New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

Do you have the 401A package?

If so, how are the adaptive LED lights? Better/worse than the mediocre HIDs on older Sports?

I have to 401A package, but I don't remember this jumping out at me as being worse than my 2015 Sport. Is this a deal breaker for you?
Things that jumped out at me immediately upon driving the car for the first time was the ride quality and the handling both feeling better than my 2015. The perforated steering wheel feels better in hand than the 2015 steering wheel. It feels smaller in diameter, but I've to measure it next to the 2015 steering wheel to be sure. The B/O stereo is better sounding than the Sony.
Edited by blitz118
  • Like 1

Oh ok. Seemed like everything I read involved high beams, everything also mentioned dynamic led headlights no idea if there is a difference or just marketing. According to the Rep who brought out the st demo to the dealer her the Canadian cars are supposed to have it functional and it is supposed to be quite obvious. Said it took a while to get used to.

Considering this thing has been released there really are too few details on it available Imo.

Adaptive headlamps mean the light beams turn right or left with the steering wheel to illuminate the side your turning into. I had them in my 2011 MKX and they were noticeable, especially when changing turns (from left to right or vice versa). Very useful in my opinion. Also, upon startup, if the lights are on they would do a system check up and turn left then right, can be seen if parked close to wall at night.

Here is the link from the owners manual for the 2019 Edge.

Also, from reading the order guides, it seems with the adaptive headlights the Edge would also get LED turn signals. Though the owners manual bulb specification chart doesn't seem to be correct in this regards (still lists 9005/H11 & D3S for low/high beams instead of LED)

• Like 1

Adaptive headlamps mean the light beams turn right or left with the steering wheel to illuminate the side your turning into. I had them in my 2011 MKX and they were noticeable, especially when changing turns (from left to right or vice versa). Very useful in my opinion. Also, upon startup, if the lights are on they would do a system check up and turn left then right, can be seen if parked close to wall at night.

Here is the link from the owners manual for the 2019 Edge.

Also, from reading the order guides, it seems with the adaptive headlights the Edge would also get LED turn signals. Though the owners manual bulb specification chart doesn't seem to be correct in this regards (still lists 9005/H11 & D3S for low/high beams instead of LED)

I never paid much attention to this, but I can confirm the 2019 ST has adaptive headlights. I turned the vehicle on this morning, and it did the system check turning the headlights left to right. If I turn the steering wheel left to right, the lights move in the same direction.

I never paid much attention to this, but I can confirm the 2019 ST has adaptive headlights. I turned the vehicle on this morning, and it did the system check turning the headlights left to right. If I turn the steering wheel left to right, the lights move in the same direction.

That is cool. Almost makes me want to switch to 401A just for this feature. I'm at the edge of my budget though and really dont need much else from the 401A group.

Hi, brand new owner of an Edge ST (actually it is my wife's ST).

We drove 700 miles (12 hours round trip) to get the exact Edge ST color and options she wanted, on a dealer lot, at an exceptional price, with 1.9% Ford financing and an additional $500 rebate on top of that (which beat any credit union/bank finance rate that was available to her). Her Edge ST was optioned as follows:

Ford Performance Blue Metallic (an awesome color - in our opinion it is the best).

401A package - $5,585

Cold Weather Package - $495

21-inch Painted Black Gloss rims and All Season Tires - $995

We did NOT get the Performance Brake Package (on purpose - we didn't want Summer Tires and the brake package severely limited the availability of on-the-lot models to pick from).

Someone at the beginning of this thread metioned how smooth the Edge ST was. Having owned a 2012 Ford Edge Sport, I have to agree. This is the smoothest and quietest SUV that we have driven in some time. The power is exceptional (which is why we bought the ST). We both saw the Edge ST featured at the Carlisle Ford Nationals show (in Ford Performance Blue Metallic), and that is when my wife decided she wanted this specific Edge - by it's looks alone.

I have to say as the owner of a 14 Shelby GT500 and a 17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue, this SUV is the first SUV that I feel looks GOOD!!! I realize this is all in the eyes of the beholder, but the Edge ST in Ford Performance Blue Metallic with the black 21-inch wheels just looks … GOOD!!

