Cone filter/Cold Air intake

dfowler621

• 7 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, rwf78155 said:

just replace the filter in the stock airbox with a K&N like I did ...adds 20hp......jk !

Supposedly it does give you a few extra horses. I have noticed a little better throttle response and more turbo noise. Some folks claim a mileage increase, but I never checked mine.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I overlooked that at first. You have to click on the tiny picture of the filter above the "add to cart" button and you'll end up with Dry S filter. Part # 31-10260

The oiled filter allows a bit more airflow/power at 98.6% filtration rate. I wanted maximum filtration, so I went with the Dry S which is (I think) 30% more airflow than stock but 99.2% filtration.

Results : During summer on summer blend gas, Dry S filter, and muffler delete--- I was averaging 30-31mpg on the highway with a very sensitive throttle. Now that it's cold, these little 2.0 Ecoboosts do NOT do well with Winter blend gas. My old Focus ST was the same way. Spring and Fall are where I see the most power gains. hehe Right now I'm averaging between 24 and 25mpg mixed driving on winter blend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

I overlooked that at first. You have to click on the tiny picture of the filter above the "add to cart" button and you'll end up with Dry S filter. Part # 31-10260

The oiled filter allows a bit more airflow/power at 98.6% filtration rate. I wanted maximum filtration, so I went with the Dry S which is (I think) 30% more airflow than stock but 99.2% filtration.

Results : During summer on summer blend gas, Dry S filter, and muffler delete--- I was averaging 30-31mpg on the highway with a very sensitive throttle. Now that it's cold, these little 2.0 Ecoboosts do NOT do well with Winter blend gas. My old Focus ST was the same way. Spring and Fall are where I see the most power gains. hehe Right now I'm averaging between 24 and 25mpg mixed driving on winter blend.

Thanks for the clarification. I run a large conical dry flow on my Mustang. It made just north of 680 HP on a Dynojet so you know they can flow some air!

Something about that is puzzling me, and maybe you could explain it.

With the good mileage numbers you're getting suggests that you never go anywhere near wide open throttle, so the intake air flow must be much lower than the point where the stock or performance filters would present a flow restriction/pressure drop.

Is the objective better fuel economy, or to squeeze out a little more power at wide open throttle?

Spent some time researching the web on the Dry Flow filter and I'll stick with the factory paper filter. Not so much of a concern with my Mustang which has significant performance enhancements and doesn't see gravel roads or operation in dusty conditions.

"Bob Is The Oil Guy" is an excellent resource for this type of information.

Here is a flow vs filtration test :

ISO_5011_Test_Report_for_AFE_ProDry_75-80882.pdf

Edited by handfiler
grammar

On 1/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, 1004ron said:

Something about that is puzzling me, and maybe you could explain it.

With the good mileage numbers you're getting suggests that you never go anywhere near wide open throttle, so the intake air flow must be much lower than the point where the stock or performance filters would present a flow restriction/pressure drop.

Is the objective better fuel economy, or to squeeze out a little more power at wide open throttle?

I do goose the throttle from time to time. I find myself doing it even more during winter time, and I'm averaging 24-25mpg mixed driving. I do not drive like a granny at all.

In the summer, I do take it easier due to heat and how it doesn't play nice with turbos. (Former Focus ST owner)

I bought the filter, because I have always noticed better highway throttle response with them with all of my vehicles. It's true that it might not make a difference at city speeds, but at least I am able to clean it instead of buying new ones. If I wanted even more "power", I would have gone with a Pro 5R instead of the Dry filter. I have twin girls due anytime now, which is the main reason I sold my ST and got the Edge. So longevity is my priority.

1 hour ago, IcyFridge said:

I do goose the throttle from time to time. I find myself doing it even more during winter time, and I'm averaging 24-25mpg mixed driving. I do not drive like a granny at all.

In the summer, I do take it easier due to heat and how it doesn't play nice with turbos. (Former Focus ST owner)

I bought the filter, because I have always noticed better highway throttle response with them with all of my vehicles. It's true that it might not make a difference at city speeds, but at least I am able to clean it instead of buying new ones. If I wanted even more "power", I would have gone with a Pro 5R instead of the Dry filter. I have twin girls due anytime now, which is the main reason I sold my ST and got the Edge. So longevity is my priority.

You're not really seeing any real world performance effect of an air filter with claims of a higher air flow rate capability because that will only come into play if your engine is drawing in air flow rates exceeding the rating of the stock OEM paper filter, which would only be heavy acceleration at Wide Open Throttle.

The throttle response will not differ between filters while the nominal air flow is lower than the point where the filters present a flow restriction.

I'd stick with the factory or a quality aftermarket paper filter like Wix if longevity is a concern.

• Like 1

I have never liked paper filters. On all 16 of my vehicles, a K&N (or dryflow) made a noticeable difference to me. It's all up to the driver and individual preference. 

Dyno may or may not show gains, but it's all about driveability for me. Longevity isn't an issue for me. All of my vehicles have had one filter that's been cleaned maybe every 20k. I don't keep vehicles much past 100k anyways. 

16 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

I have never liked paper filters. On all 16 of my vehicles, a K&N (or dryflow) made a noticeable difference to me. It's all up to the driver and individual preference

Dyno may or may not show gains, but it's all about driveability for me. Longevity isn't an issue for me. All of my vehicles have had one filter that's been cleaned maybe every 20k. I don't keep vehicles much past 100k anyways. 

True, absolutely nothing wrong with selecting products like this on personal preference.

All I'm doing is drawing attention to the false performance enhancement claims by some of these manufacturers, which have no real technical or engineering basis.

A very typical example is some, not all, that install "cold air" intakes which actually draw hot air from the engine compartment directly behind the hot radiator, and placebo has the driver 'feeling" an incredible power gain.

22 hours ago, 1004ron said:

True, absolutely nothing wrong with selecting products like this on personal preference.

All I'm doing is drawing attention to the false performance enhancement claims by some of these manufacturers, which have no real technical or engineering basis.

A very typical example is some, not all, that install "cold air" intakes which actually draw hot air from the engine compartment directly behind the hot radiator, and placebo has the driver 'feeling" an incredible power gain. 

I completely agree with you on there. Every single one of my vehicles has been modified/not stock. The Edge is probably the most stock vehicle I have.

Manufacturer claims are somewhat accurate, but they don't include the tiny fine print that says the HP peak is reached at like 5800 RPM for .00001 seconds. What really makes a difference is the power through the torque curve. People just look at it and immediately gravitate to "OMG 10hp over stock!!!", when in reality... it's like 1hp over stock over the power band with a split second of max HP right before the engine shifts.

Most modern ECUs are going to level out the gains anyways. I'm not sure about the Edge's Ecoboost management platform, but my Focus ST had torque targets which limited maximum power. A basic drop in with a snorkel probably didn't make any power, but it sure felt like my turbo was spooling up quicker. When it comes to my Edge, it doesn't have as drastic an effect but seems to work better at highway speeds considering the stock airbox is already a "true" cold air intake.

The only TRUE way to reap the benefits of an intake is to tune, N/A or F/I... My old Charger had an AEM CAI with the heat shield box. It didn't make any difference until I opened a hole underneath the intake through the fender and tuned it. That little 3.6 ripped so many V8s to pieces! Other than that one case, I always like to stick with intakes that draw fresh air outside the engine bay.

• Thanks 1