SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

I remember someone mentioning to remove the right side trim piece on center console and the piece that goes through the pass through under it to access the underside of the USB hub. Anyone have a how to or video?

Hi Tom,

I recently did the instal for the hub this way. You can use a trim tool (or similar prying device that won't damage the finish) to pop the leather material that runs between the silver trim around the stereo and the lower plastic trim which goes all the way to the floor. The entire piece can come out if you move the passenger seat all the way to the back (the piece runs all the way to the rear of the centre console. This will give you very limited access behind the panel where the USB plugs into.

If you look at the hub you purchased you will notice on the top and bottom (the skinny sides), there are two tabs (one on each end) which can be pushed down. This is the key to popping out the hub (not the tabs that run along the side of the hub). I ended up removing the plastic trim behind the hub which wraps around the cubby passthrough for easier access as well as some of the lower plastic trim that runs to the floor. However, knowing what I know now, you may not need to do this if you can get a long screwdriver in to push down the top tab. Once you have it pushed down you should be able to pop the top out at least. If you can get access to the bottom without removing more trim, do the same there and the unit should slide right out.

As I mentioned earlier, I ended up removing the plastic behind the console around the cubby pass through as well as the lower trim that runs to the floor area. This allowed me to get my entire hand in behind and squeeze both tabs (top and bottom) and push the hub out. In hindsight, having known the top and bottom tabs are the key to removing the hub, I may have been able to pop it out without removing as much trim.

Good luck with the install. It's worth it in my opinion. Siri is much better at understanding voice input for navigation than Sync, not to mention that your maps will always be up to date.

• Like 3

Really doesn't do much unless you have the 2017 year model. Than you can remote start and unlock doors via its 4G connectivity Pretty much like GM OnStar

Sync Connect is not available on the Edge yet, only the 2017 Escape, 2017 Fusion and 2017 F150 have it now. With the upcoming Ford Smartlink device you will be able to use all the features currently available with Sync Connect / Ford Pass on earlier models.
  • Like 2

Pretty sure I've asked this before, but when is the OTA official release of 2.0 be available? I don't care about ACP or AA but I would like the improvements made from my current 1.0.

And I have answered it before...There is no official date. I have now heard of 2 2016 Edges getting it OTA. That is it. Just download the file and install it. It is easy, takes very little time, and installs why you are driving.

• Like 1

So you're connected to the vehicle and you go to bluetooth devices on the phone, click on Sync (the one that's currently connected if there are multiples), then set the notifications to ON?

Try doing a reset on your phone by holding the power and home buttons for 20 seconds or so. Then, if necessary, unpair and repair your phone.

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply

Just a FYI. After the update I turned off car. Hour later restarted and the Nav wouldn't connect. A simple restart solved that issue, all is good

Yep, Been discussed Multiple times in this thread. Nav Data has to reindex. No matter how long you let it sit, the update doesn't finish until the next power up, it does the reindex after that. Sometimes it requires one more reboot after that to get it to actually display.

• Like 2

This piece correct? And no need to remove the chrome piece?

Yes that's right, and no need to remove the chrome. As mentioned you may need to remove the plastic that runs around the back of the stereo near that cubby that passes through from the passenger side to the drivers side. You may also need to pull the lower trim panel off that runs from the floor up to the part you marked in your photo. All depends on whether you can get a tool in to pop the tabs down.

• Like 2