It has more safety features than ever, yet according to my wife on the long return home, it did not get in the way at all. She enjoys the responsive steering (responsive to her anyway), the features/options, the good looks, and the power this twin turbo delivers. She absolutely required front and rear cameras - you need to spend $5,585 to get a front camera. Fortunately for us, we both like fully optioned vehicles and don't mind paying for the options as we tend to keep our vehicles for many years.

I just ordered several Ford OEM Accessories including a color coordinated (ebony) retractable cargo cover, a molded cargo mat, and locking lug nuts. You would think for this amount of money and the 401A package that these items would be included. Alas, no. We did get the cold weather package which comes with molded rubber front and rear mats (AND it comes with a heated steering wheel which she loves). But, I like the high sides of the Weathertech molded front and rear floor protectors and ordered that.

I find it a bit odd that buying molded custom OEM mud flaps for the Edge ST is an exercise in futility. Like the 15-18 Ford Edge Sport models, there is no Ford OEM accessory to fit the Sport or ST models. I ended up using this forum to research, find and order mud flaps that Edge Sport model owners have used from a specific eBay site which sources directly from China! One of the best things I have ever done to protect my Mustangs is to install mud flaps to keep the inevitable stones/crap from the road from "eating" the rocker panels. Our new Edge ST will be no exception. This is a disappointment I have to say that there are no OEM mud flaps that one can purchase - this is a must accessory for me.

Just thought I would share my initial experiences with the Edge ST.

Edited by mwilson6192
  • Like 2

Hi, brand new owner of an Edge ST (actually it is my wife's ST).

We drove 700 miles (12 hours round trip) to get the exact Edge ST color and options she wanted, on a dealer lot, at an exceptional price, with 1.9% Ford financing and an additional $500 rebate on top of that (which beat any credit union/bank finance rate that was available to her). Her Edge ST was optioned as follows:

Ford Performance Blue Metallic (an awesome color - in our opinion it is the best).

401A package - $5,585

Cold Weather Package - $495

21-inch Painted Black Gloss rims and All Season Tires - $995

We did NOT get the Performance Brake Package (on purpose - we didn't want Summer Tires and the brake package severely limited the availability of on-the-lot models to pick from).

Someone at the beginning of this thread metioned how smooth the Edge ST was. Having owned a 2012 Ford Edge Sport, I have to agree. This is the smoothest and quietest SUV that we have driven in some time. The power is exceptional (which is why we bought the ST). We both saw the Edge ST featured at the Carlisle Ford Nationals show (in Ford Performance Blue Metallic), and that is when my wife decided she wanted this specific Edge - by it's looks alone.

I have to say as the owner of a 14 Shelby GT500 and a 17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue, this SUV is the first SUV that I feel looks GOOD!!! I realize this is all in the eyes of the beholder, but the Edge ST in Ford Performance Blue Metallic with the black 21-inch wheels just looks … GOOD!!

It has more safety features than ever, yet according to my wife on the long return home, it did not get in the way at all. She enjoys the responsive steering (responsive to her anyway), the features/options, the good looks, and the power this twin turbo delivers. She absolutely required front and rear cameras - you need to spend $5,585 to get a front camera. Fortunately for us, we both like fully optioned vehicles and don't mind paying for the options as we tend to keep our vehicles for many years.

I just ordered several Ford OEM Accessories including a color coordinated (ebony) retractable cargo cover, a molded cargo mat, and locking lug nuts. You would think for this amount of money and the 401A package that these items would be included. Alas, no. We did get the cold weather package which comes with molded rubber front and rear mats (AND it comes with a heated steering wheel which she loves). But, I like the high sides of the Weathertech molded front and rear floor protectors and ordered that.

I find it a bit odd that buying molded custom OEM mud flaps for the Edge ST is an exercise in futility. Like the 15-18 Ford Edge Sport models, there is no Ford OEM accessory to fit the Sport or ST models. I ended up using this forum to research, find and order mud flaps that Edge Sport model owners have used from a specific eBay site which sources directly from China! One of the best things I have ever done to protect my Mustangs is to install mud flaps to keep the inevitable stones/crap from the road from "eating" the rocker panels. Our new Edge ST will be no exception. This is a disappointment I have to say that there are no OEM mud flaps that one can purchase - this is a must accessory for me.

