Awesome gas milleage

ellygirl084

Hi guys,

Did a 6 hours drive this weekend in extreme heat with AC running almost maxed out, cruising between 110 and 120 kph (67 to 73 mph). Started with a bit more than 3/4 full tank. Arrived at destination, empty light still not on, fueled up, and had this pleasant surprise. My '16 Edge Sport tuned by LMS (91 Perf v3) is guzzling less and less gas every trip I do. Take a look at the pictures... is it just mine that is doing good MPG, or it's the case for everyone as the vehicule is getting more milleage?

post-50434-0-17739700-1530810132_thumb.jpg

post-50434-0-92917900-1530810142_thumb.jpg

So what was the mileage for the trip?

I would have to guess between 330 and 350! It's just that my MPG never been this good... a couple of months ago, I could barely drive 360 miles on a full tank, full to dead empty. I'm just surprised that 2.7EB is getting less and less thirsty! :)

I meant what was the miles per gallon (mpg) or km per liter (km/l) or liters per 100 km (l/100km).

Glad someone else asked.

With my 2017 Sport I get 22-23 mpg in winter and 23-24 mpg in summer, with a mix of 80 mph highway and 40 mph town driving.

Its odd that in summer the AC compressor is running a good deal of the time, and the mpg is better.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

About 26 MPG or about 9L per 100 km. Never done better than 22-23 MPG on highway, or 10L per 100km.

Then you're getting about average, I get 23-24 mpg in mixed town and highway.

We operate our vehicles in a very uncontrolled environment, and with the same driver, same vehicle, same route, same climate, don't expect to achieve exactly the same consumption figure from one day to the next.

Did you apply the "tune" for improved economy?

i consistently get 10.6 liters per 100 km (22.2 miles per US gallon) in mixed city/highway/mountain roads.

i have gone as low as 9.5 (24.8 mpg) on highway only.

2016 Ti 3.5 AWD using 89 octane fuel. 87 Octane needs about 11.6 liters/100km. 91 octane didn't see an improvement over the 89 octane.

Has less to do with summer blend than it does warm air. Air density is less in the summer so you required less gas. Cold air is more dense this uses more fuel plus you have to factor more drag from cold fluids for the first few miles.

I average 28.5 on the highway with my 2.0 LMS tune at 73mph. And 23.5 mpg with my lms tuned 3.5 truck. Ive gotten better fuel mileage on all my ecoboost stuff with my tune on the 93 performance tune. Except my RS that averages 8.9mpg. But thats a driver issue. Im impressed with the 2.7 in this. Oh and I average 23.8 on the highway with my e30 blend.

You guys are all lucky. So far I'm really disappointed with my Edge's fuel economy. I bought a used 2017 Titanium FWD 2.0 eco engine purely for that purpose. The sticker says 21 city/29 highway/24 combined. My driving is about half city and half highway and the average over my first two tanks is 20.5 mpg. Quite disappointing. I was really hoping I'd get closer to the 24 that they claimed.

FWIW, I use Costco 87 octane fuel.

Edited by waterpro
  • Like 1

Has less to do with summer blend than it does warm air. Air density is less in the summer so you required less gas. Cold air is more dense this uses more fuel plus you have to factor more drag from cold fluids for the first few miles.

Air density doesn’t usually matter because you adjust your throttle input accordingly. Summer to winter blend is usually good for 1-2 mpg regardless of driving style.

Throttle position can only adjusts a set amount so air density does mater more than the blend. If it didnt you would not see the substantial diffrence on the dyno from winter to summer. Ive had mine on th dyno in the middle of summer and winter. Fuel is vp so it has no winter to summer blend. Even part through you get more mpg when warm. Not saying both are not factors because of course they are. Both contribute but air temp matters more.

You guys are all lucky. So far I'm really disappointed with my Edge's fuel economy. I bought a used 2017 Titanium FWD 2.0 eco engine purely for that purpose. The sticker says 21 city/29 highway/24 combined. My driving is about half city and half highway and the average over my first two tanks is 20.5 mpg. Quite disappointing. I was really hoping I'd get closer to the 24 that they claimed.

Have you tried new plugs yet? I see a sharp increase in fuel consumption and gap at around 30,000 on a set of plugs. I run one step colder plugs gapped to .028.

If you haven't already done so, check your tire pressures, i usually keep mine around 37-38psi. Also disconnect your positive battery cable for 30-40 minutes to reset the ecu. I could barely achieve 26-27mpg on a trip down to south carolina from ohio. I reset the ecu about 3/4 of the way back up to ohio & my mpg went up about 3-4mpg. I was averaging 32mpg in the hills of West Virginia, but hit rain & traffic in Ohio & brought it down to 29.7, manually calculated.

