SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

Exactly why I'm not going to bother with the upgrade. I wish it was a seamless transition between both interfaces.

There are other advantages to the update. Faster/smoother voice prompts is just one. You can Enable/disable carplay per connected devices. When I connect my phone Carplay is enabled, but it is disabled for my wife's. She hasn't had a chance to play with it, so she does while mine is attached and will eventually enable it for hers...

I have the file for the 2.2 update for NAV. I am wondering if there is a file for the current 1.0 system, just in case I need to downgrade, or if the update bricks my system for some unlucky reason. Did someone post a 1.0 file earlier? I scanned through the 9 pages of posts but didn't see it.

JMR01 can help you get back if you need to, but you won't.

I just pulled mine out and am picking up the new part from the dealer tomorrow. They wanted to charge me $220 to swap out the hubs so I had to at least try and do it myself.

I started by looking at this video

it does a real good job of showing you what pieces to remove. Once you get the silver and side moldings off, remove the curved piece that covers the pass though (where the USB hub back would be). That gives you access to the harness and you can simply release it and push it though....much easier than trying to pry and damaging the trim.
  • Like 1

I just did the 1.0 -> 2.2 with nav update. Everything worked seamlessly. Phew!

I also ordered the Ford part HC3Z-19A387-B instead of the Lincoln part GJ7Z-19A387-B in order to get the blue LED... According to the dealer, the Ford part is on backorder until mid-February. To me, I'd rather have the Ford part, but I'm just picky. It's too bad Apple requires their stupid authentication chip in everything. I'd rather not have spent $60 just to get CarPlay, but oh well.

• Like 1

I've read somewhere that this update is only for Sync 3 version 1.0 to 2.2 and will brick the system if it has version 2.0. I have Sync 3 version 2.0 and would like to know how I can update to 2.2 before the official Ford release.

I did the update on our 2017 Expedition that had 2.0, and the update took it to 2.2 with no issues. The Ex already had a certified hub, so the update to 2.2 gave me CarPlay.

Bonjour y'all.

I upgraded from V1.0 to V2.2 (with Nav.) without any major issues. I used an old (but good quality) USB key, 2GB, formatted it in FAT32 and copied the unzipped files that you guys graciously gave us a link for.

I freed-up all USB ports and unpaired my phone from Sync and simply inserted the USB key. I noticed the led blinking rapidly on the USB key and a message on the screen, something like "downloading files". After about 5 minutes, the led on my key started flashing very slowly (key in sleep mode), so I gave it another 5 minutes and thought there was something not working (I was wrong). Now I don't recommend you guys do what I did after but I'm going to tell you anyway: Being impatient, I removed the USB key, turned the ignition off, opened the door to cut power to the system, re-started the car, got the same message "downloading files", waited a few minutes, re-inserted the key, waited a few minutes, removed the key, did a soft-reset on Sync, which re-launched the system and came back with the same "downloading files" message, re-inserted the USB key and waited a few more minutes. Then I got a message like: "installation successful, updates will be active next time you start the system".

Upon re-start, everything was working fine, except the maps that were taking abnormally long to load, so I did a soft-reset (pressed and held the radio power button and seek forward button until the screen went out). Upon reboot, the maps loaded quickly.

So I would think that the first 5 minutes or so are to download the files from the USB key to Sync and the other 15 minutes are for deployment and installation. You just have to be patient... You can even listen to the radio while it's happening.

Cheers.

Edited by sylvainm

Upgraded to 2.2 a few min ago, took about 15-20 min using a 2.0 USB drive. Pretty cut and dry for me, downloaded file, unzipped to USB drive. Pulled car into drive and left engine running, unplugged USB cable for phone, inserted USB Drive and the update started right away.

Haven't had a chance to play too much but I will say I like:

* addition of cell phone signal strength meter on the top right of the screen.

* Looks like the font size for the exterior temp is larger. (Or my memory is getting bad)

*Ability to reindex a media device on demand. This is a welcome feature and should fix the issue I had posted about last month where after altering the files on my iPhone (redownloading the whole library) they weren't working properly with Sync anymore. I had noticed it occurred again last week when I removed the xmas music from my phone. Up until now it was a full system reset which is a pain, it would force a reindex.

Thanks to all for hosting the files and playing "Guinea Pig" with your cars!!!!!!

