SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

I tried and tried to use the tools to pop out the hub to no avail. Thanks to the info about pulling out the side trim, I was able to pull out trim on both side, pull up the trim for the back shelf, and gained access to the hub. I simply stuck my finger in and found the clip on the bottom of the hub, released that, and then holding the hub halfway out with my other hand, reached in again and popped the top out, sliding the hub out. This technique took less than 30 seconds once I was aware of where all the clips were located. No tools needed. My iPhone flashlight helped me see where everything was. The shelf trim and the side trims popped back into place easily as well. Even though I haven't updated my sync yet to 2.2, I did notice a change. When I selected my iPhone in the audio source, new buttons for Pandora and Spotify appeared on my screen. So already seeing how much better the new hub is.

Oh, and I saw this asked before somewhere, but never saw an answer... is there anywhere to download v. 1.0 of the sync 3 software? I would hate to try installing 2.2 without having a back up of the original system. I did a search for v1.0 online but didn't see it anywhere...

Someone posted some links to the updates earlier in this thread. The zip files contain two updates. Loaded the first update, then cleared the flash drive and copied the second update and loaded it. Carplay is working flawlessly so far.

I have the file for the 2.2 update for NAV. I am wondering if there is a file for the current 1.0 system, just in case I need to downgrade, or if the update bricks my system for some unlucky reason. Did someone post a 1.0 file earlier? I scanned through the 9 pages of posts but didn't see it.

I misunderstood the question. No, i don't think i've seen the file for the previous version.

Ok, so took the risk and updated. Went flawlessly. CarPlay works well. A couple of things I noticed were CarPlay is accessible regardless of what audio choice you are listening to, but in order to play music from your iPhone, you have to select iPhone as the audio source prior to using. This requires going back to sync first if CarPlay is active. True for stored music, Pandora, and Spotify. Also in order to use Sync NAV, CarPlay has to be disabled or unplugged. Disable through CarPlay preferences, but it's easier to unplug. This means no Sync NAV and CarPlay at the same time. At least I haven't figured out how to do this yet. Anyone else?

Ok, so took the risk and updated. Went flawlessly. CarPlay works well. A couple of things I noticed were CarPlay is accessible regardless of what audio choice you are listening to, but in order to play music from your iPhone, you have to select iPhone as the audio source prior to using. This requires going back to sync first if CarPlay is active. True for stored music, Pandora, and Spotify. Also in order to use Sync NAV, CarPlay has to be disabled or unplugged. Disable through CarPlay preferences, but it's easier to unplug. This means no Sync NAV and CarPlay at the same time. At least I haven't figured out how to do this yet. Anyone else?

This is how it's working for me, too. The CarPlay implementation with Sync 3 is a little different than it was on my last car -- a '16 Accord coupe. There, you could listen to music on the iPhone via CarPlay, but still use the built-in navigation without having to rely on Apple's Maps. I like that solution better because the Apple map is so washed out on my screen that I would prefer to use the built in Nav. The only solution is, as you noted, to disable CarPlay or unplug the iPhone. But if you disable CarPlay (and leave the phone plugged in) and want to turn it back on, changing the preference to "Enable" doesn't automatically re-connect CarPlay. You then have to unplug and plug in the phone to get it working again. It's a bit cumbersome.

arghhh, i'm having troubles.

i downloaded the non-nav file from google drive link that was posted upthread. last week i tried using a macbook to unzip the files onto a memory stick. either the memory stick was no good or the mac didn't work. my attempted updates went 45 minutes without completing.

so now i've unpacked my windows box and used a good usb stick. update completed message appeared on the car after almost 20 minutes and then 15 minutes for part two. thought i was good to go but my sync info still says version 1.0. i restarted the car a couple of times but no go. what do i need to do now? just wait? if i do a master reset, will that erase the update and take me back to v1.0 (even though that's what the info says i have.)

anyone have any ideas?

[edit] never mind. went back after dinner and it said 2.2. i'm guessing that the system must be doing something in the background that takes a while.

woohoo! all is good. i can't wait to use this, it looks fantastic. thanks so much for posting these update files. i can't believe that ford is not living up to their word by delivering this in 2016. okay, they still have 5 days but...

Edited by ben senise

Thanks to everyone for letting me stalk the thread. I have a 2016 Edge that had Sync 3 v. 1.1 installed by the dealership. I was able to upgrade to v. 2.2 w/ navigation without issue. The update required 1 additional restart of Sync and took about 15 minutes. It took a few days for me to get the USB hub, but I was able to get it installed this morning without issue. Tips learned in the process - 1) Sync 3 and Pandora (at least with my iPhone 6s) didn't play well together outside of CarPlay. 2) You need a small tool shaped like a hook to get the USB hub out of the console (at least 1 version is listed in prior comments). 3) The USB flash drive needs to be formatted by a windows computer, but the software can be loaded from a MacBook. 4) In the short time I've had CarPlay, it was worth the upgrade. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to this thread; you've given me an awesome Christmas present!