Just thought I would share my initial experiences with the Edge ST.

Did you trade in her mustang and make a YouTube vid as you picked it up?

Can you give me the brand and model of the tires so I can replace my Pirelli's

Continental makes a UHP and a all season performance tire. (DWS0S)

http://www.continentaltire.com/tire-search?mode=vehicle&year=2018&make_id=22&model_id=11835&vehicle_id=67479&plus_size=1

Bridgestone make a Dueller in 21" as well.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/catalog?tiresize=P265/45R21&tpms=true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

One thing I can't seem to find an answer to is, is the bolt pattern the same for rims as the older models and will it still truly fit 18 inch rims on the st like was speculated. Trying to figure out if I need to buy new winter rims before mine comes in or not. 

Bolt pattern is the same, the chassis hasn't changed still CD4. as far as wheels, I dunno, if you have the brake package probably not. But rims are on the basketball court 10ft high, too hard for me to measure them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

One thing I can't seem to find an answer to is, is the bolt pattern the same for rims as the older models and will it still truly fit 18 inch rims on the st like was speculated. Trying to figure out if I need to buy new winter rims before mine comes in or not. 

25 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

Bolt pattern is the same, the chassis hasn't changed still CD4. as far as wheels, I dunno, if you have the brake package probably not. But rims are on the basketball court 10ft high, too hard for me to measure them.

Just as what Nick said, 2015+ models use the same Bolt pattern. Your 2013's wheel are different. Another thing I am not sure of nor did I see it mentioned before, is whether the ST's Brake Performance Package has bigger brake hardware that might not fit  in a 18" wheel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roots57 said:

The body work where the mud flaps are mounted looks identical to the 15-18 sport (esp the front), theres a really good chance they will fit the ST also.  If it is a must-have item, $40 isn't a huge loss if you can't make them fit, esp considering there isn't any other options.  The Chinese mudflaps fit perfectly on my sport.

Agreed. I did order the mud flaps that you/other's used with your Edge Sport's. I will find out for certain once I receive and install them … I expect them to have the same fitment as you experienced. It is a must have item … this is the single most important accessory that I installed on my Mustangs, especially the Shelby where it has "sticky" Michelin Pilot Super Sports that absolutely pick up *every single stone* on a given road and try to throw them at high speed at the rockers.

Well, I have some unfortunate news regarding our new Edge ST. As I was mopping up the garage floor yesterday evening after pulling out my wife's new Edge ST to clean up the accumulated rain runoff from the vehicle (we have been getting weeks of rain!), I noticed a small pink puddle on the floor. I inspected the fluid, and it was slimy and sweet smelling. Crap! I crawled underneath the body, and there was clearly a line of pink drops … a coolant leak! Less than 500 miles on my the Edge ST. This was not a large coolant leak, but a leak nonetheless.

I took it to the dealer this morning (which was awkward as I bought the Edge ST out-of-state), and they just called stating that a coolant O-ring on the engine block is leaking. The Service Manager didn't get very deep into the explanation, and I didn't press … there is a coolant leak verified by me, and it needs to be fixed. The part will take 3-to-4 days to arrive at this point (the part is not in stock at the distributor). More disturbing, the mechanic also noticed a "potential" oil leak, so they want to run a dye to determine if and where the oil leak is coming from. I did not notice an oil leak while under the vehicle, so I suspect it is very slight. Crap again! I am not impressed with our bad luck on possibly two leaks in our brand new Edge ST.

The one "comforting" factor (if I can call it that) is that I specified a specific senior mechanic to work on our Edge ST. He is an excellent mechanic and is the ONLY mechanic who is allowed to touch my 2014 Shelby GT500, so I have some comfort in knowing a seasoned, skilled mechanic that I have dealt with for years is addressing this issue. It will all be fixed under warranty, but I'm disappointed that that this has happened to our Edge ST. I did find out that our Edge ST was built on 9/4/18 … which I believe was the first day of production for the 2019 Edge (ST as well as other Edge models).

Still very disappointed that we have to deal with these issues on our brand new Edge ST.

• Sad 3