SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

WHEN I TRY TO DOWNLOAD SYNC 2.2 ON THE OWNER.FORD.COM SITE I get a message "System Error This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try later or contact us."

I have had the same problem using 3 different browsers and 2 Apple computers. A SYNC agent escalated the problem several days ago. "The case number is CAS-12213792. Someone will reach out to you once this is corrected."

Do the Ford dealers charge to upgrade SYNC?

Is each SYNC version unique to the VIN?

Any ideas on how I can get the v2.2 file?

So i finally got the update installed after several attempts... Sync was stuck saying updating software for over an hour on all attempts (thank you NY rush hour traffic?). I even Factory reset sync after the first attempt. After trying with 3 different USB drives (2GB, 16GB, 64GB), i decided to try downloading the update with a different browser. Instead of using chrome, I stooped to using the dreaded Internet Explorer. Plugged in my 16GB drive (first time i attempted with this drive) and after 20- 25 minutes i was updated. Took 3 restarts to get it all loaded.

Why is sync so picky with the USB drives? same thing used to happen with my 2013 Fusion and sync 2 w/ MFT...

• Like 1

Oh hi,

I went to owner.ford.com and log in. I have 2017 Edge Sport with Sync 3 version 2.0 It does not offer me v2.2 and says I am up to date. My Edge build date was Oct 2016. Car play works, I so I must have the required hub.

Any thoughts why I am not offered 2.2?

Hey everyone. I'm a Ford dealer out of Kansas City and I've been following this thread for quite a while and created an account today.

I didn't see it here, but yesterday there was an official Ford message regarding the upgrade making Apple CarPlay possible.

I ordered the part yesterday and it arrived today. We're updating my company vehicle tomorrow morning.

Here's the official text from the notification.

Publish Date: May 1, 2017

EFC05649 SYNC 3 Software Update Available for 2016 Model Year Ford and Lincoln Vehicles & Apple CarPlay Customer Pay Hardware Upgrade + 2017 Model Year Dealer Channel Only Update

ACTION REQUESTED

Please ensure all appropriate personnel are aware of the available SYNC 3 software update: o Update for 2016 model year Ford and Lincoln vehicles and the required customer pay hardware upgrade to utilize Apple CarPlay o Update for 2017 model year Ford and Lincoln vehicles and 2016 model year vehicles with SYNC 2.0 software to correct multiple conditions related to GPS and SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link

SUMMARY
A SYNC 3 software update is now available for 2016 model year Ford (not available on 2016 model year
Transit) and Lincoln vehicles. This update includes the below:
-Updated voice recognition engine
-Bluetooth phone and media improvements
-Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped)
-Android Auto* for supported devices
-Apple CarPlay* for supported devices with hardware upgrade. Owners of 2016 models with
SYNC 3 are required to perform a software update and purchase a hardware upgrade
Owners may receive software updates via an update over Wi-Fi or the traditional download method using
a USB drive from Owner.Ford.com or Owner.Lincoln.com. If the customer has enabled Automatic
System Updates, and has SYNC 3 connected to Wi-Fi, the system is designed to periodically check for
updates and download the update in the background. A Wi-Fi signal strength of 3 or 4 bars (full strength)
with reliable internet service will typically allow SYNC 3 to download the update within a one month
timeframe. SYNC 3 is designed to perform the update as long as Wi-Fi is connected prior to the vehicle
turning off; therefore there is no need to keep the vehicle running for the update to take place. If the
customer wishes to install the new software without Wi-Fi or on-demand, they can download the update
from Owner.Ford.com or Owner.Lincoln.com and install with a USB drive.
2016 model year vehicles require a Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub part upgrade to be compatible with Apple CarPlay. This part upgrade is not a warranty repair per the Warranty & Policy Manual, Section 3, Warranty Coverages – SYNC. The Suggested Retail Price for the Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub ranges from $63.06-$71.06. In addition, an update for 2017 model year Ford and Lincoln vehicles and 2016 model year vehicles with SYNC 2.0 software is available only through the Dealership Diagnostic Tool to correct multiple conditions related to GPS and SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link. Please use a 32GB USB Drive with exFAT formatting for all SYNC 3 updates. More details are available on PTS. DEALER SOFTWARE UPDATE AND HARDWARE UPGRADE PROCESS.
Technicians should follow the below process to complete the SYNC 3 software update and the hardware
upgrade for Apple CarPlay functionality on 2016 model year vehicles. More details are available on PTS.
1. Update SYNC 3 Software (if required):
a. The SYNC 3 software version can be verified on the SYNC 3 touchscreen by selecting the
Settings icon in the bottom Feature Bar, Touch Settings > General > Scroll down to About
SYNC or it can verified in OASIS by selecting the SYNC tab from the OASIS home page..
b. If the SYNC 3 system software version is 1.0 or 1.1, update to version 2.2 using Workshop
Manual (WSM) Section 415-00.
c. If the SYNC 3 system software is at version 2.0 or higher, no software update is required.
Note: The SYNC 3 system software must be at version v2.0 or later for Apple CarPlay to
function and the software update must be completed prior to the Media Hub/Universal Serial
Bus (USB) hub replacement.
2. Upgrade the SYNC 3 Hardware for Apple CarPlay functionality:
a. The Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub must be replaced with the Apple CarPlay
compatible Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub. Refer to the Ford Catalog Advantage
(FCA) for the latest Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub part numbers that support the
Apple CarPlay upgrade. No hardware upgrade is necessary for Android Auto functionality.
b. Follow Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 415-00 Removal and Installation procedure for the
Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub. Remove and discard original equipment and
replace with the new Media Hub/Universal Serial Bus (USB) hub identified.
QUESTIONS
 Owners contact:
o Ford Customer Relationship Center Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (EDT).
 800-392-FORD (3673)
 800-232-5952 (TDD for the hearing impaired)
 Once connected, follow the voice prompts for SYNC by selecting #1, then #3,
then #1
o Lincoln Concierge Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (EDT).
 800-521-4140
 800-232-5952 (TDD for the hearing impaired)
 Once connected, follow the voice prompts for SYNC by selecting #1, then #4,
then #1
 Tech Bytes QuickTip SYNC 3: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
* Android Auto is compatible with Android smartphones running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher. Apple CarPlay is
compatible with Apple iPhone 5 or newer running iOS 7.1 or higher (updating to the latest version of iOS
is recommended). Most core features require a data plan or are enhanced by a data connection.
Edited by KCFordTruckPro