Edited by RickA

Thanks to everyone for letting me stalk the thread. I have a 2016 Edge that had Sync 3 v. 1.1 installed by the dealership. I was able to upgrade to v. 2.2 w/ navigation without issue. The update required 1 additional restart of Sync and took about 15 minutes. It took a few days for me to get the USB hub, but I was able to get it installed this morning without issue. Tips learned in the process - 1) Sync 3 and Pandora (at least with my iPhone 6s) didn't play well together outside of CarPlay. 2) You need a small tool shaped like a hook to get the USB hub out of the console (at least 1 version is listed in prior comments). 3) The USB flash drive needs to be formatted by a windows computer, but the software can be loaded from a MacBook. 4) In the short time I've had CarPlay, it was worth the upgrade. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to this thread; you've given me an awesome Christmas present!

Congrats RickA on joining the CarPlay revolution ahead of the curve. ;-) One software install tidbit related to No. 3. I was able to format the flash drive I used to install V2.2/Nav using my MacBook Pro. (I mention this in case any Mac users are checking the thread.) I used Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) and formatted it as ExFat, which was one of the formatting options. In case the info is useful to others....

• Like 1

Congrats RickA on joining the CarPlay revolution ahead of the curve. ;-) One software install tidbit related to No. 3. I was able to format the flash drive I used to install V2.2/Nav using my MacBook Pro. (I mention this in case any Mac users are checking the thread.) I used Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) and formatted it as ExFat, which was one of the formatting options. In case the info is useful to others....

I tried formatting the flash drive using ExFat on my MacBook Pro, but my car would not read/could not see the flash drive. Formatting the flash drive from a windows computer solved the problem. Since formatting on a Mac worked for you, it seems there may have been something else causing an issue on my end that reformatting via windows resolved.

Driving around Tampa today with CarPlay was fun. However, I almost became one of those distracted driver statistics that CarPlay was designed to prevent (too much fun trying out all the new functions).

Thank you for posting the update files. Formatted my 16GB Sandisk 2.0 Flash Drive to Fat32 on a windows machine, downloaded and extracted the zip(with Nav) on my MacPro and copied the files over. Plug in and the update did it's thing. All is working well. As with others, right now the built in Nav doesn't seem to be working. No error code, just a button that doesn't do anything. Not a huge deal for me, I never really cared for the built in Nav anyway. Thank you again!

Worked like a champ on my 2016 Titanium. No issues whatsoever. I was surprised that it found the drive and started installing as soon as I plugged it in. I expected to have to spoon feed it. Thanks very much!! My built in Nav was just spinning until I shut off and restarted the vehicle, then it worked fine.

Edited by Hueydude

Just called Ford Corporate and they couldn't give a date for the software release. Just that I would be notified .

Ridiculous

Good afternoon all. Just have a quick question. The version that was released on here a couple of weeks ago...how does that differ from what Ford keeps delaying?

I installed it. Its good. Not a huge fan of it being an either Android or Sync situation, but I guess that's the deal. It would be nice to have my radio information available while in Android Auto. A quick Sync home button would be nice.

Exactly why I'm not going to bother with the upgrade. I wish it was a seamless transition between both interfaces.

does the radio info not show on the right side display of your instrument cluster? i see music info while playing off my usb stick there while using google maps on the large center display.

I don't really ever drive this by myself. Kinda useless to have me be the only one to see the radio info.

Installed the update via wifi on my late model 2016 Edge Titanium

(v2 non-CarPlay) yesterday. Everything about it sucks. Not a fan at all: constant Bluetooth disconnects, doesn't recognize my iPhone, Spotify is even worse (never has worked good), FordPass doesn't work, and even performed a master reset. It is worse now than when I got it a couple months ago. Anyone else having this issue? Should it really take 5 minutes for it recognize my phone when plugging it in? Needless to say I'm not happy.

Installed the update via wifi on my late model 2016 Edge Titanium

(v2 non-CarPlay) yesterday. Everything about it sucks. Not a fan at all: constant Bluetooth disconnects, doesn't recognize my iPhone, Spotify is even worse (never has worked good), FordPass doesn't work, and even performed a master reset. It is worse now than when I got it a couple months ago. Anyone else having this issue? Should it really take 5 minutes for it recognize my phone when plugging it in? Needless to say I'm not happy.

So you got the update via Wifi? Not by copying the file down and putting it on a flash drive? Did it go to version 2.2? I have had zero issues with disconnects. Don't use Spotify, but Pandora worked good via Sync Apps, and now via Carplay.

• Like 1