SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

...has a supposedly brand new Sync operating system that is actually already out of date. It's not like I bought a low spec Fiesta with thin profit margins.

Please forgive the rant, but it seems like a Cavalier attitude to take with their customers. Unless there is some good old fashioned customer service oversight, it doesn't bode well for repeat business potential.

It's software, it's almost always going to be out of date. A cavalier attitude would be to roll out the new version without proper testing and without having the infrastructure in place to support it. If you are comfortable with living on the bleeding edge and the small possibility of things being broken, you can download the software and install it yourself. If you want the factory to stand behind it 100% then don't complain that it isn't available until they determine they are ready to do that. It's the same with Windows, I can download the latest "Insider Preview" from Microsoft and get new features, and understand that things may break, or I can wait for the regular update cycle. There are beta testers and there are regular users, the risk/reward choice is yours.

It's software, it's almost always going to be out of date. A cavalier attitude would be to roll out the new version without proper testing and without having the infrastructure in place to support it. If you are comfortable with living on the bleeding edge and the small possibility of things being broken, you can download the software and install it yourself. If you want the factory to stand behind it 100% then don't complain that it isn't available until they determine they are ready to do that. It's the same with Windows, I can download the latest "Insider Preview" from Microsoft and get new features, and understand that things may break, or I can wait for the regular update cycle. There are beta testers and there are regular users, the risk/reward choice is yours.

Just for clarity...the version of Sync 3(2.2) that people are installing is NOT a beta. It is a production build, and is available in the IDS system for certain vehicles. Pretty sure Ford would not release it to the Lincoln vehicles if it wasn't tested, because that is the Premier line.

So my 8 month old car with 7,000 miles on it went in to have the drivers seat track mechanism replaced under warranty as it had already started to feel disconcertingly loose; not a good sign.

I asked the dealer if they could try to upgrade my Sync 3, which is currently at V1.0. They said that their IDS system shows my car to be completely up to date at 1.0. I see responses on this forum that the 2016's will be upgraded by the end of 2016, now changed to sometime in 2017; why do you think that I don't believe that they will ever do this upgrade? After avoiding Ford's products for literally decades, I came back and purchased a top of the line 2016 Edge Sport, loaded with expensive options, that has a supposedly brand new Sync operating system that is actually already out of date. It's not like I bought a low spec Fiesta with thin profit margins.

Please forgive the rant, but it seems like a Cavalier attitude to take with their customers. Unless there is some good old fashioned customer service oversight, it doesn't bode well for repeat business potential.

Links were posted on Page 16 of this thread. If you just want Android Auto, or improved voice prompts, it will accomplish that with a mere USB drive and a download. If you want CarPlay you will need to swap out the USB hub, there is a Ford part number from the 2017 Edge, and Lincoln Part number from the MKX that will work. Only difference is port surround color. Ford is blue, Lincoln is white. Multiple people in the thread have pictures and instructions.

Links were posted on Page 16 of this thread. If you just want Android Auto, or improved voice prompts, it will accomplish that with a mere USB drive and a download. If you want CarPlay you will need to swap out the USB hub, there is a Ford part number from the 2017 Edge, and Lincoln Part number from the MKX that will work. Only difference is port surround color. Ford is blue, Lincoln is white. Multiple people in the thread have pictures and instructions.

Thanks Ray. I would have preferred a dealer install just in case the system gets bricked. I have the download and will try it at the weekend.

My rant was because my car was built around May last year and they have since gone through V1.1, V2 and are now on V2.2 and yet they are seemingly doing nothing about the people still on V1.0 except giving us rolling delays - that is poor customer service.

Thanks Ray. I would have preferred a dealer install just in case the system gets bricked. I have the download and will try it at the weekend.

My rant was because my car was built around May last year and they have since gone through V1.1, V2 and are now on V2.2 and yet they are seemingly doing nothing about the people still on V1.0 except giving us rolling delays - that is poor customer service.

Other than AA/CP there are no significant upgrades in 2.2. There are bug fixes available for folks who need them, but if you're not having any problems they won't help you.

Again - you seem to be obsessing over the release number instead of functionality.

Other than AA/CP there are no significant upgrades in 2.2. There are bug fixes available for folks who need them, but if you're not having any problems they won't help you.

Again - you seem to be obsessing over the release number instead of functionality.

That is incorrect. There are differences other than AA and CP when going from 1.0 to 2.2. The voice prompts are faster and more concise, some of the nav poi interface has been reindexed in some way, that is why it has to reread the nav data after the update. I have noticed improved Nav performance when searching for stuff, as have others that I have done the update for.

