Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

If you have a way to measure power or speed, try the 87 v3 or 93 be, either they gave you the wrong tune or the Dyno operators screwed up.

Either way, v3 hauls @$$ and not just in my car.

Can also ask em for a v2. If you have a way to measure boost that can help as well.

V3 93 hits 19 while v3 race hits 21 psi peak.

21 psi on a K03,that's getting close to the limit, good luck with longevity on a k03 trying to push 21psi man. I do not foresee that lasting too long.....

My K04 barely lasted 45K with 22psi as a peak tapering to 14psi at redline...

• Like 1

With my new turbos being able to move more air, the stock throttle body became a choke point. So I just ordered up a BBK 65mm throttle body good for 8 to 12 HP on a otherwise stock 2.7. With my setup it should help a bit more than than that. This is a plug and play unit. Loosen 2 hose clamps and remove 4 easy to get to bolts, swap out the units, plug in the wire harness and you are good to go.

post-46130-0-79816200-1523745422_thumb.jpg

post-46130-0-47746900-1523745443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

With my new turbos being able to move more air, the stock throttle body became a choke point. So I just ordered up a BBK 65mm throttle body good for 8 to 12 HP on a otherwise stock 2.7. With my setup it should help a bit more than than that. This is a plug and play unit. Loosen 2 hose clamps and remove 4 easy to get to bolts, swap out the units, plug in the wire harness and you are good to go.

attachicon.gif 2015-2017 Edge Sport bbk 65mm power-plus throttlebody.jpg

attachicon.gifbbk 2015-2017 Edge Sport 65mm power-plus throttlebody .jpg

any information on if this would do anything for the rest of us with just a tune? I can't imagine we're not getting enough fuel into these engines. Getting more air (and cooler air) seems to be the biggest issue.

any information on if this would do anything for the rest of us with just a tune? I can't imagine we're not getting enough fuel into these engines. Getting more air (and cooler air) seems to be the biggest issue.

They state 8 to 12 hp with no tune on a stock 2.7, I would think that it would be more with a tune, And yes the cost is up there , but no tax and free shipping. You are still looking at $500 bucks, the cost of hot rodding has never been inexpensive.

• Like 1

the cost of hot rodding has never been inexpensive.

You're not kidding there! The unfinished projects in my garage can attest to that.

However.... I tend to look at Dough vs Go

and that's a lot of dough, for a little bit of go. But in a situation such as yours, you can bet your buns I'd be buying one of those. Keep kicking those ferrari's around at the snake!

• Like 1

No wonder you are looking at upgraded Turbos, you aren't getting any power from that tune. I would look into full tune performance before tearing car apart for the turbos.

Dyno needs to read at least 300/400

Using a hp/ speed calculator http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Your 4,400 lb car needs 417.61 hp to get a 12.744 !/4 mile time.

Using a hp/ speed calculator http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Your 4,400 lb car needs 417.61 hp to get a 12.744 !/4 mile time.

Keep in mind, his DA's at race time are wayyy less than what this calculates for. its a 13 second vehicle at sea level. also, those calculators generally are not accurate with anything but n/a vehicles. twin turbos THRIVE on the cool dense air. 50% of us would be into the 12's running -1500da at 45 degrees outside with AWD

If you don't believe me, use the calculator with 1/8 mile times and see the difference. It just does not do well at those calculations. They're just a silly tool that gets you in the ballpark.

Edited by Mikula

Mikula, according to your math the 2 other people racing with me on the same day would have been in the 12s too, except they weren't.

Sounded good in theory, did not work out in practice though. One of the guys was running the same exact tune and fuel setup too.

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

Mikula, according to your math the 2 other people racing with me on the same day would have been in the 12s too, except they weren't.

Sounded good in theory, did not work out in practice though. One of the guys was running the same exact tune and fuel setup too.

as i stated, turbos are finicky with weather and temp. you have a weight advantage with your aftermarket wheels, as well as thermostat, and other mods to help you run consistent. You definitely have the Unicorn edge sport out of the group, but don't discredit the amount each mod you've done has affected your times compared to others.

It has also been admitted that you were the only one launching from full throttle, was it not?

Edited by Mikula

Mikula, a lot of my mods are traction related. I also launch differently from the other guys. We discussed it and they chose to do what they wanted to do knowing exactly what I was doing.

To your point, I am not sure at what rpm I launch as I just feel it out and step on it progressively from first yellow to third. I don't know what rpm I launch at.

As far as my Edge being a unicorn, that's not the case.

I took it out to track with Chris when I just began racing and I lost 100% of the time. In fact, I lost pretty much every single race against Chris head to head.

Different tunes, wheels, fuel. There are no secrets here. There is no simple explanation for everything.

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

Mikula, a lot of my mods are traction related. I also launch differently from the other guys. We discussed it and they chose to do what they wanted to do knowing exactly what I was doing.

To your point, I am not sure at what rpm I launch as I just feel it out and step on it progressively from first yellow to third. I don't know what rpm I launch at.

As far as my Edge being a unicorn, that's not the case.

I took it out to track with Chris when I just began racing and I lost 100% of the time. In fact, I lost pretty much every single race against Chris head to head.

Different tunes, wheels, fuel. There are no secrets here. There is no simple explanation for everything.

I think we are now discussing 2 different points. You had said

but they don't have the same mods, nor are they driving it the same way you're driving yours. that was my point. I followed by saying half of us should be in the 12's if we were lucky enough to have the same weather you were having. should have stated "with the same mods" being the caveat.

What was the best stock run?

I just took a look at all the photos I took and 224hp was the best Stock I could find. I did find the best V3 and it was 245.9hp. Next time I will take screen shots of every pull. I thought that I would receive all of the info recorded by the Dyno, but that was not the case missed fuel mapping and other info. You can bet when I go in next time I will get every bit of info I can .

• Like 1

Gunning for the new Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo 5 passenger Crossover 505hp 2.9L TT V6 4,400lbs. $81K base. With optional big brakes similar to mine $90K. It goes up from there. Can't wait to see the look on that 81 to +100K Alfa owners face when a Ford Edge smokes him.... B):ford:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Gunning for the new Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo 5 passenger Crossover 505hp 2.9L TT V6 4,400lbs. $81K base. With optional big brakes similar to mine $90K. It goes up from there. Can't wait to see the look on that 81 to +100K Alfa owners face when a Ford Edge smokes him.... B):ford:

when you beat him send him over to us so we can tow him faster than he can accelerate ;-) lol :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

and then blow our PTU in the process lol

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 2