Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

To offically beat the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo​ we need to do better than the following:

Alpha:

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec
Top speed: 177 mph

EPA FUEL ECONOMY:
Combined/city/highway: 19/17/23 mpg

Edge:

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec
Top speed: 135 mph (gov.)

EPA FUEL ECONOMY:
Combined/city/highway: 20/17/24 mpg

I don't see why we couldn't do it :-)

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

To offically beat the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo​ we need to do better than the following:

Alpha:

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):

Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec

Top speed: 177 mph

EPA FUEL ECONOMY:

Combined/city/highway: 19/17/23 mpg

Edge:

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):

Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec

Top speed: 135 mph (gov.)

EPA FUEL ECONOMY:

Combined/city/highway: 20/17/24 mpg

I don't see why we couldn't do it :-)

Using the weight / time = Hp calculator, 037 made 437hp on a 100 octane race tune to do that 12.744 @ 108 . I calculated that hp# using 4400lbs for the car and 200lbs for 037. And that is a stock car with just a tune. Now add big Turbos a new intercooler, RMM and cold side pipe along with a custom tune and 100 race gas...I don't see why we couldn't do it either B):rockon: .

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Using the weight / time = Hp calculator, 037 made 437hp on a 100 octane race tune to do that 12.744 @ 108 . I calculated that hp# using 4400lbs for the car and 200lbs for 037. And that is a stock car with just a tune. Now add big Turbos a new intercooler, RMM and cold side pipe along with a custom tune and 100 race gas...I don't see why we couldn't do it either B):rockon: .

$95 for me to take mine to a local shop and get 3 dyno pulls. no a/f or anything, just to see performance. I was pretty disappointed with your dyno results and I really want to see how close I am to LMS numbers from their claims.

• Like 1

If the stelvio 4leaf wasn't so damn expensive, I'd get it. tho maint on that ferrari V6 engine is probably gonna be a nightmare. I've been following the stelvio since concept form

I'm with you. Really happy with the Edge Sport, near a Porsche Cayenne S for 100 large (well, Hudson Bay pesos) less and really comfortable, too. But really, If I had the dough I'd own a Stelvio or a RR Velar in a heartbeat. The Edge is awesome value but how many of you, if offered the Edge Sport, Stelvio or the Velar, all for free, would drive away in the Edge?

I'm with you. Really happy with the Edge Sport, near a Porsche Cayenne S for 100 large (well, Hudson Bay pesos) less and really comfortable, too. But really, If I had the dough I'd own a Stelvio or a RR Velar in a heartbeat. The Edge is awesome value but how many of you, if offered the Edge Sport, Stelvio or the Velar, all for free, would drive away in the Edge?

I'd take the Edge over the range rover. not the stelvio tho

I just purchased a TurboSmart E Boost Street Electronic Boost Management System to go along with the TurboSmart Kompact Duel Port BOV. The E Boost Street is a compact unit that will fit in the dash top storage out of sight until I need to use it. When I pop up the storage it is at fingertip ready and looks like it was designed to go there, close the lid and it disappears. It has complete tune-ability and 2 pre-sets one high boost and one low boost for putting around. Cruze the Boulevard with the low boost setting to save wear and tear, then when you need some power push a button and hold on !! The E Street is good for up to 40 PSI. These two items will let me tune the car to it's full potential safely, protecting the engine from a new phrase I learned "Zoom Zoom Boom!"

Thanks Special_K for the education :salute: .

post-46130-0-26464200-1524766837_thumb.png

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

No the blanket has thermal control " covered". LOL get it ... :lol: Blanket ..Covered...

Ceramic coating is a viable option but I did not go for that.

You, instead, went for... Tucking the turbos in for a nice bed time story. Please give them a kiss goodnight for me!

• Like 1

So the black coating is just paint? I ordered the blankets they will be delivered tomorrow.

Just remember (and anyone else running a turbo blanket) to check them every so often. If they absorb any kind of oil, from turbos or otherwise, they can turn into kindling and burn it down. They are not flammable by themselves, but oil can certainly change that.

I was told something years ago about blankets, so i'll pass the info along and let you guys be the judge. Because the turbos keep heat in, that also means that they are retaining heat after shutdown. With oil cooled turbos this can be a bad thing. it could produce some coking and cause premature wear. running synthetic is recommended to help with that.

On the good side, turbos should spool faster, and obviously under hood temps should be better. I would recommend wrapping the exhaust down to the flex pipes while you're at it. or use some kind of additional heat shielding to dissipate some of the heat from exhaust as well.

BUT... for me, on any kind of aftermarket application, such as xtra, I would absolutely use a blanket. Right now with my stock turbos, I don't think I'll see any measurable gain to justify it. But they sure look awesome!

• Like 2

The stock compressor wheel is a 40/51mm six blade cast aluminum. The new compressor wheel is 44/57mm eleven blade aluminum billet CNC. There was some machining of the compressor housing to make room for the bigger wheel. The new compressor wheel is bigger, lighter, stronger has more blades and will move more air. While on exhaust side the wheel remains stock. The entire moving assembly was trued and balanced, and the rest was completely remanufactured. I can recommend Comp Turbos in Pomona, CA at this point for doing a great job. By the way Pomona Drag Strip is the home of the NHRA Winter Nationals. Now all I have to is get them installed and see what they can do. :rockon:

• Like 2

On 4/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, 037 said:

Waiting for some new records. It's a shame you guys aren't in the Facebook group to share the journey. I copy/paste stuff sometime to keep em in the loop.

It is a shame that the Facebook guys are not here, you should invite them. They are most welcome, post a link for them. I personally don't care for Facebook too snoopy for my taste.

* By snoopy I refer to Mark Zukerburg

Edited by Xtra