and loving driving it the Adaptive Steering Malfunction warning came on It has now been to Ford Dealership twice and tomorrow they will fit a new Steering Wheel lets hope that works but not convinced

Rattachicon.gifIMG_2257 2.JPG

Ford dealer UK won't allow car to be driven on road as it is "NOT SAFE" to be on the road be advised that Insurance may be void if you drive this vehicle with Warning light appearing ????

My service advisor told me the Ford technician doing the repair and said it was safe to drive (even with the fault warning light coming on intermittently) while awaiting the new steering wheel. I drove it for a week with new problem. I have read about steering wheels that were turned 90 degrees to one side even while driving straight. That I could see being unsafe.

Good news, less good news on the adaptive steering fault fix. Good news: Fixed. Less good news: The techs forgot to reprogram the car so that the adaptive steering works. (The option is grayed out in the instrument cluster.) So I'm stuck with regular power steering until I go back for that fix. I can live with that. First world problems.

• Like 2

Sorry for the cross post, I started a new thread on this subject, but there are so many people on this thread with steering issues I thought I would ask if anybody had these same issues.

We just picked up a new 2017 Edge Sport last week.

The best way to describe the issue is, it feels like the tires are grabbing a groove in the road and changing direction, but they aren't.

When going around a long sweeping turn, with a constant pressure on the steering wheel, the resistance will all of a sudden get softer, causing you to turn a little sharper. It feels like the tire grabs a groove and pulls, but that is definitely not what is happening, it is definitely in the steering, and yes it has the adaptive steering.

Has anybody felt anything like this?

Sorry for the cross post, I started a new thread on this subject, but there are so many people on this thread with steering issues I thought I would ask if anybody had these same issues.

We just picked up a new 2017 Edge Sport last week.

The best way to describe the issue is, it feels like the tires are grabbing a groove in the road and changing direction, but they aren't.

When going around a long sweeping turn, with a constant pressure on the steering wheel, the resistance will all of a sudden get softer, causing you to turn a little sharper. It feels like the tire grabs a groove and pulls, but that is definitely not what is happening, it is definitely in the steering, and yes it has the adaptive steering.

Has anybody felt anything like this?

Sounds like your lane keeping system is whacked out. Try turning it off and test it out.

Like I said, it's new... Lane Keeping? I know we have the sensors in the side mirrors, but I didn't know we had lane keeping.... We do not have the Adaptive Cruise, which also did the braking, is the lane keeping part of that option we don't have?

Like I said, it's new... Lane Keeping? I know we have the sensors in the side mirrors, but I didn't know we had lane keeping.... We do not have the Adaptive Cruise, which also did the braking, is the lane keeping part of that option we don't have?

On the turn signal stalk do you have a button on the end, and if you press it do you get a car with lines on either side show up in the left side of the Cluster? Also since you are feeling this issue on turns while making a turn that you know it can repeatably be done on and when safe to do so turn on your turn signal in the direction of the turn to disable the system if it is enabled and see if anything changes.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/safety/lane-keeping-system.html

Malcolm

• Like 1

Ford dealer UK won't allow car to be driven on road as it is "NOT SAFE" to be on the road be advised that Insurance may be void if you drive this vehicle with Warning light appearing ????

My car has been in ford dealer for 4 weeks now they won't let me use it on the road as they say it is not road worthy waiting on back order wheel for 3 weeks so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the the dreaded Adaptive Steering Fault message today. Booked an appointment at the dealership for Friday. The steering wheel is at 90 degrees when the car is driving straight. Steering otherwise feels normal.

Is there a documented fix for this now?

2016 Edge Sport 15000 kms.

Update on the Adaptive Steering Fault error message. After turning off the car the steering wheel went back to 'almost normal', only about 20 degrees off of straight, and the error message went out and never came back again. At the dealer this morning the dealer/mechanic recognized the issue right away, has ordered all the parts and they will arrive on Monday. Hopefully I'll have the car back on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week at the latest. They were VERY good at the dealership. Kudos to them. They did not want me to drive it until the parts arrive so they paid for a rental. All done under warranty.

Edited by ErikA
  • Like 1