Edited by Blastvalve
  • Like 1

Bonjour y'all.

I upgraded from V1.0 to V2.2 (with Nav.) without any major issues. I used an old (but good quality) USB key, 2GB, formatted it in FAT32 and copied the unzipped files that you guys graciously gave us a link for.

I freed-up all USB ports and unpaired my phone from Sync and simply inserted the USB key. I noticed the led blinking rapidly on the USB key and a message on the screen, something like "downloading files". After about 5 minutes, the led on my key started flashing very slowly (key in sleep mode), so I gave it another 5 minutes and thought there was something not working (I was wrong). Now I don't recommend you guy do what I did after but I'm going to tell you anyway: Being impatient, I removed the USB key, turned the ignition off, opened the door to cut power to the system, re-started the car, got the same message "downloading files", waited a few minutes, re-inserted the key, waited a few minutes, removed the key, did a soft-reset on Sync, which re-launched the system and came back with the same "downloading files" message, re-inserted the USB key and waited a few more minutes. Then I got a message like: "installation successful, updates will be active next time you start the system".

Upon re-start, everything was working fine, except the maps that were taking abnormally long to load, so I did a soft-reset (pressed and held the radio power button and seek forward button until the screen went out). Upon reboot, the maps loaded quickly.

So I would think that the first 5 minutes or so are to download the files from the USB key to Sync and the other 15 minutes are for deployment and installation. You just have to be patient... You can even listen to the radio while it's happening.

Cheers.

Glad you did what multiple people have said in the thread not to do. That is remove the USB stick before it tells you to. The issue with the Maps after the update was also covered.

Just for clarity, it does NOT do the update from the flash drive. It copies it, then does it from the internal storage. It actually doesn't finish until the unit is rebooted. It also then needs to reindex and load the Map data, which takes a bit. Sometimes people have to reboot the unit to have Maps return.

Hi there, new to the forum. Just picked up a new '16 Edge SEL yesterday. I mistakenly assumed that we were SOL on CarPlay, but very glad to hear that we can upgrade to it.

I believe I have V2.0 installed because I saw an Android Auto logo in there, but will check in the settings tonight. I assume I don't have the proper USB hub because it's a '16 and I didn't see a CarPlay logo anywhere.

Can someone please confirm which parts I can order and where from. Lot's of different options throughout this thread, some Ford, some Lincoln, and at least 3 different part numbers? Is this correct: HU5Z-19A387-A

Also, assuming I have 2.0, I would like to update to 2.2 - some people above seem to be implying that this can now be done OTA? Can anyone confirm? If not, can I use the 1.0 -> 2.2 file previously linked?

Thanks!

Hi there, new to the forum. Just picked up a new '16 Edge SEL yesterday. I mistakenly assumed that we were SOL on CarPlay, but very glad to hear that we can upgrade to it.

I believe I have V2.0 installed because I saw an Android Auto logo in there, but will check in the settings tonight. I assume I don't have the proper USB hub because it's a '16 and I didn't see a CarPlay logo anywhere.

Can someone please confirm which parts I can order and where from. Lot's of different options throughout this thread, some Ford, some Lincoln, and at least 3 different part numbers? Is this correct: HU5Z-19A387-A

Also, assuming I have 2.0, I would like to update to 2.2 - some people above seem to be implying that this can now be done OTA? Can anyone confirm? If not, can I use the 1.0 -> 2.2 file previously linked?

Thanks!

If your Edge was built after 7/16 it should be 2.0 already. You will only need to swap out the USB hub to get Car Play to work, see page 9 of this thread on how to remove the old one from the backside. It's still kind of a PITA as the 2 rear plugs are rather short and have to be disconnected before removing the hub. Also, when removing the old hub push the tab on the top first while holding it from the front, then push the bottom tab.

HC3Z-19A387-B - Ford (blue lights) Heard it's on back-order for awhile

GJ7Z-19A387-B - Lincoln (white lights) Available now to order

Both hubs will work, only difference is the color of the LED rings.

If your Edge was built after 7/16 it should be 2.0 already. You will only need to swap out the USB hub to get Car Play to work, see page 9 of this thread on how to remove the old one from the backside. It's still kind of a PITA as the 2 rear plugs are rather short and have to be disconnected before removing the hub. Also, when removing the old hub push the tab on the top first while holding it from the front, then push the bottom tab.

