New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

Hi all new ST owners!

I thought I'd start a thread with 'new things', 'where's my cheese' or 'issues'.

1. Heated Steering Wheel setting toggle On/Off. This setting is very hidden (Climate>Menu>Heated Steering Wheel).

Solution: FORScan APIM module (used the non-AsBuilt module selection, then chose 'Show').

Downside: Sync appears to only start on the Home screen.

2. Rear windows One-Touch down. Is this present in your vehicle? The icons on the switch suggest they should go down with a hard push. Mine don't (have an appointment to have a Tech look at them). Yes, I've tried to 'Re-learn' by following the manual's directions.

3. Windows Up with remote long press after locking via remote. Only Down is available from the factory. FORScan does allow this change. Need to set both the Driver and Passenger separately.

FORScan: followed the instructions/settings on this page (mirrors work too but there are better places for instructions). Anything in the IPC doesn't allow editing (either Ford encrypted it or FORScan can't do it yet).

If you know of another method for any of the above, I'd be glad to hear (try).

• Like 2

#2... wow, you are correct. No 2 detents so no One-Touch, bummer.

No 180 rear camera, only the front.

No mention of a rear camera washer in the manual but there appears to be one there. It is activated with windshield washing just like the front camera. Just tested it and soap/foam was on the lens but didn't see the nozzle pop-out.

Edited by bobyellow
  • Like 2

Things I noticed compared to my 2015 Sport.

Pairing Garage opener: I took a while for the ST to pair with the Liftmaster garage unit. I would put the unit into a learning mode and go back to the car and follow the pairing sequence, but it would not pair. I tried this about five times before I gave up. Then I had to find the visor remote and followed the pairing sequence, and it paired immediately.

Rotary transmission shifter: I thought it would take a while to get used to the rotary shifter, but it was easy to get used to, and I can shift into drive and reverse without thinking about it. Two nice the things the shifter does is you can turn the car off or open the door, and the shifter will automatically go in to park.

Ride Quality: The ride quality is much better in the ST compared to my 2015 Sport. My wife even commented on how the ride is smoother in the ST.

Dislikes: The piped in exhaust sound does not sound good, but B/O stereo easily drowns it out. The B/O is a big step up from the Sony stereo in my 2015.
  • Like 2

Really? Imagine that......

I mentioned this in another post, but as soon as I drove it off the lot, I noticed the better ride quality and that is with the tires over-inflated. I know the ST has a 10% higher spring rates and stiffer shocks, but it rides better than my 2015 Sport. Maybe the tires have something to do with as the ST comes with all season Continentals and the Sport had all season Pirellis.

• Like 1

I mentioned this in another post, but as soon as I drove it off the lot, I noticed the better ride quality and that is with the tires over-inflated. I know the ST has a 10% higher spring rates and stiffer shocks, but it rides better than my 2015 Sport. Maybe the tires have something to do with as the ST comes with all season Continentals and the Sport had all season Pirellis.

Some people claimed that wasn’t possible.

• Like 1

Pairing Garage opener: I took a while for the ST to pair with the Liftmaster garage unit. I would put the unit into a learning mode and go back to the car and follow the pairing sequence, but it would not pair. I tried this about five times before I gave up. Then I had to find the visor remote and followed the pairing sequence, and it paired immediately.
Dislikes: The piped in exhaust sound does not sound good, but B/O stereo easily drowns it out. The B/O is a big step up from the Sony stereo in my 2015.

Garage opener: agreed. For me, I had to then reprogram my wife's Fusion (seemed to have taken over that frequency).

Exhaust: this can be disabled with FORScan but that might also disable noise canceling (there are two boxes to toggle so maybe not?).

No mention of a rear camera washer in the manual but there appears to be one there. It is activated with windshield washing just like the front camera. Just tested it and soap/foam was on the lens but didn't see the nozzle pop-out.

You can also test it by engaging the washer while in revers & see it on the display. Can you take a close up picture of the camera & washer bracket? Want to compare it to my 2016 model to see if it is a possible upgrade. (I know I'd also need the hose and connection from rear washer).

• Like 1

10% stiffer infront, 20% in the back with firmer anti-roll bars and it improved the ride? Now that is remarkable! Glad you are enjoying you new car :)

10% stiffer infront, 20% in the back with firmer anti-roll bars and it improved the ride? Now that is remarkable! Glad you are enjoying you new car :)

Yes, improved ride quality over my 2011, 2013 and 2015 Sport which all were on 21 to 22 inches wheels. In all of the reviews, I don't remember anyone complaining about the ride quality.

You can also test it by engaging the washer while in revers & see it on the display. Can you take a close up picture of the camera & washer bracket? Want to compare it to my 2016 model to see if it is a possible upgrade. (I know I'd also need the hose and connection from rear washer).

No moving parts. Just a spray nozzle. The camera bracket is 'split' at the top.

*Don't seem to have the ability to upload a video (or any attachments).

Video on Google Drive

Edited by bobyellow
  • Like 2

Blitz118:

When did you order your ST and after now driving it some; what do YOU think of the new 8 speed auto, is it as bad as the reviews I come across say it is, basically making it unfit to be called a ST??? Thanks!

I didn't order mine, and I got mines off the dealer lot. I have not noticed any issues with the transmission. If you're concerned about the transmission or the ST branding you should test drive it before you buy it. It's an SUV and not an ST hot hatch. The below ST hot hatch owner seems to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTXf9eZv_MI&t=578s

Camera wash sounds great but the hanging drip it would leave when cleaning while needing to reverse means you would have to use it with foresight. Already now in rain I sometimes get the hanging drop of water that distorts the camera image so bad it is not usable.

That is something to take into consideration, and to be honest I had not thought about it until you mentioned it.

Not worth starting new thread for,....... and I'm just the messenger;

https://driving.ca/ford/edge/auto-news/news/ford-unveils-evil-looking-edge-st-camera-car

Yup, saw that last week. I love the matte black look of the car (stealth-like).

Looks like a beast to carry that rig. Seems like it would tip over. High speeds too.