• Like 1

Here's an oddity after install of the USB Hub:

Hub has been working great, used Carplay a few times already. I wanted to see if I was able to have my iPod hooked up/playing while having Carplay also in use. I had one OEM Lightning cable and one after market in my car so I tested with those. I couldn't get Carplay to register from the after market, so Carplay was working with the OEM. Carplay was on, but then couldn't get the iPod to register at all. I unplugged both, restarted my phone. Now neither cable will register either iPhone or iPod or charge or load up Carplay.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. I'm going to go out there with another OEM cable, with a fresh reboot of phone and car and see if anything changes.

Here's an oddity after install of the USB Hub:

Hub has been working great, used Carplay a few times already. I wanted to see if I was able to have my iPod hooked up/playing while having Carplay also in use. I had one OEM Lightning cable and one after market in my car so I tested with those. I couldn't get Carplay to register from the after market, so Carplay was working with the OEM. Carplay was on, but then couldn't get the iPod to register at all. I unplugged both, restarted my phone. Now neither cable will register either iPhone or iPod or charge or load up Carplay.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. I'm going to go out there with another OEM cable, with a fresh reboot of phone and car and see if anything changes.

What model iPod?

I didn't say there were no differences. I said no significant differences. Those are all minor things IMO.

See, where as I think one of the Main Key features(Voice Prompts, and response) being MUCH improved as not being a minor thing. Sync 3(1.0) was better than Sync 2, but the new update makes that gap larger, even not taking CP and AA into account.

See, where as I think one of the Main Key features(Voice Prompts, and response) being MUCH improved as not being a minor thing. Sync 3(1.0) was better than Sync 2, but the new update makes that gap larger, even not taking CP and AA into account.

I haven't noticed any issues with voice prompts or responsiveness. Then again I don't use that a lot.

I still maintain that unless you're having issues with 1.0 or you're Jonesing for AA/CP there isn't much reason to complain about 2.2 not being GA yet, especially when it's available if you really want it.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any issues with voice prompts or responsiveness. Then again I don't use that a lot.

I still maintain that unless you're having issues with 1.0 or you're Jonesing for AA/CP there isn't much reason to complain about 2.2 not being GA yet, especially when it's available if you really want it.

Mine worked on 1.0, but they are better on 2.2. My wife is the one that actually noticed on her 2017 Expy. I did not tell her I had updated hers, and she said, "What did you do to my Radio?". That is normally followed by "Oh SH..." by me. Then she said that the voice command was so MUCH better. It didn't delay as much, and understood quicker. She said the voice spoke a little faster too.

I agree on your 2nd point wholeheartedly.

I say just download the file, and do it, you won't regret it.

Well, I'm having issues too like Livestrong16. Unzipped to thumb drive, took it to the car, plugged it in, it showed it was indexing files and indexing complete and then nothing for the next 10 minutes. What am I doing wrong? UPDATE: I posted on Ford Edge FB page, tried again this morning and got a different warning message stating "Installation Failed- The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version."

I am perplexed!

Edited by RetiredgE

So thanks to the great information in this thread, I was able to easily update to V2.2 this morning. I still, as others have also alluded to, stand by my comments about Ford Customer Service and the lack of updating software that is now 3 iterations on from the V1.0 that came with my new car last year.

I used an older flash drive that I reformatted using the full, not quick, format facility in Windows 10; FAT32. I unplugged USB cables and turned off Bluetooth on my phone just in case. Plugged the drive into the lower port. It instantly came up with a message stating, "Updating Software". After a while the flash drive light was off. I then waited about 20 minutes and a "successful update" message came up. Unplugged the drive, turned off the car, locked it up and went in for a coffee. When I came back out after a few minutes, started the car. As others have seen the "map loading" message kept running. I gave it about 5 minutes, then as recommended here, turned off the car, opened the door, waited for Sync to shut down, closed door, started car and map came up after about 10 seconds. "About" screen shows V2.2. Enabled AA in the car and phone before plugging in the USB cable. It seems to be working OK, although I still have to test the voice control and take it for a drive.

• Like 1

I have every right to comment on customer service; that was my last one relating to this issue. You have made it clear that you don't agree - fair enough, so now just try and realize that not everyone accepts the service levels that that you appear to. In my industry, we wouldn't last long by having a similar approach as Ford has on this subject.

I, along with some others, obviously have higher customer service expectations for a $40+K vehicle than you do. I will not be responding further, so flame on.

• Like 1

Well, I give up. I guess I'll just wait until Ford decides to push the upgrade OTA. I did what Rocketboots did and all I got was "indexing" and 10 seconds later "indexing completed" and for the next 10 minutes, nothing. Oh well. I'll survive.

What model Edge do you have? Do you have Nav? The only thing you have on your flash drive is the contents of the zip file expanded and copied to the drive?

PC. WIN 10, did a full format FAT32 prior to expanding the zip file.

The flash drive should have the auto install.ist file and the SyncMyRide folder as the root. Don't simply copy the whole zip file over to the flash drive. You need to go into the folder which is created when you unzip the file and then copy those contents over to the flash drive. Unless the auto install file is the first thing the Sync 3 system sees, the update won't take.