HC3Z-19A387-B - Ford (blue lights) Heard it's on back-order for awhile

GJ7Z-19A387-B - Lincoln (white lights) Available now to order

Both hubs will work, only difference is the color of the LED rings.

I can confirm that I am running 2.0 - anywhere to see 2.2 release notes to see if it's worth the hassle?

I just placed a Walt Sweeney order for the Ford version of the HUB. It appears to be in stock, if not I'll get the Lincoln version.

Thanks for the help!

I can confirm that I am running 2.0 - anywhere to see 2.2 release notes to see if it's worth the hassle?

I just placed a Walt Sweeney order for the Ford version of the HUB. It appears to be in stock, if not I'll get the Lincoln version.

Thanks for the help!

Car Play is NOT active in 2.0 Even with the correct Apple certified Hub. 2.0 gives you Android Auto. 2.2 Gives you Car Play. If you have 2.0 you most likely do not need the hub, just the upgrade to 2.2. Give the upgrade a try before purchasing the Hub. I have helped 20+ people local, and several not local to me on various Ford vehicles get Car Play working. Only had one that had 2.0 that CarPlay did not work after the upgrade to 2.2. Found out from the owner that the radio had been replaced under warranty, so it could have been taken to 2.0 without actually having the newest hub hardware. So far, if it has 2.0, and I take it to 2.2 Car Play now works. That includes my wife's 17 Expedition.

I have heard of one 16 Edge getting the update OTA. Maybe others will chime in. I have used the update provided by JMR01 to take MANY 2.0 equipped vehicles to 2.2.

If your Edge was built after 7/16 it should be 2.0 already. You will only need to swap out the USB hub to get Car Play to work

Not true in most cases, at least from my personal experience. If your Ford vehicle has Sync 3, v2.0 it has the Apple Certified hub, and just needs the upgrade to 2.2.

I have heard of one 16 Edge getting the update OTA. Maybe others will chime in. I have used the update provided by JMR01 to take MANY 2.0 equipped vehicles to 2.2.

Not true in most cases, at least from my personal experience. If your Ford vehicle has Sync 3, v2.0 it has the Apple Certified hub, and just needs the upgrade to 2.2.

You are incorrect. My '16 Edge came with v2.0 and I added the new USB hub to enable Car Play, v2.2 is NOT needed. The USB hub to enable Car Play did not come on any '16 Edge, the '17's were the first. My '16 was one of the last built in 10/16 and needed the new hub. Go read the thread on the F150 forum and it states the same for them.

Sync 3 v1.0 and v1.1 needs v2.0 or later + the certified hub for Apple Car Play.

Sync 3 v2.0 only needs the certified hub for Apple Car Play.

Version 2.2 is NOT required for Car Play.

Well hopefully you can all understand my confusion - look at all of this conflicting information! 27Sport, your explanation is what I thought was correct, but I'm going to update to 2.2 tonight just in case Ray is right. Assuming CarPlay doesn't show up, I'll re-place my (now cancelled) Walt Sweeney order for the USB Hub.

I'm not sure when my car was built, is there a place to look that up by the VIN? I know it was at least towards the end since it has 2.0.

Also, I connected to my wifi network and attempted to get the update OTA and it did not say that there was an update available. Creating my flash drive now!

• Like 1

You are incorrect. My '16 Edge came with v2.0 and I added the new USB hub to enable Car Play, v2.2 is NOT needed. The USB hub to enable Car Play did not come on any '16 Edge, the '17's were the first. My '16 was one of the last built in 10/16 and needed the new hub. Go read the thread on the F150 forum and it states the same for them.

Sync 3 v1.0 and v1.1 needs v2.0 or later + the certified hub for Apple Car Play.

Sync 3 v2.0 only needs the certified hub for Apple Car Play.

Version 2.2 is NOT required for Car Play.

So, OK. I am wrong for your 1 car and what you read on the F150 forums. How many have you actually done? I have 20+ Sync 3 installed Fords with my own hands. That ranges from Escapes, Explorers, Fusions, Expeditions, Mustangs, and 1 F150, and 2 Edges. One Edge was mine. It is a 16 and had 1.1. Had to install the Hub, and the update. One edge was a 17, and had 2.0. Car Play was not there. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2, and tada Car Play worked, no hub needed, but did need the software update.

