SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Did that. thank you.

UPDATE: Well, using the same flash drive, no changes, went out again and tried it and the update took. Not sure why but I guess the stars were all aligned correctly this evening. Oh well, on to the next crisis. Thanks everyone for their assistance. Appreciate this forum.

Edited by RetiredgE
  • Like 1

I followed the steps Rocketboots had, right down to using an older drive. I had SYNC 3 v.1.0 with Nav, in a 2016 Edge Titanium built in spring 2016. I can't take credit for the steps, but I will break it down:

I used a USB stick of 4gb, an older Sandisk, USB 2. Because I wanted to also do a FULL format, I did not want to use a 16gb or larger USB - formatting would take forever. Since the current hub is USB 2.0, I wanted to use a USB 2.0 stick and not a USB 3 stick - just for maximum chance of compatibility.

1) Format the flash drive using the FULL (uncheck quick)

2) Unzip the file onto the flash drive. The file I downloaded had a zip inside the zip, and it was the inner zip file I expanded to the USB stick. When it was done I had two things on the root of the USB stick "autoinstall.lst" and a folder "SyncMyRide". "SyncMyRide" has 4 files in it, all with the extension ".tar.gz"

3) Before starting the Edge, I removed my music USB drive, and my Lightning cable.

4) Started the Edge, waited for the radio to be on, inserted the USB stick. It instantly came up "Updating Software", and then went "indexing" a couple seconds, and then back to "Updating Software"

5) Drove kid to school, headed to breakfast. Listened to radio as normal

6) at about 20 minutes, got "successful update, you can remove the USB stick" - and I removed the stick.

7) Parked, turned off Edge, Opened door until radio fully shutdown (dash was still on) - and shut door. Radio came back to FORD Blue Oval screen once or twice in the first minute or so. Waited about 3 more minutes

8) Started car. A little slower boot up for the screen. Watched the map loading for at least 10 minutes. - had time to read forum and Rocketboots post about another reboot.

9) Shutoff car, opened door, waited a few seconds, closed door. Waited a minute or so.

10) Started car, map was up in about 10 seconds.

11) Ran the car for at least 5 minutes with Nav up and normal functions, and then reinserted my music USB drive, and lightning cable.

Car is fine, and all voice commands are working, nav is working. Not crazy about the slightly smaller font. Pandora mobile app is working WAY better than it was on Ver 1.0

Now to decide if I am going to tackle the USB hub switch.

So thanks to the great information in this thread, I was able to easily update to V2.2 this morning. I still, as others have also alluded to, stand by my comments about Ford Customer Service and the lack of updating software that is now 3 iterations on from the V1.0 that came with my new car last year.

I used an older flash drive that I reformatted using the full, not quick, format facility in Windows 10; FAT32. I unplugged USB cables and turned off Bluetooth on my phone just in case. Plugged the drive into the lower port. It instantly came up with a message stating, "Updating Software". After a while the flash drive light was off. I then waited about 20 minutes and a "successful update" message came up. Unplugged the drive, turned off the car, locked it up and went in for a coffee. When I came back out after a few minutes, started the car. As others have seen the "map loading" message kept running. I gave it about 5 minutes, then as recommended here, turned off the car, opened the door, waited for Sync to shut down, closed door, started car and map came up after about 10 seconds. "About" screen shows V2.2. Enabled AA in the car and phone before plugging in the USB cable. It seems to be working OK, although I still have to test the voice control and take it for a drive.

• Like 1

I followed the steps Rocketboots had, right down to using an older drive. I had SYNC 3 v.1.0 with Nav, in a 2016 Edge Titanium built in spring 2016. I can't take credit for the steps, but I will break it down:

I used a USB stick of 4gb, an older Sandisk, USB 2. Because I wanted to also do a FULL format, I did not want to use a 16gb or larger USB - formatting would take forever. Since the current hub is USB 2.0, I wanted to use a USB 2.0 stick and not a USB 3 stick - just for maximum chance of compatibility.

