Ford Edge Forum
Sign in to follow this  
axeman_87

Spark Plugs

On 6/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, 1004ron said:

Any pictorials or video on how to change the plugs.

On my wife's 3.7L Mustang the intake manifold needs to come off, but even so it's a fairly easy job.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:11 AM, Special_K said:

@snmjim Should be able to help you.  but the fronts are easy as pie, its the backs that are a straight up PITA.  you have to remove the intake box, rear turbo inlet, and then use skinny hand powers to get them out.

Today, shortly after filling up at Costco, while idling waiting at a light it stumbles/misfired very lightly, and at first I thought it was the female driver on her phone that touched my bumper, but then noticed the tacho also show the irregular beat.

No Check Engine light, but will connect Forscan and read the codes this weekend.

I'm at 50K miles and planned to do an oil change within a week or two, and will replace the spark plugs with originals.

Could someone let me know everything I should order for this job, like intake gasket etc.

55 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Today, shortly after filling up at Costco, while idling waiting at a light it stumbles/misfired very lightly, and at first I thought it was the female driver on her phone that touched my bumper, but then noticed the tacho also show the irregular beat.

No Check Engine light, but will connect Forscan and read the codes this weekend.

I'm at 50K miles and planned to do an oil change within a week or two, and will replace the spark plugs with originals.

Could someone let me know everything I should order for this job, like intake gasket etc.

From reading around, if your symptoms come after refueling, it might indicate a bad EVAP solenoid valve.

This thread has some information on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

From reading around, if your symptoms come after refueling, it might indicate a bad EVAP solenoid valve.

This thread has some information on it.

Thanks @omar302 , I commented in that thread just recently and didn't think to connect it to the symptoms - I'll definitely check that out.

I'll use Forscan, and if the error code is present I'll get it addressed under warranty - I've only got 50K miles on the clock, and paid just shy of $2K for the extended warranty, so as much as I like tinkering, I'll leave it to Ford.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

Anyone gone from the SP-542 to the SP-578 which Ford now list for our 2.7's ?

https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/spark-plugs-sp578-new-part-number-for-542.139471/

Or is there a better option such as the NGK 95605 which is listed for this engine on RockAuto.com - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9779988&cc=3310415&jsn=1829

Edited by 1004ron

I pulled one of the front spark plugs and it is in pristine condition and still at the design gap - definitely still good for another 50K miles.

Front plugs can be deceiving.  The back plugs will tell the real story.  A lot of heat concentrated near the firewall.  But as long as fuel trims look good and there are no performance issues, you should be ok.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, 1004ron said:

Anyone gone from the SP-542 to the SP-578 which Ford now list for our 2.7's ?

https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/spark-plugs-sp578-new-part-number-for-542.139471/

Or is there a better option such as the NGK 95605 which is listed for this engine on RockAuto.com - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9779988&cc=3310415&jsn=1829

SP-542 are hard to find now - although I've got another 50K miles before I change plugs, I'll go with the NGK 95605 Ruthenium HX, unless I can find a good reason why Ford changed to the SP-578