When you reset the ecu, your edge will take a few miles to relearn its shift points & other variables (basically learns your driving style). I'd recommend that you do this on a good solid highway run, like an 1-2 hours straight highway run. But, realistically, 20-40 minutes on the highway should be fine.

Edited by lildisco

Have you tried new plugs yet? I see a sharp increase in fuel consumption and gap at around 30,000 on a set of plugs. I run one step colder plugs gapped to .028.

New plugs? Not sure what those are. The Edge does have 38k miles on it right now. I've only had it a week and a half so far.

If you haven't already done so, check your tire pressures, i usually keep mine around 37-38psi. Also disconnect your positive battery cable for 30-40 minutes to reset the ecu. I could barely achieve 26-27mpg on a trip down to south carolina from ohio. I reset the ecu about 3/4 of the way back up to ohio & my mpg went up about 3-4mpg. I was averaging 32mpg in the hills of West Virginia, but hit rain & traffic in Ohio & brought it down to 29.7, manually calculated.

When you reset the ecu, your edge will take a few miles to relearn its shift points & other variables (basically learns your driving style). I'd recommend that you do this on a good solid highway run, like an 1-2 hours straight highway run. But, realistically, 20-40 minutes on the highway should be fine.

I have a 5 hour drive coming up this next weekend. I'll do an experiment. I'll reset the counter, drive down there and see what the results are. Then I'll disconnect the battery and reset the counter before I come back and see if it helped.

Thanks and will post the results!

Throttle position can only adjusts a set amount so air density does mater more than the blend. If it didnt you would not see the substantial diffrence on the dyno from winter to summer. Ive had mine on th dyno in the middle of summer and winter. Fuel is vp so it has no winter to summer blend. Even part through you get more mpg when warm. Not saying both are not factors because of course they are. Both contribute but air temp matters more.

Of course you see a difference at WOT on a dyno - the intake is limiting the amount of air so denser air allows more oxygen. All that matters is how much oxygen is entering the engine. There is no difference between 50% throttle in the summer and 45% throttle in the winter (assuming the oxygen difference is 5% just as an example.

It’s extremely well proven that Summer blend fuel yields better fuel economy than winter blend fuel due to the summer additives that reduce vapors in hot weather.

New plugs? Not sure what those are. The Edge does have 38k miles on it right now. I've only had it a week and a half so far.

The spark plugs are good for at least 100,000 miles and if you don't have any misfiring there'd be no point or gain changing them early.

Also, I'd advise against resetting the ECU because doing so wipes out all the adaptive tuning constants - the ECU is always "learning" and applying tuning adjustments based on the many variables encountered such as fuel, ambient temperature, driving style, .......

It's never really learned the waterpro's driving style, it has 37k+ miles of the previous owners driving style.

There is really no harm in reseting the ecu. It just has to re-learn a few parameters & adjust a few things accordingly. I have to do it every spring because my mpg is worse because of winter blend & my wife's driving style (long periods of idling to warm up, etc)

Why on a 1,800 mile road trip all highway, could i only get 26-27mpg in 65 degree weather & no a/c running going down to sea level , but got 29mpg+ coming back up to Ohio while running the A/C? The only difference being resetting the ECU.

There's no catastrophic things that happen when you reset the ECU. It just forces the computer to re-learn the now instead of the previous period. Are there a few inconveniences? Sure, like slightly harder shifting for a few miles & not being able to pass echeck (if you still have that in your area) for a day or 2.

Edited by lildisco

Why on a 1,800 mile road trip all highway, could i only get 26-27mpg in 65 degree weather & no a/c running going down to sea level , but got 29mpg+ coming back up to Ohio while running the A/C? The only difference being resetting the ECU.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=11031

It could be something as simple as the gas used for your return trip being very different - I get different gas near my home (reformulated) to gas stations near work, 40 miles out of town (not reformulated).

You may think that you see benefit in resetting the ECU based on unregulated test environment, but without any engineering explanation based on controlled testing I'd personally not do this.

Edited by 1004ron

i knew that the gas station thing would come up. believe it or not, i used the exact same gas stations on the way home, so that's not it. All Exxon gas stations till I got home then it was Sunoco. I understand what you're saying, but the computers have the ability to relearn all kinds of things, atmospheric conditions, shift points, driver input etc. If the computer would only be set once & adjust itself over a greater period of time, kinda like what you're implying, why does have it to relearn those parameters if say you change out the battery over a few miles?

And yes, completely unscientific, but I have done this several times & have noticed an increase each time. (I just forget about doing it when i swap over my winter/summer wheels.) I also noticed that my LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) was around 8-9% on the way down to SC, but after the ECU Reset & several hours of driving, my LTFT were around 3-4%.

Again, there's no ill effects if you do this, minus the possibility of harder shifts, throttle input, etc, for a few miles while the ECU re-learns driving patterns, even states this in the Owners Manual.