Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

Special K & I are working R&D with BNR to come up with better performing bolt on turbos.

BNR has many years of EcoBoost turbo development and is willing to take this on.

However, they require a left & right turbo donation.

Pricing & availability will come after the R&D process.

2016 Edge Sport 2.7 Turbo Info:

Left p/n: FT406K682G

Right p/n: FT406K682F

Cross Models:

2015-2018 - Edge Sport

2017 & 2018 - Fusion, Continental & MKX

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on turbos:

stock is 33mm cold side and 46mm hot side

New turbo will have a billet wheel with 40mm cold side and 53mm hotside and a more aggressive hotside pitch (to be determined).

Our goal is 22psi to redline without being a hair dryer!

Also, having turbo blankets made to cut down on engine bay temps

Till next update!

• Like 1

As a future project, maybe you could see if the turbos get enough oil for lubrication/cooling. The 3.5s definitely benefit from slightly larger oil feed orifices.

The longterm jury is out on this product for the 3.5, but so far so good. Did need to retune after installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3-5L-EcoBoost-Performance-Upgrade-Billet-Wheel-Set-Taurus-SHO-Flex-2010/122459970729

• Like 2

As a future project, maybe you could see if the turbos get enough oil for lubrication/cooling. The 3.5s definitely benefit from slightly larger oil feed orifices.

The longterm jury is out on this product for the 3.5, but so far so good. Did need to retune after installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3-5L-EcoBoost-Performance-Upgrade-Billet-Wheel-Set-Taurus-SHO-Flex-2010/122459970729

The machinist I'm using specializes in turbos, and I have asked him to look at all weaknesses including cooling and oil. He said they all look good so far.

Ironically these turbos are going to be bigger than the 3.5L aftermarket ones XD. will see full boost by 2500 so that's good.

• Like 1

I would ask him anyway to look into the ability to enlarge the oil feed. See what the scope is should the need arise. Maybe Ford already put in a bigger feed than they use on the 3.5s, IDK. That would be a GOOD thing :)

I think this is still the most significant power adder to date re turbos for the 3.5. Just something to compare

Stock Turbine
-Wheel Inducer: 40mm
-Wheel Exducer: 34.5mm

Stock Compressor
-Wheel Inducer: 36.3mm
-Wheel Exducer: 49mm

Upgraded +2 Turbine
-Wheel Inducer: 50mm
-Wheel Exducer: 43.5mm
-Range: New Series Garrett GT Journal Bearing

Upgraded +2 Compressor
-Wheel Inducer: 43.4mm
-Wheel Exducer: 56mm
-Range: New Series Garrett GT Journal Bearing

Twin turbo upgrade, direct bolt-on stock location. +2 size Garrett flows 200-250HP more than stock turbos. Remachined stock end housings. All new Garrett CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly). Core exchange required.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

Any update on the turbos. Do you have them back from the rebuild yet ? A killer kit of turbos I C and cold pipe I cant wait...an awesome power combo .

I quoted the most recent update that occurred 3 days ago Xtra. We are hoping to have them back in a month or so!

Also, Xtra I hope your looking at braking solutions soon cause a 450awhp 4400lb machine is going to take a lot to stop....

Update on turbos:

stock is 33mm cold side and 46mm hot side

New turbo will have a billet wheel with 40mm cold side and 53mm hotside and a more aggressive hotside pitch (to be determined).

Our goal is 22psi to redline without being a hair dryer!

Also, having turbo blankets made to cut down on engine bay temps

Till next update!

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

Also, Xtra I hope your looking at braking solutions soon cause a 450awhp 4400lb machine is going to take a lot to stop....

Have that covered with a Rotora big brake kit already installed on the front and back. 6 piston 15 inch fronts and 14 inch 4 piston rears . Roots57 and I both have this setup but his are slotted and mine are drilled rotors B) . post-46130-0-48149200-1520890659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I guess your not putting the power down that Leo and Chris are, cause they are/were hopping along like peter cottontail

proper preparation and proper technique goes a long way, air down tires to 25psi and roll in from 75% throttle at 3rd yellow and no wheel hop or shudder.

What's the plan for wheel hop?

lower tire psi, and delayed boost in 1st

Edited by Special_K

If i've got a leaking turbo seal, someone better sell me those better turbos, K?

He is buttoning up the prototypes and will sending them in a few weeks. will keep you updated.

On a disappointing note, Torrie from unleashed has yet to reply to any of my emails so we maybe stuck finding a different tuner :-/

• Like 2

Think you will need race tire as opposed to lower PSI, I tried as low as 24 psi. Hop at start and hop going into 2nd gear.

idk what to tell you, we haven't had an issue yet, once we do we will address it.

I run 11.1 in my audi S4 and have close to no wheel hop, just 1st for a half a second then I'm gone. just chirps with every shift till 3rd.......

​Snmjim hasn't had wheel hop either. each time we have ran on a freshly prepared track with about 5-10 cars ahead of us

• Like 1