My phone, as well as most newer phones, have 'turbo charging' capabilities. Does the upgraded usb allow that? Using gps for Android Auto really sucks up my battery

The current USB ports are "smart charging" so they're able to recognize the load required to charge a tablet versus a phone. If I recall, the output of the two USB ports is also different on each port. As far as I know, the updated USB interface is really no different other than being Apple Certified. Most cables or outlets that have MFI certification have a chip in the cable or port.

I think this might change with the updates I listed in the notification from Ford. After we install my new hub and do the software update I'll let you know what I find. My hub has been malfunctioning for about 3 months. It's the main reason I started watching this thread to see what issues others have had.

Hey everyone. I'm a Ford dealer out of Kansas City and I've been following this thread for quite a while and created an account today.

I didn't see it here, but yesterday there was an official Ford message regarding the upgrade making Apple CarPlay possible.

I ordered the part yesterday and it arrived today. We're updating my company vehicle tomorrow morning.

If you have any questions regarding the upgrade, feel free to shoot me a message or reply to this one here.

HAHA! Welcome, and glad to have you. Thanks for confirming what some of us did and have had working for 5+ months with help from various people on this forum including myself. Nothing Personal, but I have done more of these installs myself or assisted others than most of your Techs will do in the next year. Again, Welcome and glad to have you, but you are VERY late to the Party. Where were you when we were all asking why hasn't Ford made an announcement, on something they promised by the end of 2016, yet they just released it 5 months later than promised.

My phone, as well as most newer phones, have 'turbo charging' capabilities. Does the upgraded usb allow that? Using gps for Android Auto really sucks up my battery

"Turbo Charging" is a manufacturer thing, and there is no official standard for it. In general though, a USB port capable of over 3.0A will trigger "turbo" in some manufacturers phones. It is a hardware thing, not software. No update to Sync is going to affect this. Only a Firmware update to the hub(if possible), if the internal actual circuits are capable.

Welp, smart charging is busted, i get no turbo charge notification & my phone gradually looses a charge when plugged in. AA only works on the lower port & i get no difference in charging between the two

Something is wrong with your hub, or if you replaced it, maybe how it was installed. There is no difference in the ports as far as connectivity or Charging capability. How do I know this, because I tested them with a USB power tester. The hub is capable of a shared 2.8A from my testing, which is normal for most. Basically it is probably certified at 2.4A, and most hardware factors a little +, so it can actually serve up 2.8A.. You can get up to 2.8 on 1 port or any combo between the 2 totaling 2.8. My iPhone 7 typically draws about 1.6A when it is charging, even if it is the only thing plugged in, and that is true on most chargers, not just the car.

