Dealer wants me to trade my '16 Titanium for a '19 ST...

My dealer called me today to ask me if I'd be interested in trading in my '16 Titanium for a new 2019 model… …but I think I'm going to keep mine as my last payment will be in next April. I replied to him that the only model I'd be interested in is the ST model because it's the only one which has a 6 cyl. engine. He said to come see him next time I come in for some maintenance and that he'd take me for a road test in a '19 ST… I don't want to let myself be tempted so I maybe I should pass on the road test …;) What do you guys think?...

Claude.:headscratch: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Young said:

We get letters and phone calls from our dealer all the time. Everything from 'our use car inventory is low',  or 'We need used Edge's on our lot'. Even get dealer 'spam' on my Mustang too :)

They are just trying to sell you a new vehicle :(

This is my experience as well. The dealer will always have "low inventory" or "several buyers" looking for "your car" where they will give you a "great deal" on a new car. BUT like you said OP, your payments are up in April. I'm the kind of person that doesn't like car payments, so for me that would be a check in the "no new car" box. However everyone has their preference on car payments. 

That being said, they are kind of apples to oranges in my opinion. TI vs SI are different motors and different suspension/brake setups, so perhaps you think about it more along the lines of what are you looking for out of your Edge? I see you have a couple of quick cars, so if you're Edge is more a hauler my vote would be to keep the TI. One last thing to consider, while its not a completely new car for 2019, lots of new parts and redesign. First year of redesign always ends up having some type of first year bugs that will be worked out for 2020+. 

My first car was a '64 Chevelle Malibu, boy what I'd give to have had a 496 in there!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RyanGlenn said:

This is my experience as well. The dealer will always have "low inventory" or "several buyers" looking for "your car" where they will give you a "great deal" on a new car. BUT like you said OP, your payments are up in April. I'm the kind of person that doesn't like car payments, so for me that would be a check in the "no new car" box. However everyone has their preference on car payments. 

That being said, they are kind of apples to oranges in my opinion. TI vs SI are different motors and different suspension/brake setups, so perhaps you think about it more along the lines of what are you looking for out of your Edge? I see you have a couple of quick cars, so if you're Edge is more a hauler my vote would be to keep the TI.  

My first car was a '64 Chevelle Malibu, boy what I'd give to have had a 496 in there!

I was told something like "we have several buyers looking for clean low miles cars like yours"… Yeah sure… I think that if it's clean and has low miles, then it's good for me:thumbsup: As for my TI vs. a new ST, well the only reason why I'd want a ST (if I were going to change) is because it's now the only one which can be had with a V6 and I'm not interested in a 4 cyl. Also I agree with what you said…I already have two "toys" (a '71 Chevelle SS and an '87 Buick Grand National) and my Edge is my "everyday driver" so I'm keeping it….and one last thing to back up my decision is that my last payment is in April and I want to be done with that.:clapping:

Claude. ;)

• 1 month later...

My dealer keeps trying to get me out of my paid for 2011.  The salesman who already knows me understands I am looking at the following:

Edge ST in either Platinum White or Magnetic
Expedition Platinum Max in Platinum White

Planning a test drive of an ST soon.  Already test drove the Expedition Platinum Max.

Added "temptations"

- Mustang GT (Dealership is also a Roush dealership which means warranteed mods)

Almost guarantee that wifey might veto the Stang because she thinks they are claustrophobic

- Camaro ZL1 (Already test drove one)

Spousal "Temptation"

- 2017 Chrysler 300c in the Used Car lot with 42k on the clock.  She already has a 2013 with almost 170k.

• 1 month later...

Don't test drive it.. Just ask how much they would offer for your car. 

I always used a specific dealership and as my 2011 aged i realized its depreciation was eating into the required equity to buy my next car. Because of this I began entertaining trade in offers even before I settled on the new car. My go-to dealership offered me 6K under Bluebook even after inspecting the car. The car was flawless with only 50K miles. I walked out and never came back again. New dealership offered bluebook right away without even looking at the car once they heard the mileage. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 18 janvier 2019 at 1:56 AM, t0lkman said:

please post trade in offer here, I wonder how much a dealer will want for a trade in

On 21 mars 2019 at 2:32 PM, Fingernip said:

Don't test drive it.. Just ask how much they would offer for your car. 

The dealer offered me $30K~$32K for my Titanium. I know this is a pretty good offer but I don't feel getting back to having payments again now that the car is paid for. Speaking of that, I received a letter today from Ford Motor Credit basically saying that the car is now "paid in full"… Isn't that a great feeling...!  :yahoo:

Claude.:clapping:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

The dealer offered me $30K~$32K for my Titanium. I know this is a pretty good offer but I don't feel getting back to having payments again now that the car is paid for. Speaking of that, I received a letter today from Ford Motor Credit basically saying that the car is now "paid in full"… Isn't that a great feeling...!  :yahoo:

Claude.:clapping:

If they really offer that much and you have any money at all to put down you could potentially have a cash sale or very very little financed. I suspect they will try and get you on the ST though. People are getting them in the high 30s when you add all available incentives. Unfortunately taxes and all that will hurt though. 

• 1 month later...
On 2 mai 2019 at 7:54 AM, Fingernip said:

If they really offer that much and you have any money at all to put down you could potentially have a cash sale or very very little financed. I suspect they will try and get you on the ST though. People are getting them in the high 30s when you add all available incentives. Unfortunately taxes and all that will hurt though. 

I finally have the numbers… The dealer will give me $29K + taxes = $33,342. for my '16 Titanium. I have a new one already on order and it should be here in about 2 months. The amount to finance for a new '19 Titanium will be $21,660. but at 3.99%, I'll write them a check and be done with it 'cause at that interest rate, it adds $5k at the end of the payments.

Claude.:)

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

I finally have the numbers… The dealer will give me $29K + taxes = $33,342. for my '16 Titanium. I have a new one already on order and it should be here in about 2 months. The amount to finance for a new '19 Titanium will be $21,660. but at 3.99%, I'll write them a check and be done with it 'cause at that interest rate, it adds $5k at the end of the payments.

That’s CAD I’m guessing. In USD that would be a scary deal. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Foxhollow said:

Don't do it,,,,,,!  I just inked a deal yesterday on a '16 Edge sport awd...it has a 6 cyl 2.7 twin turbo and goes like snot & sounds great when you step on it.?

Well it's a little too late now…  I did sell my '16 Titanium and bought a fully loaded '19 Titanium "elite" and couldn't be happier. The main reason why I did not buy an ST is because I don't like the chrome-less look… too much black for my taste. My Titanium is "Agate Black" but it has some chrome around the side windows, chrome grille, chrome moulding above the license plate, also the  "elite" package which adds more chrome at the bottom of the doors and lower front bumper too. :2thumbs: