New Edge - Poor MPG?

kalphoto

My wife and I got a 2008 Ford Edge about a month ago. We love everything about it BUT...

We are getting some much lower MPG than estimated. Now it was listed as 16 City / 24 Hwy. I understand that these are estimates and averages BUT...

we are getting about 14 PERIOD. This is probably about 80% city driving 20% hwy driving. We don't drive aggressively.

The car IS new (only 900 miles on it). Is it possible there is a problem with the car? Should we take it into Ford to check out?

Or is this normal, will the mileage improve? I'm seeing people on this forum averaging 17 - 18 in the city. I'd be totally fine with that.

Please advise. Thanks!

My wife and I got a 2008 Ford Edge about a month ago. We love everything about it BUT...

We are getting some much lower MPG than estimated. Now it was listed as 16 City / 24 Hwy. I understand that these are estimates and averages BUT...

we are getting about 14 PERIOD. This is probably about 80% city driving 20% hwy driving. We don't drive aggressively.

The car IS new (only 900 miles on it). Is it possible there is a problem with the car? Should we take it into Ford to check out?

Or is this normal, will the mileage improve? I'm seeing people on this forum averaging 17 - 18 in the city. I'd be totally fine with that.

Please advise. Thanks!

Hi kalphoto. :D There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6-7 and 8):

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - Most areas of the country are still using "winter fuel formulations" (oxygenated), which give lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are still cold, that will adversely affect your MPG. Longer idle times to warm up. Richer fuel mixtures, etc.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. Turn off the "AUTO" setting when not needed, and just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. EDITED: Do not rely on the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitor System) to monitor your tire pressures for you. It is not much more than a glorified "idiot light". By the time the TPMS warning light illuminates, your tire pressure is already dangerously low.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Please advise. Thanks!

Great response bbf! I don't have much more to add other than you're approaching the nominal break-in period of 1,000 miles. Your Edge's transaxle is equipped with an adaptive learning strategy (ALS). As you keep driving it, your vehicle computer has been adjusting shift points to make them feel more consistent. The ALS is also designed to increase durability. The more efficient your transaxle is working the better your vehicle will perform. If you're still concerned with your mileage, then please have your dealership take a look at your Edge. We appreciate your purchase.

Great response bbf! I don't have much more to add other than you're approaching the nominal break-in period of 1,000 miles. Your Edge's transaxle is equipped with an adaptive learning strategy (ALS). As you keep driving it, your vehicle computer has been adjusting shift points to make them feel more consistent. The ALS is also designed to increase durability. The more efficient your transaxle is working the better your vehicle will perform. If you're still concerned with your mileage, then please have your dealership take a look at your Edge. We appreciate your purchase.

So far I am very happy with my gas mileage. I have just over 2,000 km's on mine so it might not even be broken in yet. But I am comparing this to a 2004 Ford Freestar van that I traded in for my Edge. That van had a 98 litre tank and I would get about 500 km's per tank. My Edge has a 72 litre tank and I am getting at least 575 km's per tank. I just wanted to point out that some of us are fairly happy with the mpg's.

Dave

We have around 450 miles on our 2007. I'd say we doing about 50 - 60% of our driving on the highway. The computer is reading 20.4mpg. I have not verified this as of yet but from what I've read on this forum the computer is fairly accurate on this vehicle. (Wish I could say the same for my 2002 Maxima that inflates my fuel economy by around 3 to 4 mpg on its computer.)

At this time I'm very happy with our mileage on the Edge and expect it to improve. Not sure why yours would seem low in comparison. Maybe additional break-in will help.

I :reading:COMMUNITY FORUM > Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX Discussion > New Edge - Poor MPG?

RESOURCES

Latest Ford News

Contact Us!

Lost Password

HELP

MORE FORUMS

AWARDS

• Edge: Appeal Award.

• MKX: Top vehicle satisfaction.

• Edge: Best Road Trip Vehicle.

• Edge: AAA Best Family Car.

• Edge: Top IIHS Safety Pick.

• Edge/MKX: Top Engine Award.

Replying to New Edge - Poor MPG? have just finished a 20,000km ( 12,000mile)trip in my 2008 Edge Limited 4WD pulling a 2000 lb trailer and averaged about 20 mpg - not bad considering I was booting it a bit to get from A to B on the interstates. Not one problem with anything mechanical or othewise. Extremely comfortable and handles like a dream - great towing vehicle for a small trailer such as mine. Some minor complaints (observations) - no grab handle on passenger side, HVAC requires a fair amt of adjustment to get a good fresh airflow, slow response of information system - especilaly when switching from metric to "English" and vice versa, no instantaneous fuel consumption guage. Minor in the grand schem of things.

Will get new wheel rims under warranty soon because of excessive corrosion.

Please advise. Thanks!

kalphoto

You don't say how you figured your mileage. You might ingore the mpg reading on your vehicles readout. Fill you tank. Set your trip odometer to 0. When you have used 3/4 tank, fill your tank again to the same level you did before. Divide the miles by the gallons and you will get your true mileage.

I just finished our first fill up this morning at 465km on the odo, with the low fuel warning. Dropped in 65L of gas, my math says that's 14L/100Km. It's been about 80% city, but I'm fairly good at "hypermile-ing," which is what bbf is refering to. AFAIK that is fairly close to sticker. Not sure on what MPG that is though.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the way gas prices are going we decided we will not be buying our 2008 SEL when it comes off lease.

The family loves the Edge but we have a Honda Van for the kiddie mobile. It holds more and is getting better mileage than the Edge. Not nearly as good a looking car but by the time we are off lease the kids will be old enough to down size to a much more fuel efficient small car.

I am really impressed with the Edge as I have avoided Fords for years but our next purchase will be focused on fuel efficiency first and then looks. At 1.23 per litre driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a fridge and a nice big powerful engine is not really an option anymore.

I just finished our first fill up this morning at 465km on the odo, with the low fuel warning. Dropped in 65L of gas, my math says that's 14L/100Km. It's been about 80% city, but I'm fairly good at "hypermile-ing," which is what bbf is refering to. AFAIK that is fairly close to sticker. Not sure on what MPG that is though.

7.14 Km/L? Not sure if that is good bad or average... the number's kind of meaningless to me. I suppose the fact that there are 3.785 Liters per gallon (according to google) and I know there are 1.61 kilometers per mile this translates to about 62.1 mi / 3.7 gal = 16.78 MPG. which seems about right since my first tank I averaged about 15.4 and half of that was city driving.

by my 2nd tank I was in 16's and 3rd tank around 18 MPG. so it seems like you're on track.

7.14 Km/L? Not sure if that is good bad or average... the number's kind of meaningless to me. I suppose the fact that there are 3.785 Liters per gallon (according to google) and I know there are 1.61 kilometers per mile this translates to about 62.1 mi / 3.7 gal = 16.78 MPG. which seems about right since my first tank I averaged about 15.4 and half of that was city driving.

by my 2nd tank I was in 16's and 3rd tank around 18 MPG. so it seems like you're on track.

I've gotten between 20.8 and 21.9 MPG with my SEL AWD 2007 Edge. I've put nearly 8000 miles on it since 30 Dec 2007. If I was getting 14 MPG, I'd be right back to my dealer to have the car checked out.

Given the way gas prices are going we decided we will not be buying our 2008 SEL when it comes off lease.

The family loves the Edge but we have a Honda Van for the kiddie mobile. It holds more and is getting better mileage than the Edge. Not nearly as good a looking car but by the time we are off lease the kids will be old enough to down size to a much more fuel efficient small car.

I am really impressed with the Edge as I have avoided Fords for years but our next purchase will be focused on fuel efficiency first and then looks. At 1.23 per litre driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a fridge and a nice big powerful engine is not really an option anymore.

Wow I wish gas was only 1.23/L here. In my town it ranges from 1.28 - 1.32. But I know what you mean about the gas usage. Definitely not for the faint of heart - or light of wallet!!

I've gotten between 20.8 and 21.9 MPG with my SEL AWD 2007 Edge. I've put nearly 8000 miles on it since 30 Dec 2007. If I was getting 14 MPG, I'd be right back to my dealer to have the car checked out.

Just filled my Edge this morning with 4751 miles on it. Hand calculation was 21.8 mpg. Computer calculation was 22.4 mpg. About 80% of my driving is what I consider city freeway driving running at 60mph. For the most part I have been babying the Edge. I have always had a lead foot driving 70 to 80mph. With speeding tickets costs going through the roof here in Texas, I decided to make a conserted effort to drive at a more reasonable speed. I do like the spunk that the Edge has as it responds very well when needed.

Took a 700 mile road trip on Easter weekend. Set the cruise on 70 and left it there. Had a head wind going up and a slight tail wind coming back. The edge got 21.9 going up and 25.9 coming back (hand calculation) with an average of 23.6mpg. I expect to do better that that on the next trip.

The only option for gasoline here is the 10% ethonal blend year round. No summer and winter blends anymore. I would love to burn a couple of tanks of regular unleaded fuel. I know that the mpg would go up 1 to 2 mpg.

I am still considering purchasing the SCT tuner discussed in another thread on this forum. Just waiting for more feedback from other Edge owners on that thread before making that decision.

Ethanol affects milage ... up to about 10 to 15% less than with 100% gasoline.

In Toronto Canada we have several choices ... I use Petro Canada at 100% gasoline. Average on the highway doing 130 khr is 9 liters or close to 27 MPImperial Gallon. I still have less than 5000 kms on the clock. Wait till summer formula comes out. It will get better.

buoght my Edge in April 2007. Did 22000km. Driving 70% city an 30% Hwy. My average gas consumption is....18.2 l/100km.... this is a horror story!!!!!!

yes, most of my driving is in the city - but still.... the Edge being the smallest SUV that I ever owned it definitely has the worst mileage. My previous car was Pontiac Montana AWD - very heavy car. Same driving pattern gave me 16l/100km and that car was much heavier than the Edge.... at least I think so, Edge being so much smaller. I am a very solid driver - I don't accelerate and don't brake hard. I am planning to take the car to the dealer asking to tune it up but don't have high hopes.... I'm used to hear from the dealer that all the probems that I encountered with my Edge are the "nature of the car.....