3 Expeditions I did. 1 was my wifes 17, it had 2.0, and needed 2.2 for CarPlay to activate. The 2nd was a late 16, and it also had 2.0 and needed 2.2 for Carplay to activate. It did not need a replacement of the hub. The 3rd was an earlier 16 and was at 1.1 and needed the upgrade to 2.2, and apparently a hub, because AA showed up, but CP would not work. The owner was going to order a 17 hub and hook it up. Haven't heard back from him.

Other than one, every vehicle I have touched that had 2.0, all it needed was the update to 2.2 for CP to work.

So you could be right, that no 16 edge came with a working hub. And there might be different versions of 2.0 running around out there, one with Car Play and one without. I don't believe that is true, and hasn't appeared to be from my testing. Only time will tell.

I think drawing a hard line with years, or Sync versions is not helpful, because of the way Ford does things.

Edited by Ray Heath Jr

Well hopefully you can all understand my confusion - look at all of this conflicting information! 27Sport, your explanation is what I thought was correct, but I'm going to update to 2.2 tonight just in case Ray is right. Assuming CarPlay doesn't show up, I'll re-place my (now cancelled) Walt Sweeney order for the USB Hub.

I'm not sure when my car was built, is there a place to look that up by the VIN? I know it was at least towards the end since it has 2.0.

Also, I connected to my wifi network and attempted to get the update OTA and it did not say that there was an update available. Creating my flash drive now!

HD, Can completely understand your confusion. I don't think it is hard and dry like I mentioned in my reply to 27Sport. Nothing lost right if you try the update first? Save you some money if it does. If it doesn't, you order the hub and install it. Worth a try.

Good Luck!

HD, Can completely understand your confusion. I don't think it is hard and dry like I mentioned in my reply to 27Sport. Nothing lost right if you try the update first? Save you some money if it does. If it doesn't, you order the hub and install it. Worth a try.

Good Luck!

Thanks Ray, yeah, that's the plan, I've got my flash drive all set and ready to go - I'll try the update tonight. Hopefully I don't need to order anything, but when I bought the car I didn't think CarPlay was even an option, so I'm just thrilled that I'll be able to get it one way or the other.

To confirm, have you upgraded '16 model year Fords from 2.0 -> 2.2 and that was all they needed for CarPlay?

Also, any idea where I can see my vehicles build date? EDIT: found it at the bottom of the window sticker, 9/15/16

Edited by HoratioDUKEz

So, OK. I am wrong for your 1 car and what you read on the F150 forums. How many have you actually done? I have 20+ Sync 3 installed Fords with my own hands. That ranges from Escapes, Explorers, Fusions, Expeditions, Mustangs, and 1 F150, and 2 Edges. One Edge was mine. It is a 16 and had 1.1. Had to install the Hub, and the update. One edge was a 17, and had 2.0. Car Play was not there. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2, and tada Car Play worked, no hub needed, but did need the software update.

3 Expeditions I did. 1 was my wifes 17, it had 2.0, and needed 2.2 for CarPlay to activate. The 2nd was a late 16, and it also had 2.0 and needed 2.2 for Carplay to activate. It did not need a replacement of the hub. The 3rd was an earlier 16 and was at 1.1 and needed the upgrade to 2.2, and apparently a hub, because AA showed up, but CP would not work. The owner was going to order a 17 hub and hook it up. Haven't heard back from him.

Other than one, every vehicle I have touched that had 2.0, all it needed was the update to 2.2 for CP to work.

So you could be right, that no 16 edge came with a working hub. And there might be different versions of 2.0 running around out there, one with Car Play and one without. I don't believe that is true, and hasn't appeared to be from my testing. Only time will tell.

I think drawing a hard line with years, or Sync versions is not helpful, because of the way Ford does things.

Not trying to start a pissing contest here but no 2016 Ford left the factory with CarPlay enabled. That started with the 2017 model year with the Escape being the first followed by the Fusion. I believe Ford disabled CarPlay on some models with 2.0 as it wasn't supposed to be rolled out on the 2016's due to the media hub availbility. I believe that is the differences we are seeing. I know on mine and others I have dealt with that 2.0 and the correct hub is required for CarPlay. That is strange that a 2017 did not come with it enabled from the factory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/01/04/carplay-ford-2016-2017/amp/?client=safari

• Like 1