1) Format the flash drive using the FULL (uncheck quick)

2) Unzip the file onto the flash drive. The file I downloaded had a zip inside the zip, and it was the inner zip file I expanded to the USB stick. When it was done I had two things on the root of the USB stick "autoinstall.lst" and a folder "SyncMyRide". "SyncMyRide" has 4 files in it, all with the extension ".tar.gz"

3) Before starting the Edge, I removed my music USB drive, and my Lightning cable.

4) Started the Edge, waited for the radio to be on, inserted the USB stick. It instantly came up "Updating Software", and then went "indexing" a couple seconds, and then back to "Updating Software"

5) Drove kid to school, headed to breakfast. Listened to radio as normal

6) at about 20 minutes, got "successful update, you can remove the USB stick" - and I removed the stick.

7) Parked, turned off Edge, Opened door until radio fully shutdown (dash was still on) - and shut door. Radio came back to FORD Blue Oval screen once or twice in the first minute or so. Waited about 3 more minutes

8) Started car. A little slower boot up for the screen. Watched the map loading for at least 10 minutes. - had time to read forum and Rocketboots post about another reboot.

9) Shutoff car, opened door, waited a few seconds, closed door. Waited a minute or so.

10) Started car, map was up in about 10 seconds.

11) Ran the car for at least 5 minutes with Nav up and normal functions, and then reinserted my music USB drive, and lightning cable.

Car is fine, and all voice commands are working, nav is working. Not crazy about the slightly smaller font. Pandora mobile app is working WAY better than it was on Ver 1.0

Now to decide if I am going to tackle the USB hub switch.

Marty, Great composite of all the steps learned in this thread. Good work. Glad you got it updated.

I liked the Font change personally. Yes, Pandora app does appear to work better.

Thought I would also report this-

Saw where some folks are ordering the part HC3Z-19A387-B online.

I called my dealer in town, and their price was $63.xx for the part as well, and they will have it next day (instead of me paying next day shipping online). It could be because I am in Memphis they get it next day, but if anyone is paying for shipping, you might want to check your local dealer before just ordering it online.

Also, my dealer, pretty good about a lot of things -- but when I inquired of Service about getting the Carplay update, I spent some time on hold and then didn't get much useful info back. I had to direct them to the GSB on it, and in the end, just decided to tackle it myself. On the other hand, my saleslady who I bought my 16 Edge and my 08 Mustang from is the one who told me I should be able to upgrade to Carplay when she was selling my mom a new 17 Escape last week. She was the one at the dealership who started me on this quest.

• Like 2

I really want the AA update. I went to the dealership last Saturday for an oil change and had asked them if it were possible to update my sync to 2.2. All they could do for me was update me to v1.1 (which didn't even show up on my ford owner account...). I bought the car last July and have been waiting eagerly for the AA update as the built in Nav sucks compared to google maps and waze (also built in Nav map data is from 2014-15). I've been hesitant to try and install the update myself as this car is a lease.

-2016 Ford Edge SEL with Nav (came with Ford Sync 3 v1.0)

Edited by jdmisoulis

Picked up the new USB module on the way to lunch and popped it in. Considered taking off side panels, or the chrome strip, which I think would allow the cubby to be removed.

In the end, just worked it with a harbor freight interior panel tool,

Put the transmission in S, ebrake on, turned car off

Used the tool that is smaller, slightly more than 90 degree bend.

Took out the plastrubber tray liner

Inserted tool into th left side middle of hub, slid down to corner, slight pry, and then pull with one hand while using other to hold tool tight against hub.

You gotta pull till it's out. Even when it gets so far you can see the tab on the side, if you release pressure, it goes right back to fully seated.

3rd pull popped it. No damage to old hub, or the mounting hole.