I think it's debatable whether the Edge is a smaller car than your Pontiac Minivan. shorter yes... maybe roofline is a bit lower, by all other measures not really. certainly if it's FWD model you own you should get slightly better mileage than that. but everyone else seems to have decent results on the highway.

I'll give one anecdote I had just filled up on Saturday and drove it about 5 miles on the freeway. I was trying to get to one store near my home and accidentally got off one exit too late, thus had to double back since this place is on a one way road. sat through 2 annoyingly long red lights resulting in stop-and-go with A/C running to get there. drove straight home on surface streets after that. due to my error and street driving my trip computer (now 8 miles) immediately dropped down from 20MPG to 16. after my 11 mile drive to work today on the highway (avg 25-30 miles / hr) I was only able to get it back up to 17 MPG.

point being driving highway vs. city makes the biggest difference IMO. everyone who drives one on highways primarily seems to say they get well over 20MPG even at relatively high speeds. I've yet to achieve that but anyone should be able to get 18+ MPG (around 7-8 km / L) with proper driving, tire pressure, and not running A/C constantly. seems like your average of 5.5 is indeed lower than most

Edited by bri719

I think it's debatable whether the Edge is a smaller car than your Pontiac Minivan. shorter yes... maybe roofline is a bit lower, by all other measures not really. certainly if it's FWD model you own you should get slightly better mileage than that. but everyone else seems to have decent results on the highway.

I'll give one anecdote I had just filled up on Saturday and drove it about 5 miles on the freeway. I was trying to get to one store near my home and accidentally got off one exit too late, thus had to double back since this place is on a one way road. sat through 2 annoyingly long red lights resulting in stop-and-go with A/C running to get there. drove straight home on surface streets after that. due to my error and street driving my trip computer (now 8 miles) immediately dropped down from 20MPG to 16. after my 11 mile drive to work today on the highway (avg 25-30 miles / hr) I was only able to get it back up to 17 MPG.

point being driving highway vs. city makes the biggest difference IMO. everyone who drives one on highways primarily seems to say they get well over 20MPG even at relatively high speeds. I've yet to achieve that but anyone should be able to get 18+ MPG (around 7-8 km / L) with proper driving, tire pressure, and not running A/C constantly. seems like your average of 5.5 is indeed lower than most

My 08 SEL FWD has about 5000 miles and the best I've seen so far (combined freeway and city driving) is 18.3 MPG. I was hoping for 20 overall when I leased the Edge-- a bit of a disapointment. Anyway, even though I like everything else about the car, I will be seriously considering the "ugly" 60 MPG Toyota Prius in 2010-- enough is enough. Gas in So Cal is already at $4.00 a gallon, so the Prius is looking better and better!

Hi kalphoto. :D There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6-7 and 8):

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - Most areas of the country are still using "winter fuel formulations" (oxygenated), which give lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are still cold, that will adversely affect your MPG. Longer idle times to warm up. Richer fuel mixtures, etc.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. Turn off the "AUTO" setting when not needed, and just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. EDITED: Do not rely on the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitor System) to monitor your tire pressures for you. It is not much more than a glorified "idiot light". By the time the TPMS warning light illuminates, your tire pressure is already dangerously low.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I have read a lot of forum post about MPG this is by far the best. Way to go. Very very well said and great advice!!

Steve

I will be seriously considering the "ugly" 60 MPG Toyota Prius in 2010-- enough is enough. Gas in So Cal is already at $4.00 a gallon, so the Prius is looking better and better!

There is no such thing as a 60 mpg Prius. The EPA lowered the Prius mileage estimate to 45 mpg BEFORE the 2008 calculation changes.

Prius's aren't worth the money yet.

My little diesel beetle gets 45 miles to the gallon and has an incredable trade in value still.

I know diesel is higher right now but compared to a gas car it's still cheaper to drive.

50,000 miles so far and not one trip back to the dealer.

If you do a search for the 2009 Prius (coming out in Spring 09), you will find the next generation will produce much more power and much better MPG than the current model. When a vehicle has adequate power, comfort and 60 MPG, I'm afraid I will have to give it serious consideration when my lease is up in 2010. Meanwhile, I will enjoy the power, comfort , versitility and style of my EDGE.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in SE Michigan and the worst MPG my 2007 FWD Edge has ever gotten is about 16. Granted 2007 EDGE FWD has 2.77 ratio gears vs 3.16 for 2008, but that 16 was doing HARD City driving. A lot of hard acceleration involved in that. Typically I get 18-20 in about 80% City driving with mine. I now have 25,000 miles on it and absolutely love it.

Had a chance to calculate mileage at our last fill-up. My calculation is coming up at 20.3 and the computer reads 20.4. Pretty darned close. 900 miles and I'm seeing over 20mpg. I'm happy with this and expect the fuel economy to improve as it is broken in.

FWD or AWD??