Leaving fob in car ??

I'll just add a note, if the fob is left in the car & locked using the keypad, yes it disables the fob, meaning the if someone breaks in, presses the brake pedal & push start button, the can would not run. BUT, if the intruder finds the fob & presses the unlock button on the fob, the fob will work, it will disable the alarm & the car will start.

Ā 

So, as mentioned earlier, it will not drain your batteries (car's of fob's), but it is a security risk. You either should really hide the fob or you can remove the battery from the fob to render it inoperable, though you would still be able to start the car after inserting the battery-less fob in the backup slot in the center console.

• Like 1

I'll just add a note, if the fob is left in the car & locked using the keypad, yes it disables the fob, meaning the if someone breaks in, presses the brake pedal & push start button, the can would not run. BUT, if the intruder finds the fob & presses the unlock button on the fob, the fob will work, it will disable the alarm & the car will start.

I'm gonna test this theory and have my son go in through the window

• Like 1

I'm gonna test this theory and have my son go in through the window

An easier way to test, leave the window open and work through it. Sit inside and lock using the keypad then test.

Ā 

Edit: note you have a 2015/2016 Edge, mine is a 2011. So they might work differently, but good to know how it will work.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

Ā 

Those sources aren't referring to Ford's system that disables the fob in the car once the vehicle is locked.

Ā 

Besides that, the system in the Edge is not an "active" system. It doesn't constantly look for the fob, it only looks for the fob when you touch one of the door handles.

Edited by Waldo

I just tried all kinds of scenarios. If the fob is in the car it will start. I locked myself in,had my wife key pad lock me in,used the fob to lock me in. Car always starts. I even tried it while I wasn't sitting in the seat, thinking that it may know someone was in the car when it was locked. I wouldn't leave the key locked on the vehicle. I have a 2016.

I just tried all kinds of scenarios. If the fob is in the car it will start. I locked myself in,had my wife key pad lock me in,used the fob to lock me in. Car always starts. I even tried it while I wasn't sitting in the seat, thinking that it may know someone was in the car when it was locked. I wouldn't leave the key locked on the vehicle. I have a 2016.

How long did you wait after locking? I think it takes some time before the alarm is enabled & fob is disabled. Also, it might be different being a 2015+.

Only a few seconds.

This is from the 2011 Owners Manual, not sure it still applies, but you can try:

Ā 

When fully armed (after the 20 second pre-arm mode), any IA keys found inside the vehicle are disabled/inoperable and will not start the engine. Press button to re-enable them.

Ā 

That is strange. Your MKX is a 2009, right? It has a normal key, nothing being broadcasted.

Sorry, should have bee clearer, I had a 2016 MKX for a few days (as a loaner). Yes, my 09 has the standard FOB.

Ā 

Actually, I prefer the "old fashioned" key. I found the IA to be a bit bulky. Also, it refused to start the car once, even though it was in my pocket. Car said there was no IA present in the car. (?)

Ā 

One other area I had trouble with was locking the car. I ended up locking the cat by pressing the FOB each time, probably don't know how to do properly.

• 3 months later...

One of the things I loved about my old Edge and Mariner was being able to leave keys in the car and lock it so I don't have to carry keys around at a ball game or while I'm floating on the river. I was hoping to leave keys in car while at airport but it appears like this is a dicey scenario, at least to test it out. I guess I'll just have to lug them around Europe for 2 weeks.

Edited by Mirage52
  • Like 1

One of the things I loved about my old Edge and Mariner was being able to leave keys in the car and lock it so I don't have to carry keys around at a ball game or while I'm floating on the river. I was hoping to leave keys in car while at airport but it appears like this is a dicey scenario, at least to test it out. I guess I'll just have to lug them around Europe for 2 weeks.

There is no problem leaving an IA key fob in the vehicle & locking/unlocking via the keypad. The only security risk is if the intruder finds were the fob is & presses the unlock key which is the same risk if the found the key of a regular ignition vehicle.

This topic is great. I could not pick up my 2014 Edge at the dealers so he told me he would leave the fob under the seat and lock the car.

After I hung up I said hey that wont work and I was worried someone would find the car unlocked and go for a joy ride. Well when I picked

up the car it was locked and had to use the keypad to get in and have been scraching my head saying how did he do that and read this topic

and got my answer.

Ā 

Thank you all very much.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...