2019+ Edge LED tail lights

Does anyone know if the edge all have the same taillights, but maybe have a different forscan setting? I have an SEL and was disappointed that the LED taillights are actually different from the Titanium and ST in lighting up. There is no mention about the tails being different between trims on the site or brochure. It just says that LED tails are standard and did not seem upgradable. They all look exactly the same and wouldn’t think to check that they where different in lighting up. At least the headlights visually look different and the site/brochure mentions what packages and trims give you upgrades in the headlight lighting/DRL. There are very few images I seen that show the SEL taillights on, but managed to find one dealer that shows them.

Titanium 

8.jpg

SEL

8.jpg

7 hours ago, xbreaker said:

Does anyone know if the edge all have the same taillights, but maybe have a different forscan setting? I have an SEL and was disappointed that the LED taillights are actually different from the Titanium and ST in lighting up. There is no mention about the tails being different between trims on the site or brochure. It just says that LED tails are standard and did not seem upgradable. They all look exactly the same and wouldn’t think to check that they where different in lighting up. At least the headlights visually look different and the site/brochure mentions what packages and trims give you upgrades in the headlight lighting/DRL. There are very few images I seen that show the SEL taillights on, but managed to find one dealer that shows them.

you will need to update your tail lights to get them to work, they do not have the LEDs built in. Should be around $1,300. per side and $1,300. for the middle

Edited by Nick Halstead

Thanks all for the reply. 

So the image of the SEL is not on auto and those are how they actually illuminate. In the trunk area, the only part that actually functions is the middle clear area for the reverse lights. Everything thing else is dead. Even the clear area on top that is separate doesn't light up. I would think it would be integrated with the turn signal. Not sure if this is different in the other models.

The SEL does have full LED but I guess they have much less LEDs then the Titanium and ST if it is true that the tails need to be replaced.

@Nick Halstead how do you know the prices? My finance worked at Ford and comes by monthly to help them with paper work. She has good relations and she is going to ask about parts. Also curious if it is all the same harnessing

I don't put much miles on my Edge and I actually have not drove it at night yet just because I work and do everything by the time it gets dark. The only reason I found out about this is because for the first time yesterday I saw the new Edge on the road riding along a friend's care at night. I knew the trim because of the rims and when I saw the tail lights passed by I knew it wasn't the way I thought it illuminated. 

1 hour ago, xbreaker said:

So the image of the SEL is not on auto and those are how they actually illuminate. In the trunk area, the only part that actually functions is the middle clear area for the reverse lights. Everything thing else is dead. Even the clear area on top that is separate doesn't light up. I would think it would be integrated with the turn signal. Not sure if this is different in the other models.

The SEL does have full LED but I guess they have much less LEDs then the Titanium and ST if it is true that the tails need to be replaced.

@Nick Halstead how do you know the prices? My finance worked at Ford and comes by monthly to help them with paper work. She has good relations and she is going to ask about parts. Also curious if it is all the same harnessing

I don't put much miles on my Edge and I actually have not drove it at night yet just because I work and do everything by the time it gets dark. The only reason I found out about this is because for the first time yesterday I saw the new Edge on the road riding along a friend's care at night. I knew the trim because of the rims and when I saw the tail lights passed by I knew it wasn't the way I thought it illuminated. 

Those were the prices for 15-18 and its probably the same for 19up. Top two lineup models usually have the red part illuminate and the rest do not. You would need the middle piece orherwise it would look odd if the red on that didnt light up also

1 hour ago, xbreaker said:

Ford really got them this time. It's almost a $4,000. mod, unlike 15-18. where we only had 3 pieces, 19up has 4 pieces. roughly $800 a piece for inside 2 pieces and $900 a piece for outside.
inside.png
light.png

Edited by Nick Halstead
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, xbreaker said:

:banghead:

Well that's great. 

try and wait a bit. Eventually parts will become more obtainable outside of dealers (Used and aftermarket). Check body shops for rear ended cars. We used to have a guy that bought our light assemblies by the box load. Insurance paid repairs didn't allow us to repair even minor scuffs legally and re-use on customers cars. We just sold them off in bulk and they were mostly minor defects. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! I bought a 2019 SE days ago,  and when got it home and didn't see the liftgate tail lights lit at all I began to think the assembly line worker didn't plug its wiring in. I had test-driven a Titanium the week before and saw that it had both liftgate and corner-edge tail lights lit. I guess a distracted driver approaching from behind me isn't going to see as much lit red as in the Ford.com gallery exterior photos. (Off topic, but the only other thing that I noticed so far is 162 lbs. torque for lug nuts, but I saw elsewhere on the Internet that it doesn't appear to be a mistake. My torque wrench is only 150.) I'm grateful this website exists.

Edited by Kansas City Rob
Test drove Titanium--not a SEL.

• 4 years later...

Hello all, new member to the forum. I just picked up my new 2024 Ford Edge St line. Its a slick vehicle, I upgraded (not all features) from a previous 2015 Ford Edge Titanium. Anyways, I'm going through the vehicle making sure everything works and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these LED tail lights? It seems that only the outboard side light actually lights up and the one on the hatch does not light up red at all only white in reverse. I am looking for some insight if this is normal, coming from the older version of the edge. I have attached some photos below, please see the blue circle for the light in question. At night they are still very bright but I just want to make sure everything is working okay. I have tried to find some photos/vehicles of any newer vehicles but none show the lighting configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go back and bother the dealer!

20231126_164022.jpg

20231126_174533.jpg

20231126_174531.jpg

Edited by ADHCpilot
photo crop

This was discussed before here.

• There are two types of taillights on the Edge (2015+), when lights are off they look the same. But how they illuminate is different:
  • On higher trims, the red outline lights up as the "Taillight", with the brake & turn signal lights are separate/different LEDs. On 2015-2018, the signals are amber.
  • On lower trims, the outer outline is just for show and the taillight is the same as brake lights, only on brakes they illuminate brighter (like traditional older American cars). I am not sure if 2019+ are similar to 2015-2018 where the turn signal is red, utilizing the same LEDs as the brake lights. 
  • Like 1

The line item "LED Signature Lighting" is the front headlamp, the "Mid" line. (The SE gets the "Low" headlamps without signature lighting, the "High" is optional on Titanium and ST)

The line item "LED Taillamps with Amber Turn Signals" is the "Low" line for the taillights, without the "Signature Lighting" which is the inner taillight also illuminating. Only the Titanium and ST get the "High" line.

Your ST-Line does not have the "High" line taillights, as you have noticed, and what you see is exactly what should happen.

• 1004ron changed the title to 2019+ Edge LED tail lights