Any ideas for turning off AWD?

Dukhaykh

Pull the AWD/4x4 fuse?  Check in owner's manual for location, but should not have anything else on that circuit.

Oops looks like the A/C clutch relay is also on F70 in the BJB ... so no a/c related functions if you pull that fuse ...  I suppose you could pull the connector off the AWD/4x4 module directly (located in the spare tire comparment, I believe).

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

The connector should be at the front part (ATC) of the RDU, which looks like this.  The connector is most likely on the top side.

2014 Edge MKX RDU & ATC.jpg

Thank you for your great information,

I found the connector on the same place you described above and pulled it out. It is showing now on dashboard lights saying Check AWD. Now its FWD only.

The question now, Is the ptu now still working and moving the drive shaft? If yes is there a way to stop it too ?

85F858F4-5197-4005-BDDE-DDAB7DE95834.jpeg

D5610819-ABBD-4A98-B747-D3D61891CEAE.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried also to pull the fuse for ABS and I got different msg on the dashboard as you can see below: AWD off

But as above picture, when I pull the back switch I got msg: Check AWD !

I don’t know if the first alarm means the ptu is off completely!

A6B4EE09-FE40-4CE4-A319-A7377EE25412.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dukhaykh said:

I tried also to pull the fuse for ABS and I got different msg on the dashboard as you can see below: AWD off

But as above picture, when I pull the back switch I got msg: Check AWD !

I don’t know if the first alarm means the ptu is off completely!

The PTU cannot be turned off.

The prop shaft to the RDU will always rotate as long as the PTU is installed.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dukhaykh said:

The question now, Is the ptu now still working and moving the drive shaft? If yes is there a way to stop it too ?

Good question!  I assume yes still spinning as Waldo said, since there is no electronic brain determining PTU-driveshaft connection, unlike in 2019.  If the transmission is not in P or N, the driveshaft is always engaged.

The only electronic connection 2007-18 is to the clutches in the ATC, so you can be confident the RDU is not in use.  The PTU remains in full force, tho. 

You CAN remove the driveshaft completely to prevent that wasted effort.  And quite a few people have done this, for months on end with no detrimental effect on the vehicle.  You of course lose optimal handling capability, but if you stay out of extreme situations, should be much of an issue.

• Like 1

@Special_K

Thank you for your feedback,

I am thinking also to find out some Mods by Forscan May be! 

I usually take off the ABS fuse especially during race ? because I can see the difference in power ✈️ .

I have driven my car for almost a year without any problems. I even installed a switch inside my car connected to the fuse to turn it off/on easily ? 

The problem with the fuse when you take it off the ABS system will shut off too.

I am thinking now to use my current switch setups on the back clutch instead of using the fuse.

Fuse box attached;

3E26C5F9-DD3B-466F-81AF-EB9C44869695.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I would jump in here and say I would love to turn off the AWD on our Edge.  It's a 2014, and we live in northern MN.  I used to have a Nissan Rogue, where I could activate/deactivate the AWD, and I never once got stuck as a result.  The Edge, on the other hand, we have been stuck once a winter that I can think of.  It's super frustrating for the vehicle to be trying to tell me what the conditions are when I know what the conditions are.  An on/off would be very helpful.  I know the conditions of the roads better than the vehicle does.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, trav said:

I would jump in here and say I would love to turn off the AWD on our Edge.  It's a 2014, and we live in northern MN.  I used to have a Nissan Rogue, where I could activate/deactivate the AWD, and I never once got stuck as a result.  The Edge, on the other hand, we have been stuck once a winter that I can think of.  It's super frustrating for the vehicle to be trying to tell me what the conditions are when I know what the conditions are.  An on/off would be very helpful.  I know the conditions of the roads better than the vehicle does.

Are you turning off traction control?  That’s probably what’s causing issues - it cuts engine power.  In snow you need some wheel spin.  I can’t imagine fwd being better than AWD when used properly.

• Like 3