Door Weatherstripping

Beezz

Has anyone actually gotten their dealer to replace the weatherstripping along the bottom of the doors free of charge? The inner parts of my doors are always getting covered in road grime and mud and there are small rust spots forming already. I'm going to let my dealer take a look soon.

Edited by Beezz

I'm going to try this as well. I have just been too lazy to waste a Saturday at the shop yet. But am slowly building a list that includes this.

I sprayed fluid film along the bottoms of the door and it's made it even more obvious how much road grime is getting inside the door. My other big fix is rear passenger door that is not sitting flush. The back top corner of it if you look into the crack of door I can see the paint from the body...these are the types of things that drive me nuts living in a place with a lot of winter salt.

It's an almost guarantee rust spot.

I'll probabaly wipe it down and reapply before winter. To be honest the only reason I used it so early in season was to see what it looked like on a white car. It does the job but gives a slight yellowish rust hue to the doors. I'll live as long as it's not actual rust!

Sprayed my door hinges as well. I do love this stuff

Dealer service guys said there was nothing they could do. Talked to the collision centre manager and he said even if they replaced all the weather stripping the problem wouldn't be fixed, went on to say its a design flaw. IMO: Realistically if the weatherstripping was thicker, or the doors were aligned to close tighter, nothing would be getting in, except on the rear doors where the wheel well meets the bottom of the door.

• Like 1

I don't see how weatherstripping would help this. Not in the current design.

I too notice a lot of road grime getting between the door and the car. The good thing though, the paint on the inside below the door opening doesn't get any grime on it. So if you rub your pant on it, no issues with them getting dirty.

When I wash (weekly) I always make sure to do a quick wipe down of the inside of the doors to remove as much grime as possible. Once in a while hit it with a spray wax and/or sealant to help protect it.

I agree, it is a good sign it's only on the door and not the door sill. That to me also shows it's probably not weatherstripping and more so design of the door. Guess I'll have to be more vigilant in wiping it down. For now the fluid film is sprayed on and all that grime is sitting on top of that. When i wipe the lubricant off should be clean underneath

See but that's the issue, I have dirt and water going onto the door jambs/sills as well.

my driver side back door piece was never fully seated. it would always seem to come off. I had to completely remove it from the vehicle and remove tons of dirt stuck on the inside of it preventing it from sitting properly on frame of wheel well. after I did this, it hasn't came off at all and the dirt stops at the weather strip now instead of in the door jam. Though the one thing I hate about this car is the filthy bottom of the doors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Bringing back an old thread. I've been dealing with the same issues with the door seals and doors filling with debris. Wife travels about 16 miles of gravel every day, and when it rains, they get sloppy. I am not sure if our aftermarket warranty will cover the repairs for this TSB, I also don't know if the TSB will replace the exact weather stripping I need. I need the weather stipping that runs along the very bottom of the car. Both passenger and drivers filled up so bad with dirt and snow, over the last 2 years, That they pulled out and ripped. It's the long piece that runs from front to back. The strip that goes up the rear infront of the wheel well, is okay, just needs cleaning. Its that bottom strip that is loose and hanging down on the passenger side, and is completely missing on the drivers side, any idea on the part number for that piece. TIA

@coleford96

The TSB includes both, the bottom & rear weatherstrips. It also includes a mini mud flap that helps direct air and dirt a bit away. 

If the warranty doesn't cover it, the lower weatherstrips are about $40 each. They redesigned, so should be better than the originals:

Right:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-weatherstrip-door-lower-ft4z5820758b

Left:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-weatherstrip-door-lower-ft4z5820759b

Also consider the mini-mudflaps:

Right:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-mudflap-asy-ht4z16a550aa

Left:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-mudflap-asy-ht4z16a550ba

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

On 22 septembre 2016 at 10:15 PM, Beezz said:

Has anyone actually gotten their dealer to replace the weatherstripping along the bottom of the doors free of charge? 

Yesme. The dealer replaced all the weatherstrips at the bottom of the rocker panels on my 2016 Titanium for their newer design and this free of charge. There is a service bulletin about that. I can tell you that it made a big improvement. Now there's practically no more debris (or very little) accumulating at the bottom of the doors.

I sold my '16 to my father-in-law and bought a new '19 which already comes with the new weatherstrip design.:2thumbs:

and

On 30 septembre 2016 at 2:49 AM, Beezz said:

Realistically if the weatherstripping was thicker, or the doors were aligned to close tighter, nothing would be getting in

That's exactly what they did with the new ones. They're thicker, wider and make a much better seal against the bottom of the doors.

Claude. :)

Edited by 2FAST4U
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Are there any part numbers to these or TSB numbers? I definitely have seen this any time it rains the lower door panels are always completely coated. We live in South Georgia so no snow or ice and the car only has 25,000 miles (2015). I already see rust on the fold lines/weld lines on the door from this. 

Never mind... some searching I found this:  TSB: 18-2339:

TSB

Edited by anile_eight

• 11 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, omar302 said:

@coleford96

The TSB includes both, the bottom & rear weatherstrips. It also includes a mini mud flap that helps direct air and dirt a bit away. 

If the warranty doesn't cover it, the lower weatherstrips are about $40 each. They redesigned, so should be better than the originals:

Right:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-weatherstrip-door-lower-ft4z5820758b

Left:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-weatherstrip-door-lower-ft4z5820759b

Also consider the mini-mudflaps:

Right:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-mudflap-asy-ht4z16a550aa

Left:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-mudflap-asy-ht4z16a550ba

I am pulling this up on Tasca and it is saying that it won't fit my 2015? May I ask what year your Edge is/was that these parts fit on? 

These weather-strips sag on the ground when it snows, due to the weight. Whomever owned the car before me never took care of these and the holes are stretched and ripped. 

5 hours ago, MTSnowBunny said:

I am pulling this up on Tasca and it is saying that it won't fit my 2015? May I ask what year your Edge is/was that these parts fit on? 

Mine is a 2016. The original part# are FT4Z-5820758-A & FT4Z-5820759-A which show up as discontinued. They installed the newer ones (with B suffix) which on the Tasca site show doesn't fit, but they obviously do.

• Like 1