SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Not trying to start a pissing contest here but no 2016 Ford left the factory with CarPlay enabled. That started with the 2017 model year with the Escape being the first followed by the Fusion. I believe Ford disabled CarPlay on some models with 2.0 as it wasn't supposed to be rolled out on the 2016's due to the media hub availbility. I believe that is the differences we are seeing. I know on mine and others I have dealt with that 2.0 and the correct hub is required for CarPlay. That is strange that a 2017 did not come with it enabled from the factory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/01/04/carplay-ford-2016-2017/amp/?client=safari

Also, REALLY not trying to start one either. I am going by in person hands on experience, not some article. Several 2017's including an Explorer had 2.0 and CarPlay did not work, until I upgraded it to 2.2. So, All I can say, not ALL 2.0's will work with just the hub upgraded across the Ford Model lines, and not ALL 2016's need the hub replaced, just the install for 2.2 for CP to work.

Bottom line, the upgrade to 2.2 is free, and requires no money to do. It also does not require taking hardware apart. It is worth a try, and costs nothing other than a little time. There are other features gained by the update. The improved voice prompts is by far the best thing.

Got my system updated to 2.2 no problem - unfortunately CarPlay did not appear. I'll reorder the hub tomorrow!

You plug your phone in via USB? It didn't show up on my wife's Expy until I plugged my phone in the first time.

It was worth a try. So it appears when the Edges are involved, no 2016's had the upgraded hub. That does not hold true for other 2016 Fords.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr

You plug your phone in via USB? It didn't show up on my wife's Expy until I plugged m phone in the first time.

It was worth a try. So it appears when the Edges are involved, no 2016's had the upgraded hub. That does not hold true for other 2016 Fords.

Yes I plugged it in, phone was recognized. Some Applink apps popped up, no sign of CarPlay though unfortunately. No big deal, I'll get the hub installed.

This is my first Ford, how long do you expect they'll continue to release updated software for the Sync3 system? I'm a big Tesla fan - especially of the way they continually update the software in the car, and I'm thrilled that I was able to update my new Edge (silly that it wasn't OTA, but w.e.)

Did you have carplay running on the phone?

I don't understand the question. It's my understanding that CarPlay is not really an app on your phone, and that there really isn't anything to run. It runs on the car end, mirroring some of the content from your phone.

I believe all I need to do is plug in the phone and the CarPlay logo will appear as an option within Sync (once enabled). I didn't even get the option to enable it - so I'm pretty sure I don't have the right hub.

• Like 1

I don't understand the question. It's my understanding that CarPlay is not really an app on your phone, and that there really isn't anything to run. It runs on the car end, mirroring some of the content from your phone.

I believe all I need to do is plug in the phone and the CarPlay logo will appear as an option within Sync (once enabled). I didn't even get the option to enable it - so I'm pretty sure I don't have the right hub.

Sorry I thought I had read that somewhere. You do need to have Siri turned on.

You are correct, nothing to turn on. Need to be running iOS 10, and plug your phone in. It will come up and pair with the car.

I'm still on v1. When is Ford going to release either 2.0 or 2.2 officially?

Technically they HAVE been. Just not for upgrade OTA on our cars. 2.0 came on late 2016, and as we discovered, no CarPlay certified Hub. If I was to guess, any 2017 coming off the line now has 2.2, and we already know they have CarPlay certified hubs. There was one Edge owner on here who got his update to 2.2 OTA, but he appears to be an exception. Several Lincolns are getting the update OTA.

You can wait for Ford, or just download the file and install it. If you want CarPlay to work though you will need to replace the hub.

HC3Z-19A387-B - Ford (blue lights) Heard it's on back-order for awhile

GJ7Z-19A387-B - Lincoln (white lights) Available now to order

Both hubs will work, only difference is the color of the LED rings.

I can confirm that the Ford part is on backorder from Walt Sweeney until mid February. I switched my order to the Lincoln part which was in stock.

Edited by HoratioDUKEz

I ordered from them and was initially told mid February also but got an email,saying it was shipping this week. Blue hub ( Ford part )

The color difference is so small, and it is in a panel that stay closed most of the time(atleast for me) that it is not worth sweating over. Did the Lincoln part and don't regret it at all.

So I can't really find what exactly I am looking for. My question is I have a 16 edge with 1.0 that I updated to 1.1. I just want android auto to work. I could care less on apple car play. Are there any instructions on where to download it the software to add 2.0? If I need to order a new hub can someone send me a link to maybe an ebay hub that would work. Someone please help!

So I can't really find what exactly I am looking for. My question is I have a 16 edge with 1.0 that I updated to 1.1. I just want android auto to work. I could care less on apple car play. Are there any instructions on where to download it the software to add 2.0? If I need to order a new hub can someone send me a link to maybe an ebay hub that would work. Someone please help!

Actually, what you are asking has been answered a couple of times, but I completely understand not wanting to read all 13 pages...

You do not need to swap out your hub, you just need to update to 2.2:

Here is the update if you have Nav:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxlap1Uv4Q55NnhBMjdEaUtfZms/view?usp=sharing

Here is the update if you don't have Nav:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxlap1Uv4Q55NGRBaHBDTTJsYU0

• Like 4

You have an Edge? What year? Not aware of any Edges that are getting the 2.2 update via Wifi...

Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't have notifications turned on.

Mine is a 2016. Delivered in Sept through Donlen. It was pretty simple really. Connected Sync 3 to the hotspot on my phone and installed it. Perhaps it worked because it was connected via usb to my iPhone? Just to clarify as 27Sport stated, "Sync 3 v2.0 only needs the certified hub for Apple Car Play." Even though I have v2.2, I still need the hub. Even though mine was later in the production run, I'm assuming they didn't have enough Car Play Hubs to install it from factory. So I'll be spending the $60 to get it.

I'm not really happy with the Sync 3 overall though. Spotify rarely works correctly (even with update). Ford Pass doesn't work so I'm not able to see My Vehicle Health Setup or any other feature for that matter. Even performed a Master Reset....