Your hub has 2 connectors on it, one is for Data to the Radio, and the other is power. Maybe the power didn't get reconnected, or not completely seated, or damaged.

I think this might change with the updates I listed in the notification from Ford. After we install my new hub and do the software update I'll let you know what I find. My hub has been malfunctioning for about 3 months. It's the main reason I started watching this thread to see what issues others have had.

Then your hub needs to be replaced, as you are doing as part of your update. The software would not fix the problem.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr

I think you're mis-understanding what i said. The phone recognizes that it's charging on the port, but not the 'turbo charging'. When using the GPS, the phone uses more power than what is being given to it, hence not 'turbo charging'. It will charge the phone, but at a very slow rate & if i start using the phone, it can't keep up & slowly looses a charge. Granted, it's a slower discharge than not plugging it in, but still won't fully power the phone.

The only function that I've seen able to withstand the load is a 'turbo charge' which this hub doesn't do. I understand that there really isn't a standard, but the only solution I've found was to buy a 3rd party car charger,but if i use that, i lose Android Auto, which kinda defeats the purpose. It's a minor concern, as we don't travel much, but might be more a concern for other people who would use this all the time

WHEN I TRY TO DOWNLOAD SYNC 2.2 ON THE OWNER.FORD.COM SITE I get a message "System Error This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try later or contact us."

I have had the same problem using 3 different browsers and 2 Apple computers. A SYNC agent escalated the problem several days ago. "The case number is CAS-12213792. Someone will reach out to you once this is corrected."

Do the Ford dealers charge to upgrade SYNC?

Is each SYNC version unique to the VIN?

Any ideas on how I can get the v2.2 file?

Have you had any luck?

I think you're mis-understanding what i said. The phone recognizes that it's charging on the port, but not the 'turbo charging'. When using the GPS, the phone uses more power than what is being given to it, hence not 'turbo charging'. It will charge the phone, but at a very slow rate & if i start using the phone, it can't keep up & slowly looses a charge. Granted, it's a slower discharge than not plugging it in, but still won't fully power the phone.

The only function that I've seen able to withstand the load is a 'turbo charge' which this hub doesn't do. I understand that there really isn't a standard, but the only solution I've found was to buy a 3rd party car charger,but if i use that, i lose Android Auto, which kinda defeats the purpose. It's a minor concern, as we don't travel much, but might be more a concern for other people who would use this all the time

No, YOU are missing my POINT. There is SOMETHING wrong with your hub. If you replaced it, then I suggest you pull it and check the power connector, if it is factory, you need to go to the dealer. There is NO way just running your GPS would pull more than 2.8A out of your phone, which is what would have to happen for your phone battery to lose power while connected. The fact that you said only one port works for AA, and that one port charges faster than the other tells me you have an issue also. Now this is all based on the fact that your phone is OK, and you don't have some other thing on your phone already drawing your battery down. That still would not explain the one port only working for AA. I routinely stream Pandora, while using Maps on my iPhone 7 connected to CarPlay, and my phone will gain 20-25% in my 30 minute drive home from work. This is all with my Dash Command working in the background and switching to it on the phone to look at stuff. I have heard NO others with Android phones saying the charging doesn't keep up when using AA. I have heard of connectivity and feature issues(Another Thread), but not power issues.

I never said 1 port charges & the other doesn't. They both charge, just not the 'turbo charge'. I've seen several phones/chargers throughout the years not be able to keep up with maps using the GPS,(S4, S5, Droid Turbo just to name a few). Only phones/chargers that can keep up are 'turbo charge' capable. Highly doubt it's my phone as it's fine when using a charger with 'turbo charge'

The hub is OEM & hasn't been touched as i have android phones & no need to update/swap. My original question was if i upgraded the hub, if it was 'turbo charge' capable. Maybe I'm confusing the install with using AA. Somewhere i read that you could only use the lower port, maybe that was just for installing. I haven't confirmed if the upper port works with AA or not.

I will pay more attention to the charging aspect over the next few days as we're on a trip & have noticed these things while on short trips.

Prior to AA, using my GPS, with say the Waze app, i would gradually loose a charge if i continued to use it while plugged into the OEM hub. Now, if i use a 3rd party 'turbo charge' charger, i have no issues & will charge the phone to full while using Waze & my GPS,if my phone isn't already at 100%.

Edited by lildisco