Pull the two cables, plug them in new unit, slight press is all it takes to seat it ( I did test before seating it)

Works! Easy upgrade.

• Like 2

I really want the AA update. I went to the dealership last Saturday for an oil change and had asked them if it were possible to update my sync to 2.2. All they could do for me was update me to v1.1 (which didn't even show up on my ford owner account...). I bought the car last July and have been waiting eagerly for the AA update as the built in Nav sucks compared to google maps and waze (also built in Nav map data is from 2014-15). I've been hesitant to try and install the update myself as this car is a lease.

-2016 Ford Edge SEL with Nav (came with Ford Sync 3 v1.0)

Just download it and do it. Seriously though, Out of the almost 20 or so I have done, not had a single one not come back up. You will be fine.

What is Ford waiting on? Almost mid March and no public release. I haven't heard of a single issue with those that downloaded and installed it.

Only thing I would suggest is a button to exit or enter CarPlay. Right now you need to disconnect the lightning cable from phone

You can also go to CarPlay in Settings and turn it off for your device. I have it active for my phone, and off for my wife's.

I gave up hope on Ford as well finally and updated my sync myself.

Thanks a lot to everyone on this thread. Especially steps from Rocketboots.

No issues so far.

But why do people on this thread say the voice commands have gotten better. I find it chatty still. Even worse, it speaks slower now which is annoying.

Another annoyance is (Android Auto fault), which has no way to hide the huge green icon on the left when navigating. So no way to see full screen map when navigating.

On the plus side, I really love the ability to do "OK google" without having to press any button before.

I, too, bit the bullet and did the upgrade on the way home from work this afternoon. Worked great, exactly 20 minutes and it was done. I waited until I got home to turn the car off and back on.

I didn't wait after turning it off, and that may have caused a slight problem. Navigation went on for about 15 minutes without rebooting and downloading contacts also wouldn't complete.

I then turned the car off, opened the door and shut it, then waiting about 5 minutes. When I restarted the car, the map came right up. Downloading contacts took just seconds.

The biggest pain was getting the file to unzip properly. I couldn't separate the two files needing to be in the root directory from the zip file. I finally got it to work, and everything else went well.

Thanks to all who came before me and educated us on this process.

I just ordered my hub today. 1 month ago my dealer said there weren't any available that he could see but today he said looks like everyone can get one now. The place he ordered it from had over 900 of them. I'd like to think this is a good sign that maybe the update could happen soon. I know wishful thinking. Since I'm very low tech I will need someone to help me with fat32 and zip files. The download thing scares me but if I figure it out my wife might think I'm a nerdy geek. She's easily impressed.

Ok. Got my new hub in. Was able to install it using trim tools without taking apart console. Took all of 5 minutes. I was worried that the HC3Z-19A387-B part I ordered was boxed wrong because the sticker on the part is HC3T-14F014-BC. And the old part sticker number was GC3T-14F014-BB. I did some research and feel it is the right part. I hope I didn't install the same part. Now to learn how to download.

• Like 1

I feel like this thread just went cold. Almost a week and nobody doing the upgrade. Anyways, got brave and did mine. All working fine right now. Will have to learn a few things but all I wanted was a map on my screen. I'm so low tech that if I could do it then anybody should be able to do it. Feels like I'm in a new car again.

• Like 1

I feel like this thread just went cold. Almost a week and nobody doing the upgrade. Anyways, got brave and did mine. All working fine right now. Will have to learn a few things but all I wanted was a map on my screen. I'm so low tech that if I could do it then anybody should be able to do it. Feels like I'm in a new car again.

It happens. Most that are going to do it, already have. Most questions have been answered, so if people read it, they get what they need.

It happens. Most that are going to do it, already have. Most questions have been answered, so if people read it, they get what they need.

I guess you're right. I read all the threads just to get brave enough to do it. And did it without asking questions. I'm use to doing things way late. I'm glad I did it and like how it works. No issues.