New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

Going over the spec sheets on both US and Canadian websites it appears the US truly doesn't get the adaptive leds but Canada does.

What is listed on the US site is

LED Headlamps with LED Park Projector and LED Amber light Blade Turn Signal

Canadian site lists

Adaptive LED Headlamps with LED Amber Light Blade Turn Signals

9 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Going over the spec sheets on both US and Canadian websites it appears the US truly doesn't get the adaptive leds but Canada does.

What is listed on the US site is

LED Headlamps with LED Park Projector and LED Amber light Blade Turn Signal

Canadian site lists

Adaptive LED Headlamps with LED Amber Light Blade Turn Signals

This appears to be the case as you say, @Perblue.

That said, the Ford website must be mid-representing the actual config, because the “Build it” tool does say adaptive LED Headlights:

E3109520-2424-474E-A368-57B4A6FA3A55.jpeg

Anyone can confirm if the headlights and front turn signals to confirm are LED or not? It seems Ford is still mixed up with the 2019 Edge. Not only with the adaptive lights, but also the bulbs as the owners manual shows the headlight bulbs as either H11/9005 (Halogen) or D3S (HID) although the 2019 Order guide states "Headlamps on all series are Bi-LED, Low and High Beam".

image.thumb.png.cd55d49786f23455d3895df5c647e05f.png

Ford has been misrepresenting the adaptive LEDs on the MKX for at least a year if not two.  I think they were planned but the way they work (turning on and off different elements) runs afoul of hopelessly out of date DOT regulations.  Why they can't get this right in the marketing and order guide is a mystery.

From the owner's manual:

The headlamp beams move in the same direction as the steering wheel. This provides more visibility when driving around curves.
  • Without adaptive headlamps. Please  see the attached.
  • With adaptive headlamps. Please see the attached.
  • The system only works with the lighting control in the autolamp position.  You can switch this feature on or off in the information display.
    Note:  There is a delay of two to five seconds before the system operates when you drive your vehicle.
    Note:  The system is only active at speeds above 3 mph (5 km/h).
    System Check
    The system has a power-up movement check feature. When you start your vehicle, the lamps track left to right, then back to center to alert the driver that the system is working properly.

Adaptive Headlamps.pdf

Edited by blitz118

1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:

damn, they just turn with the vehicle? sigh....I was hoping Ford actually did something useful like this

They did (see video above) but they're illegal in the US right now.   DOT has said they're looking at changing the regulations to make them legal but I haven't seen a timeframe.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, MrHappy said:

Hate to even bring it up since I've been through one myself but you might want to keep track of the days in service, at 30 you could qualify for lemon law. :(  Hopefully it doesn't get to that but it sounds like it's becoming an option.

Update 11/27/2018: Well, the saga continues. I talked with an "assistant" to the Ford Regional CSM assigned to our case with Ford on Friday, 11/23. To make a long story short, they spoke with the Service Advisor (and not the Service Manager to my knowledge), and indicated yet another part (the oil cooler) was the wrong oil cooler for our Edge ST, and as of Friday afternoon (Black Friday afternoon), they would start anew and finish the repairs by Wednesday, 11/27/18.

I am also to receive a follow-up call from the Ford Regional CSM on Wednesday, 11/27/18.

Minutes ago, I received an email from the dealer Service Advisor stating that they are down technicians at this dealership, and that our Edge ST will not be available for 1 to 2 more weeks! Tomorrow marks 21 days (3 weeks) to the day that we dropped off the vehicle for repairs. Again, this is not due to lack of parts but what I objected to in the first place, which is labor. They did indicate that they are willing to provide us a rental car (at their expense - no offer of a loaner car). That is the first time that has been offered.

I feel like we are being held "hostage" in this situation - our brand new Edge ST seems to be at the mercy of this dealer's technician labor issues - never mind the quality of the repairs. I will talk with the Ford Regional CSM tomorrow, and go from there, but I'm quickly heading toward having to think about taking legal action. This is getting "messy" very quickly. And all my wife did was buy a new Edge ST, drive it home, start enjoying a little over a week, and turning it in to the dealer to perform some warranty work, where it remains.

Agonizing and beyond frustrating ...

• Sad 3

I had to do a buy back on my 18 GT Mustang. The process took a little over 2 months but I was able to get my Edge ST. Hope you get everything worked out. If the vehicle has been in the shop for over 30 consecutive days (check the lemon law for your state) they should be able to do a buyback or switch to another ST. 

2 hours ago, blitz118 said:

If you followed the instructions in the owner's manual, and they are still not working, then you should take it to the service department. 

There Really aren't any instructions.  the manual says there is a way to enable and disable the function which doesn't exist.  So long and the lights are on "auto" mode they should "adapt" my lights are set to auto and they don't work.

8 hours ago, blitz118 said:

I'm in the US and mine's works as it says in the owner's manual. 

Adaptive Headlamps.pdf

Hey Blitz,

I have the 2019 ST with the 401A pkg and it does not include the adaptive LED headlamps according to my window sticker or my vehicle settings menu within the "lighting" options.

I have my exterior lights set to auto mode and they don't move side to side against a garage door at night. What you mention as subtle movement turning the wheel at a stop is actually the front end of the Edge moving as you turn the wheel. It would help us here on this message board if you could post a picture of your vehicle settings displaying the adaptive lighting feature option being able to choose "on or off". If your vehicle shows this option under settings, I can show my dealership what I should have. Thanks for your help!

Edited by bmwta
added missing word

5 hours ago, akirby said:

They did (see video above) but they're illegal in the US right now.   DOT has said they're looking at changing the regulations to make them legal but I haven't seen a timeframe.

as a lighting enthusiast, totally tracking the whole DOT thing, my understanding was it was a 5 year research, which means by the time we are allowed to use current euro led standards, cars will be flying

• Haha 1

Update 11/28/2018: Diagnosis from dealer:

1. PTU coolant leak - required to take apart half of the vehicle to access and replace.

2. Rear main seal oil leak - have to replace the main oil seal on the engine.

3. Halfshaft oil leak - have to replace oil seal (?).

No technical labor to put back together for another 1 to 2 weeks.

We are in a new place with this information … it would seem we truly got a rare multiple problem vehicle (a true lemon).

• Confused 1

I would just bide your time quietly, less the 30 days pass by a couple of days then begin the lemon law proceedings.  It might be worth contacting attorneys now so you can have one selected.  It's an unfortunate step but personally, I would not be comfortable driving a brand new vehicle that has been disassembled in that manner so quickly after purchase and especially where the repair labor is a major question.  DO NOT mention lemon law to anyone at Ford or the dealership until a few days after the 30 day mark has passed.  Truly wishing you the best of luck!!

1 hour ago, mwilson6192 said:

Update 11/28/2018: Diagnosis from dealer:

1. PTU coolant leak - required to take apart half of the vehicle to access and replace.

2. Rear main seal oil leak - have to replace the main oil seal on the engine.

3. Halfshaft oil leak - have to replace oil seal (?).

No technical labor to put back together for another 1 to 2 weeks.

We are in a new place with this information … it would seem we truly got a rare multiple problem vehicle (a true lemon).

Wow. Any idea how this got past QC? Sounds like a lot of leaks!